Raw viewer

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
CameraMews New Member • Posts: 17
Raw viewer

Has anyone come across a RAW viewer for windows that has the same loupe function as lightroom?

I really dont want something complex, as I do my editing in elements, but the organizer in elements has a lot to be desired.

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,588
Re: Raw viewer

I don't know just how the loupe in LR works.  XnView does let you lock the zoom, after that each following image will be viewed with the same zoom.  Also the same offset, if you de-center the view.

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
noellenchris
noellenchris Forum Member • Posts: 73

I've used FastRawViewer for years.  It's so much faster to cull prior to LR or any other app.

-- hide signature --

Chris

noellenchris's gear list:noellenchris's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +21 more
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 16,645

noellenchris wrote:

I've used FastRawViewer for years. It's so much faster to cull prior to LR or any other app.

FRV has Quick Zoom and Pan or Quick Zoom and Drag. See page 215:

https://updates.fastrawviewer.com/data/FastRawViewer-Manual-ENG.pdf

OP CameraMews New Member • Posts: 17

Cheers, I will check that out.

DerKeyser Contributing Member • Posts: 739

CameraMews wrote:

Cheers, I will check that out.

Just be aware that a RAW file is not an actual image file yet. The “demosaicing”/development software does the interpretation of the sensor data in the RAW file and decides how colours look and how sharp/contrasty things are. 
So your quick RAW viewer - since it does it’s own “development” - will not show the exact same image as your editing software.

Ususally it’s not an isssue for sorting images for keepers in terms of sharpness and composition - but you just need to remember there will be differences.

-- hide signature --

Happy Nikon Shooter
See my articles and galleries at: https://wolffmadsen.dk

Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 7,714

CameraMews wrote:

Has anyone come across a RAW viewer for windows that has the same loupe function as lightroom?

You mean to zoom in for viewing the details quick with a mouse click? Take a look at the free FastStone Image Viewer.  It's color managed and fast for culling images.

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...

I really dont want something complex, as I do my editing in elements, but the organizer in elements has a lot to be desired.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
The first digital image was made in the late '60's for NASA, as a way to record images of Mars. Each "square" was represented by three numbers, corresponding to the red, green, and blue hue on a scale of 0 to 255. This eliminated the need to ship film back to Earth.

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads