Om2n transparent screen?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
brandon77 Regular Member • Posts: 200
Om2n transparent screen?

I have just got my first roll of film back on my camera and noticed that all of the shots are out of focus.

Something that may have been an issue though I’m not sure, is that when looking through the viewfinder everything was transparent/dim/not clear apart from the small focus circle. Is this normal?

Other than this I’m not sure. Any advice would be great

19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 38,866
Re: Om2n transparent screen?

Judging from the posted images they do not really appear to be out of focus.  They are grainy from your choice of film and likely also from scanning.  There are different focusing screens available and they are easily swapped.  The screen you are using has a matt area with the centre focusing aid, either micro prism, split image or a combination of that.  There are also completely matt screens and clear screens.  Have you checked the foam seals on the camera back and replaced them with new ones if they have crumbled?

Andrew

OP brandon77 Regular Member • Posts: 200

19andrew47 wrote:

Judging from the posted images they do not really appear to be out of focus. They are grainy from your choice of film and likely also from scanning.

Oh that’s interesting. This photo below was taken also with the same film, just on a different camera, in similar conditions. It’s in focus well.

There are different focusing screens available and they are easily swapped. The screen you are using has a matt area with the centre focusing aid, either micro prism, split image or a combination of that. There are also completely matt screens and clear screens. Have you checked the foam seals on the camera back and replaced them with new ones if they have crumbled?

Yes. When I got the camera I made sure they were okay first.

Andrew

ErwinFromHolland Regular Member • Posts: 148

Hi,

The focussing screen should have a small tab. This tab should be used to remove the screen, but it also has the type number etched on it.
Check which one you have and compare it with the chart, then you can judge if your are using the right focussing screen:

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/accessory/screens/index1.htm

An image of the tab is shown here:

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/accessory/screens/index.htm

Nevertheless,

Cheers, Erwin

SterlingBjorndahl Senior Member • Posts: 2,328

brandon77 wrote:

everything was transparent/dim/not clear apart from the small focus circle.

What do you mean by 'transparent'? It normally means the opposite of "not clear". I.e., transparent = clear.

Regards,
Sterling
--
Lens Grit

SterlingBjorndahl's gear list:SterlingBjorndahl's gear list
Olympus Air Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm F3.5-5.6 Asph Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 +18 more

SterlingBjorndahl wrote:

brandon77 wrote:

everything was transparent/dim/not clear apart from the small focus circle.

What do you mean by 'transparent'? It normally means the opposite of "not clear". I.e., transparent = clear.

Yes the only thing clear through the camera was the very small focus area. Nothing else was clear

Regards,
Sterling
--
Lens Grit

Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,659

Yes the only thing clear through the camera was the very small focus area. Nothing else was clear

Was the aperture wide open, as it should be? (except during exposure or when the DoF-preview button on the lens is pressed).

You may be using a focusing screen intended for use with super-telephoto lenses. That could explain the vignetting. See here for a previous thread on this topic: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62695188

Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +2 more

ErwinFromHolland wrote:

Hi,

The focussing screen should have a small tab. This tab should be used to remove the screen, but it also has the type number etched on it.

I need to actually remove this transparent screen within the camera? Wow I’ve never heard of that.  have the split prism.

Check which one you have and compare it with the chart, then you can judge if your are using the right focussing screen:

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/accessory/screens/index1.htm

An image of the tab is shown here:

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/accessory/screens/index.htm

Nevertheless,

Cheers, Erwin

19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 38,866

You only need to remove the screen to change it to a different type if that is what you wish, or to dust it off should it have dust spots on it.  Cleaning it is somewhat problematic so I would not suggest that unless it is very dirty.  It is not in the image path and is just used for focusing and composing.  I have multiple screens and used to swap them out on occasion.  I finally settled for the screen that had a diagonal split image centre with a microprism donut surrounding it.

Andrew

AE Conrady
AE Conrady Regular Member • Posts: 107

You can still focussing with your current screen, but remember to use the inner microprism circle only

Olympus OM Screens (source Olympus.dementia)

kcdogger Veteran Member • Posts: 3,212

It may not be the focusing screen. Looks to me like your exposure was pushing the edge of the film latatitude. Those old cameras are great, but film is a whole different whoopi-do. Could also be slightly over processed. Hard to tell, but if it looked in focus in camera, it probably was. Or maybe try a diffeent lens. That's also a lot of saturation for film.

Finally, did you calibrate the light meter?  It will give you different readings depnding upon slight voltage changes with the newer batteries.  My old Spotmatic is particularly prone to this ans the old mercury atteries are w.3 volts and the newer ones are 1.5 volts - meters fine, but the settings are different.  Take 5 pictures ia stop apart n the same light and of the same thing.  Meter in the same place each time.  Develop the film and choose the picture that looks best - exposure wise.  Reset your ISO accordingly.  that is now your new ISO for that film in that camera.  Then drive on and get shooting.

I don't know what to say about theviewfinder issue.  It should be nice and bright.

Peace.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads