Dreaded "lens error" on my G7X mark II

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
CaNikonianite
CaNikonianite Regular Member • Posts: 130
Dreaded "lens error" on my G7X mark II

Wouldn't you know it?  I'm getting set to sell my G7X II and I get the "lens error" on my camera.  Turned it on and the barrel won't retract.  So now, I'm having to spend upward of $150-200 to get it fixed.

I had in mind to replace it with the G5X mark II but this has soured me against the G-line.  Such a small camera with small internal parts, I can't have a camera that's so damn delicate.

Now I'm looking towards the M6 mark II.

Canon EOS M6 Canon G7 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon PowerShot G7 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Confusedabit Senior Member • Posts: 1,735
Re: Dreaded "lens error" on my G7X mark II

CaNikonianite wrote:

Wouldn't you know it? I'm getting set to sell my G7X II and I get the "lens error" on my camera. Turned it on and the barrel won't retract. So now, I'm having to spend upward of $150-200 to get it fixed.

I had in mind to replace it with the G5X mark II but this has soured me against the G-line. Such a small camera with small internal parts, I can't have a camera that's so damn delicate.

Stuff does break you know whoever makes it.

Confusedabit's gear list:Confusedabit's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-PL8 Fujifilm X-T20 +6 more
Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 1,716

Just sell it on Ebay as-is 

CaNikonianite wrote:

Wouldn't you know it? I'm getting set to sell my G7X II and I get the "lens error" on my camera. Turned it on and the barrel won't retract. So now, I'm having to spend upward of $150-200 to get it fixed.

I had in mind to replace it with the G5X mark II but this has soured me against the G-line. Such a small camera with small internal parts, I can't have a camera that's so damn delicate.

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon EOS 7D
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,745

CaNikonianite wrote:

It's always been a major weakness of compact cameras with zoom lenses.

If you are going with a system camera, you might consider micro 4/3.  The sensor is larger than the one in 1" compacts, but there are some truly tiny options with regards to lenses.

tkbslc wrote:

CaNikonianite wrote:

If you are going with a system camera, you might consider micro 4/3. The sensor is larger than the one in 1" compacts, but there are some truly tiny options with regards to lenses.

But then if you buy a m43 lens it could cost the same as a compact and still fail or fill up with fungus. Not sure if compacts merit it as a 'major' weakness.

The lenses in m43 giving the wide angle, reach and speed of the G5X are not tiny.

The 12-32 is a handy lens but half the reach of the Canon and the Olympus 12-45mm Pro is expensive and not particularly small. The other compact zooms start at 28mm equivalent.

I use a G5X Mk I as there is nothing really to match it with my m43 kit and the G5X Mk II has even more reach.

Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-PL8 Fujifilm X-T20 +6 more

Confusedabit wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

CaNikonianite wrote:

If you are going with a system camera, you might consider micro 4/3. The sensor is larger than the one in 1" compacts, but there are some truly tiny options with regards to lenses.

But then if you buy a m43 lens it could cost the same as a compact and still fail or fill up with fungus. Not sure if compacts merit it as a 'major' weakness.

If the lens dies for a system camera, you can replace just the lens without having to toss the perfectly good camera (or vice versa).

The lenses in m43 giving the wide angle, reach and speed of the G5X are not tiny.

They can be, but you have to use multiple tiny lenses.   For example the mini 12-32/35-100 and then toss a tiny prime or two in there for speed.  Like 20mm f1.7 and 45mm f1.8.   These can fit in a really small bag.

Since OP was considering M6 II, I was offering m4/3 as a slightly smaller alternative to the EOS M system, not saying it matches the 1" compacts for size.

tkbslc wrote:

Confusedabit wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

CaNikonianite wrote:

If the lens dies for a system camera, you can replace just the lens without having to toss the perfectly good camera (or vice versa).

They can be, but you have to use multiple tiny lenses. For example the mini 12-32/35-100 and then toss a tiny prime or two in there for speed. Like 20mm f1.7 and 45mm f1.8. These can fit in a really small bag.

Since OP was considering M6 II, I was offering m4/3 as a slightly smaller alternative to the EOS M system, not saying it matches the 1" compacts for size.

As long as it is still there while you are shuffling the lenses.

This whole thread is ILC puff on a compact forum based on the failure of one camera meaning they all must be flawed, not really informative and different horses for different courses.

one blind eye
one blind eye Regular Member • Posts: 408

CaNikonianite wrote:

Why not jump the Canon ship entirely, and switch to a Sony RX100 VI or VII.? Or even a Panasonic LX 100II?

Sill small and light. Compact, and no need to be burdened carrying additional lenses.  If that is what you are looking for.

Good luck.

one blind eye's gear list:one blind eye's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100T Leica Q2 Fujifilm X100V Olympus PEN-F +20 more

one blind eye wrote:

CaNikonianite wrote:

Why not jump the Canon ship entirely, and switch to a Sony RX100 VI or VII.? Or even a Panasonic LX 100II?

Sill small and light. Compact, and no need to be burdened carrying additional lenses. If that is what you are looking for.

Good luck.

They do not have lens errors then? I suppose this is with Sony's legendary rugged build quality?

Plus you can also guarantee the internal dust problems that plagued the LX100 have definitely gone then with the Mk II?

one blind eye wrote:

CaNikonianite wrote:

They have similar designs to The G7X ii and would have the same lens weakness.  That's not really a solution.

tkbslc wrote:

one blind eye wrote:

CaNikonianite wrote:

They have similar designs to The G7X ii and would have the same lens weakness. That's not really a solution.

A solution to what exactly?

This is just standard my xyz camera has broken I am never going to buy an xyz camera again which is routine fare on any brand forum.

It gives absolutely no useful information on the overall reliability of the product.

Confusedabit wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

one blind eye wrote:

CaNikonianite wrote:

They have similar designs to The G7X ii and would have the same lens weakness. That's not really a solution.

This is just standard my xyz camera has broken I am never going to buy an xyz camera again which is routine fare on any brand forum.

It gives absolutely no useful information on the overall reliability of the product.

Did you read the OP?  Or you just want to keep being hostile to me? Whatever floats your boat.

tkbslc wrote:

Confusedabit wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

one blind eye wrote:

CaNikonianite wrote:

Did you read the OP? Or you just want to keep being hostile to me? Whatever floats your boat.

Yes. I read it.

Do you want to keep being hostile to compacts on the basis of this one failure?

I will drop out now as this is just to and fro banter with a marked downer on compacts and Canon  and nothing much to learn about Powershot really here.

MyM6II
MyM6II Senior Member • Posts: 1,722

CaNikonianite wrote:

Not the worst thing you could do. 😃 (It is a fantastic camera.)

MyM6II's gear list:MyM6II's gear list
Canon G7 X III Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS M200
markwilson2813 New Member • Posts: 3

They can be, but you have to use multiple tiny lenses. For example the mini 12-32/35-100 and then toss a tiny prime or two in there for speed. Like 20mm f1.7 and 45mm f1.8. These can fit in a really small bag.

I hope this helps!

Mark Wilson

B1ackhat Senior Member • Posts: 1,980

I've had the lens error on 3 G series cameras and I baby the crap out of my cams.

-- hide signature --

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

rmexpress22 Senior Member • Posts: 1,638

I dropped my G16 from about 5 feet onto pavement onto its lens and it still worked fine after that. Not saying these cameras can't fail but I've been very fortunate with my Canon cameras and them taking heavy tumbles.

rmexpress22's gear list:rmexpress22's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Canon PowerShot G16 +18 more
dhaas Junior Member • Posts: 37

I've owned several Canon G7X / G7X II cameras. Some NEW,  some Canon refurbished and some used.

For used ones I've bought I always look at photos of the lens cover blades area to see if they look damaged.

One I got the blades wouldn't close all the way. After trying a simple fix available on YouTube (bending up the out ring gently with a PLASTIC tool)  I simply grabbed a pair of needle nose pliers and took the blades out one by one.

The lens still retracted and focussed fine, I bought a $6.00 plastic lens cap (67mm I think) and used the camera to shoot photos for a year or more until I sold it

While these lens cover designs aren't ideal it's not a reason to pass on the great combination of size and performance of the Canon G7X series.

Just one old guy's opinion!

DH

dhaas's gear list:dhaas's gear list
Canon G7 X II Apple iPhone XR

dhaas wrote:

I've owned several Canon G7X / G7X II cameras. Some NEW, some Canon refurbished and some used.

For used ones I've bought I always look at photos of the lens cover blades area to see if they look damaged.

One I got the blades wouldn't close all the way. After trying a simple fix available on YouTube (bending up the out ring gently with a PLASTIC tool) I simply grabbed a pair of needle nose pliers and took the blades out one by one.

The lens still retracted and focussed fine, I bought a $6.00 plastic lens cap (67mm I think) and used the camera to shoot photos for a year or more until I sold it

While these lens cover designs aren't ideal it's not a reason to pass on the great combination of size and performance of the Canon G7X series.

Just one old guy's opinion!

DH

Opening post is just a standard mine has broken so they must all be no good post available in all brands and models.

From what I read most mass produced stuff is routinely built to something 5% failure tolerance to make it affordable. The warranty on the whole covers this. if something fails outside of this that is just bad luck.

Couple this with the bias towards posting failure means any endemic fault never going to buy one again declaration has to be taken with a large dose of salt.

Rambow Contributing Member • Posts: 848

Confusedabit wrote:

one blind eye wrote:

CaNikonianite wrote:

Sill small and light. Compact, and no need to be burdened carrying additional lenses. If that is what you are looking for.

Good luck.

They do not have lens errors then? I suppose this is with Sony's legendary rugged build quality?

Plus you can also guarantee the internal dust problems that plagued the LX100 have definitely gone then with the Mk II?

The RX cameras are delicate and sensitive to cold and moisture, however they have solid lens assemblies. The electronics will die before the lens mechanism. Unless you drop them.

Canon's lens error in their pocket cameras is something too common to be ignored.

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads