Winter in Yellowstone with just 2 lenses

Started 3 months ago | Photos
TheVoid Senior Member • Posts: 1,765
Winter in Yellowstone with just 2 lenses

I made a last minute reservation for the Mammoth Hotel in Yellowstone over this past weekend, my first travel outing with the A7Riv and my first wintertime trip to the park. To simplify things I took only two lenses - the 24-105/F4GM and my A-mount 70-400G2 with LA-EA5 adapter. The combination proved to be just right for this trip with options for candids of the family, some fun wildlife captures, and an occasional landscape. Here are just a few pics to illustrate the versatility. Hope you enjoy!

One thing I learned about the 70-400G2 with this high res sensor is that true sharpness was elusive at any aperture wider than F8 even with shutter speeds of 1/1000 sec or faster on a slow or stationary target (hand held with good technique). Previously I was getting reasonable sharpness wide open at 400mm/F5.6 on my a77ii body if focused adequately with a high shutter speed - but I had much less room for cropping in post of course. I am quite happy with the new camera, but feel like eventually I'll look at a newer telephoto for wildlife, like the 200-600 with it's internal zoom construction, updated coatings and weather sealing.

Coyote near Soda Butte Creek

Plateau near Tower Falls

Done wearing his snow shoes!

Yellowstone River near Tower Falls

Ice near Tower Campground

Coyote, Lamar Valley

Raven, Tower Junction

Spruce forest on Trout Lake trail

Bison at Trout Lake

Coyote Pair, Specimen Ridge area

Thermal Springs, Mammoth

Snowcoach at Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel

Henry's Fork River, Island Park Idaho

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7R IV Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II +3 more
Despiser Regular Member • Posts: 301
Re: Winter in Yellowstone with just 2 lenses

These are awesome pics. Lots of zoom power to go with 60mp crop potential. Lucky to have been able to book a room during Covid lockdowns. I’m running out of dog parks to shoot lol. Definitely going to visit there in the future. These winter shots are beautiful.

Despiser's gear list:Despiser's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads