How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji

Started 3 months ago | Polls
ms18
ms18 Senior Member • Posts: 2,972
How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji
1

EOS RP body body for the moment
RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro STM
RF 85mm F2 MACRO IS STM
A <= 14mm prime for equal fuji lens price

vs

FUji X-S10 body for the moment
XF 23mm f/1.4 R
XF 56mm f/1.2 R
XF 14mm f/2.8

Purpose of usage
Covering small events professionally. like low budget birthdays and office functions where all the equipment will be used with 2 bodies. (may rent another body and buy later)

Another purpose is travel photography where mostly one lens and one body will be used.

The Advantage of Fuji in my opinion in order
Totally smaller system when we take two bodies and lenses.  
Better dynamic range than RP

The Advantage of Canon in my opinion in order
Bayer sensor, I only use Adobe camera raw. no plan to switch.

Close focusing ability with same lens. 
Although RP has less IQ, future canon bodies will have great potential of IQ than APS-C of Fuji

I'm leaving X-S10 IBIS as Both Canon lenses has IS
PS: Although i don't have intention of choosing different lenses. Autofocus speed matters when choosing among these two.

 ms18's gear list:ms18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
POLL
Go for Canon RP setup
33.3% 3  votes
Go for X-S10 setup
66.7% 6  votes
  Show results
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,292
Re: How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji

events professionally

That can mean flash.  There are more flash options for Canon than for Fuji.

Kelly

 KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
ms18
OP ms18 Senior Member • Posts: 2,972
Re: How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji

True, but for the lights I have  both supported equally

-- hide signature --

If you like my pictures follow me on Insta
https://www.instagram.com/mahidoes/

 ms18's gear list:ms18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 836
Re: How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji

ms18 wrote:

EOS RP body body for the moment
RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro STM
RF 85mm F2 MACRO IS STM
A <= 14mm prime for equal fuji lens price

vs

FUji X-S10 body for the moment
XF 23mm f/1.4 R
XF 56mm f/1.2 R
XF 14mm f/2.8

Purpose of usage
Covering small events professionally. like low budget birthdays and office functions where all the equipment will be used with 2 bodies. (may rent another body and buy later)

Another purpose is travel photography where mostly one lens and one body will be used.

The Advantage of Fuji in my opinion in order
Totally smaller system when we take two bodies and lenses.
Better dynamic range than RP

The Advantage of Canon in my opinion in order
Bayer sensor, I only use Adobe camera raw. no plan to switch.

Close focusing ability with same lens.
Although RP has less IQ, future canon bodies will have great potential of IQ than APS-C of Fuji

I'm leaving X-S10 IBIS as Both Canon lenses has IS
PS: Although i don't have intention of choosing different lenses. Autofocus speed matters when choosing among these two.

If you are going to do events, I would go with a Canon DSLR, the 5DIV. Much better dynamic range than the awful RP. If you definitely want to do mirrorless, then spend a little more and get the R6.

 ChelseaPhotographer's gear list:ChelseaPhotographer's gear list
Ricoh GR III SeaLife DC2000 Canon EOS 5DS Pentax 645Z Nikon D850 +1 more
mostlyboringphotog Veteran Member • Posts: 9,651
Re: How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji

ms18 wrote:

EOS RP body body for the moment
RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro STM
RF 85mm F2 MACRO IS STM
A <= 14mm prime for equal fuji lens price

vs

FUji X-S10 body for the moment
XF 23mm f/1.4 R
XF 56mm f/1.2 R
XF 14mm f/2.8

Purpose of usage
Covering small events professionally. like low budget birthdays and office functions where all the equipment will be used with 2 bodies. (may rent another body and buy later)

Another purpose is travel photography where mostly one lens and one body will be used.

The Advantage of Fuji in my opinion in order
Totally smaller system when we take two bodies and lenses.
Better dynamic range than RP

The Advantage of Canon in my opinion in order
Bayer sensor, I only use Adobe camera raw. no plan to switch.

Close focusing ability with same lens.
Although RP has less IQ, future canon bodies will have great potential of IQ than APS-C of Fuji

Not trying to push RP but RP gets particularly bad rap of its DR. However, the JPG has only 8 stop (bit) DR and the prints even less. And for the indoor events, the scene DR may be even less than JPG DR.

My concern for RP would be if it's pro quality build ( having two bodies will mitigate ) ...

Good luck.

I'm leaving X-S10 IBIS as Both Canon lenses has IS
PS: Although i don't have intention of choosing different lenses. Autofocus speed matters when choosing among these two.

 mostlyboringphotog's gear list:mostlyboringphotog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 J5 Pentax 645Z Canon EOS RP Fujifilm GFX 50R
beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,204
Re: How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji

ms18 wrote:

EOS RP body body for the moment
RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro STM
RF 85mm F2 MACRO IS STM
A <= 14mm prime for equal fuji lens price

vs

FUji X-S10 body for the moment
XF 23mm f/1.4 R
XF 56mm f/1.2 R
XF 14mm f/2.8

Purpose of usage
Covering small events professionally. like low budget birthdays and office functions where all the equipment will be used with 2 bodies. (may rent another body and buy later)

Another purpose is travel photography where mostly one lens and one body will be used.

The Advantage of Fuji in my opinion in order
Totally smaller system when we take two bodies and lenses.
Better dynamic range than RP

The Advantage of Canon in my opinion in order
Bayer sensor, I only use Adobe camera raw. no plan to switch.

Close focusing ability with same lens.
Although RP has less IQ, future canon bodies will have great potential of IQ than APS-C of Fuji

I'm leaving X-S10 IBIS as Both Canon lenses has IS
PS: Although i don't have intention of choosing different lenses. Autofocus speed matters when choosing among these two.

The canon RP is full frame which is better in low light and has better "bokeh" for portraits

ms18
OP ms18 Senior Member • Posts: 2,972
Re: How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji
2

The canon RP is full frame which is better in low light

Not really. EOS RP sensor has bad quality compared to Fuji. But indeed other canon full frames are great in that department again that will exceed planned budget. but it's futureproof.

and has better "bokeh" for portraits

No. Because i'm pretty sure about the lens selection. I'd choose f/1.4 23mm and f/1.2 56mm. which is similar to full frame 35mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/2. not big differences. I understand i'm max out in aps-c and in full frame there is a chance for more bokeh if i choose different lenses. but they are large or expensive. For me f/2 in full frame is enough subject separation

So why i'm talking about canon

  1. Close focusing ability of the lenses i chose
  2. Future EOS RP may have good IQ
  3. Bayer sensor (Don't ask why :D)

What I like about Fuji

The size.

What's on par

IS on canon lenses and IBIS on Fuji

-- hide signature --

If you like my pictures follow me on Insta
https://www.instagram.com/mahidoes/

 ms18's gear list:ms18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
mostlyboringphotog Veteran Member • Posts: 9,651
Re: How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji

ms18 wrote:

The canon RP is full frame which is better in low light

Not really. EOS RP sensor has bad quality compared to Fuji. But indeed other canon full frames are great in that department again that will exceed planned budget. but it's futureproof.

and has better "bokeh" for portraits

No. Because i'm pretty sure about the lens selection. I'd choose f/1.4 23mm and f/1.2 56mm. which is similar to full frame 35mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/2. not big differences. I understand i'm max out in aps-c and in full frame there is a chance for more bokeh if i choose different lenses. but they are large or expensive. For me f/2 in full frame is enough subject separation

So why i'm talking about canon

  1. Close focusing ability of the lenses i chose
  2. Future EOS RP may have good IQ
  3. Bayer sensor (Don't ask why :D)

What I like about Fuji

The size.

What's on par

IS on canon lenses and IBIS on Fuji

I would choose Fuji for event shooting but not because RP is worse sensor quality. In fact, I believe sensor to sensor, RP wins because it's FF.

RP shows discernable transition

 mostlyboringphotog's gear list:mostlyboringphotog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 J5 Pentax 645Z Canon EOS RP Fujifilm GFX 50R
ms18
OP ms18 Senior Member • Posts: 2,972
Re: How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji

You have to stop down to get required dof. I never had noise as issue. Because I have fast lenses and I don't shoot very fast moving objects. I also use off to camera might in paid work.

In my x-t20 I'm comfortable up to 1600. Even beyond i I'll shoot of I have to. The noise also can become a artistic effect.

Even with  equivalence Still RP has low noise. But that's not even a half stop advantage. But RP has nearly 2 stop less dynamic range

-- hide signature --

If you like my pictures follow me on Insta
https://www.instagram.com/mahidoes/

 ms18's gear list:ms18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
mostlyboringphotog Veteran Member • Posts: 9,651
Re: How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji

ms18 wrote:

You have to stop down to get required dof. I never had noise as issue. Because I have fast lenses and I don't shoot very fast moving objects. I also use off to camera might in paid work.

In my x-t20 I'm comfortable up to 1600. Even beyond i I'll shoot of I have to. The noise also can become a artistic effect.

Even with equivalence Still RP has low noise. But that's not even a half stop advantage. But RP has nearly 2 stop less dynamic range - bold added

I'm trying to understand what does that 2 stop less dynamic range mean.

@ISO 200 the gray scale chart does not show much difference.

Top X-S10 Bottom RP

I lifted shadow

Top X-S10 Bottom RP

Highlight suppressed

Top X-S10 Bottom RP

 mostlyboringphotog's gear list:mostlyboringphotog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 J5 Pentax 645Z Canon EOS RP Fujifilm GFX 50R
Lumpysaurus Regular Member • Posts: 115
Re: How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji

ms18 wrote:

EOS RP body body for the moment
RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro STM
RF 85mm F2 MACRO IS STM
A <= 14mm prime for equal fuji lens price

vs

FUji X-S10 body for the moment
XF 23mm f/1.4 R
XF 56mm f/1.2 R
XF 14mm f/2.8

Purpose of usage
Covering small events professionally. like low budget birthdays and office functions where all the equipment will be used with 2 bodies. (may rent another body and buy later)

Another purpose is travel photography where mostly one lens and one body will be used.

The Advantage of Fuji in my opinion in order
Totally smaller system when we take two bodies and lenses.
Better dynamic range than RP

The Advantage of Canon in my opinion in order
Bayer sensor, I only use Adobe camera raw. no plan to switch.

Close focusing ability with same lens.
Although RP has less IQ, future canon bodies will have great potential of IQ than APS-C of Fuji

I'm leaving X-S10 IBIS as Both Canon lenses has IS
PS: Although i don't have intention of choosing different lenses. Autofocus speed matters when choosing among these two.

Is there a reason you aren’t considering a Sony body for the AF performance, which is especially useful for events? Sony FF bodies are slightly more than the RP but it competes with the R6 and there are many more budget friendly lenses. I think at this moment in time you have to be a pro to justify the lens prices in the RF system.

If it’s just between these two bodies, my vote would definitely go to the Fuji. When I tried the Canon RP I found it to be really sluggish and I can’t imagine trying to capture “the moment” with one. I’ve shot events with the x-t20 before and it was a joy.

 Lumpysaurus's gear list:Lumpysaurus's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony a5100 Sony a7C Sony a7 II Fujifilm X-T20 +12 more
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,081
Re: How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji

I think the RP has a fine sensor, but I wouldn't use a camera for professional work without a second card slot. At all.

ms18
OP ms18 Senior Member • Posts: 2,972
Re: How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji

I have not done any research personally. But this is what reputable reviews are saying that EOS RP has roughly 2 stop less dynamic range than most cameras. Am I wrong?

Even DXO mark state RP sensor very low

-- hide signature --

If you like my pictures follow me on Insta
https://www.instagram.com/mahidoes/

 ms18's gear list:ms18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
mostlyboringphotog Veteran Member • Posts: 9,651
Re: How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji

ms18 wrote:

I have not done any research personally. But this is what reputable reviews are saying that EOS RP has roughly 2 stop less dynamic range than most cameras. Am I wrong?

Even DXO mark state RP sensor very low

I don't mean to badger you nor do I feel the need to defend RP sensor.

I was hoping you or any other poster had more info on how the lower DR shows up in an image comparison.

BTW, I didn't mean to suggest you are wrong.

 mostlyboringphotog's gear list:mostlyboringphotog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 J5 Pentax 645Z Canon EOS RP Fujifilm GFX 50R
Aleotti Forum Member • Posts: 65
Re: How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji

May I say that you are comparing apples and oranges?

Enthusiast (APS-C) versus entry level (FF) - the only thing they have in common is the price level; since we are talking of mirrorless cameras looking at the lenses of your choice the APS-C smaller system advantage disappears or becomes negligible (things would be different with Fuji's 23mm and 50mm F/2).

The fact that you use ACR (with no intention to switch) could be another good reason to avoid Fuji, I ignore what are you using right now, but the fact is that every time that we change system we need to adapt our workflow even if we continue to use the same software, the best route could be to find some RAF files and try to work on them before going Fuji.

Considering that you will be shooting events, you should consider Sony, definitely, you could get  an A7III and start your journey with  what will be for years the best mirrorless FF system (not to mention the best AF system, which could prove an essential feature for you) - in any case - as it has already been pointed out - if you are going to be paid, you need a camera with dual card slots.

 Aleotti's gear list:Aleotti's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
ms18
OP ms18 Senior Member • Posts: 2,972
Thanks for very helpful answer NT
-- hide signature --

If you like my pictures follow me on Insta
https://www.instagram.com/mahidoes/

 ms18's gear list:ms18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
EOS GUY
EOS GUY Senior Member • Posts: 4,381
Re: How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji
2

The Advantage of Canon in my opinion in order
Bayer sensor, I only use Adobe camera raw. no plan to switch.

I had same problem.  Got free capture one express.  Works a treat (once you get used to the UI).  Stay away from silkypix it's awful in every way including output!

-- hide signature --

--

My Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/photonicstreetdreams/
The earth laughs in flowers.
-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Before you say (or post in our context) = THINK.
Is what you're going to say - True. Helpful. Important (or Inspiring.) Necessary. Kind.

 EOS GUY's gear list:EOS GUY's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
And-roid
And-roid Senior Member • Posts: 1,113
Re: How do you compare these 2 systems. Canon vs Fuji

Aleotti wrote:

May I say that you are comparing apples and oranges?

Enthusiast (APS-C) versus entry level (FF) - the only thing they have in common is the price level; since we are talking of mirrorless cameras looking at the lenses of your choice the APS-C smaller system advantage disappears or becomes negligible (things would be different with Fuji's 23mm and 50mm F/2).

The fact that you use ACR (with no intention to switch) could be another good reason to avoid Fuji, I ignore what are you using right now, but the fact is that every time that we change system we need to adapt our workflow even if we continue to use the same software, the best route could be to find some RAF files and try to work on them before going Fuji.

Considering that you will be shooting events, you should consider Sony, definitely, you could get an A7III and start your journey with what will be for years the best mirrorless FF system (not to mention the best AF system, which could prove an essential feature for you) - in any case - as it has already been pointed out - if you are going to be paid, you need a camera with dual card slots.

Acr/Lr with Ed tool is incredible for raf file 👍

X-S10 is way to go right now 😁

mostlyboringphotog Veteran Member • Posts: 9,651
Re: FWIW - I know why gray chart did not show the difference...

ms18 wrote:

I have not done any research personally. But this is what reputable reviews are saying that EOS RP has roughly 2 stop less dynamic range than most cameras. Am I wrong?

Even DXO mark state RP sensor very low

Just to close the thought - I thought that the gray chart represented one stop (1 EV) difference in gray level and compressed to the JPEG scale.

It's actually 1/3 stop (0.1 optical density) difference in the gray level for each rectangle.

So the whole chart is less than 7 stops and therefore the difference in DR of RP and X-S10 would not show.

 mostlyboringphotog's gear list:mostlyboringphotog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 J5 Pentax 645Z Canon EOS RP Fujifilm GFX 50R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads