If you had €4000 to buy a set of lenses, what would you buy?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Bokai New Member • Posts: 11
If you had €4000 to buy a set of lenses, what would you buy?

Let's say you wake up one day and you now own only a A7riii body and nothing else, but with €4000 in the bank that can only be used for lenses. What would you buy?

One or maybe a couple top notch GM-lenses of your favourite focal lengths?

Or maybe a wider range of more budget friendly lenses, and have a lot to play with?

Or something entirely else?

Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,056
Re: If you had €4000 to buy a set of lenses, what would you buy?

Here’s what’s on my list ...

these are what I want to replace  my 28-70 and fe50 f1.8 I have now.

-- hide signature --

Back to bridge cameras......

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Panasonic LX100 II Fujifilm X-T200 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 +7 more
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 7,814

Tamron 17-28/2.8 & 28-75/2.8 plus Sigma 100-400 = £2,400.

Sony 90/2.8 macro £750.

All today’s prices at Wex.

Given typical lens price differences, that would leave a bit over. I’d put it towards a Sony 35/1.8 as a small walkabout lens or a filter set.

This is the landscaper’s lightweight and good enough full kit that you can shoot almost anything with that doesn’t need very fast AF or very shallow DoF.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +27 more
aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 2,666

Bokai wrote:

Let's say you wake up one day and you now own only a A7riii body and nothing else, but with €4000 in the bank that can only be used for lenses. What would you buy?

Or maybe a wider range of more budget friendly lenses, and have a lot to play with?

I think it entirely depends on what you intend to shoot.

Are you a working wedding photographer or a hobbyist who shoots insects (just for example).

An astrophotographer perhaps? Or ... maybe you shoot portraits for a living? A street photographer?

And so on... the best choices might be completely different for each.

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
PanzerSGT Junior Member • Posts: 41

The trinity from Tamron:

17-28mm f/2.8

28-75mm f/2.8

70-180mm f/2.8

And a Viltrox 85mm f/1.8

Since you said I have a body and nothing else I'd like to use the $1500 that's left over for a bag, a pair of godox speedlights and a trigger, memory cards, batteries, etc.

But you specified lenses only so I'd add:

Tamron 28-200mm f/2.8-5.6

Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro

If you can catch them all on sale there might still be enough left over to pick up a nifty-fifty.

PanzerSGT's gear list:PanzerSGT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III +28 more
JSalk53 Forum Member • Posts: 92

12-24 2.8 GM

Sigma 85 mm 1.4 DG DN

JSalk53's gear list:JSalk53's gear list
Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7R IV Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +7 more
UBrot Regular Member • Posts: 126

As pure hobbyist it might be:

Sony 20G, Batis 40, Batis 85 and the Tamron 28-200. If i buy all these used I might fit a Sigma 100-400 in??

OTOH: If I really would buy all these, I might sell most of them next near and have a completely different kit...

UBrot's gear list:UBrot's gear list
Sony a7R II Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD Samyang AF 45mm F1.8 FE
Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,592
A small but powerful lens collection

Bokai wrote:

This is my choice. You don't need many leses to do great work - one wide, one normal, and one short telephoto lens - and maybe something longer if your interest is sports/action/wildlife/birds in flight etc. The short telephoto lens might be a macro lens if you want to alternate between portraiture/landscape/macro.

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 6,659
What do you shoot normally? What do you intend to shoot in the future?

Bokai wrote:

Hard to give advise in case it is not know what you're intending to achiev?

With 4 k EUR I'd try to get a mint condition G 12..24 and GM 135 => 2500..2700 EUR and with a little down the road the new GM 35 and I'd be done with lenses.

Each of them is a stunning lens and offers so much options:

• G 12..24 => absolute asterpiefe for architecture and landscape
  • GM 35 seems to be the best 35 mm lens ever and it's fast
  • GM 135 best 135 mm lens to date any maybe best lens over all

In case you want to go a bit further for bringing add a G 200..600 and your photo bag show die complete.

the good thing on GM lenses is that their MF capabilities with linear actuation is almost like real MFing

Best ist always to get your own hands on gear and test lenses over the weekend or at least ½ h in the shop.

BUT it all comes down to your needs - in case you can specify a bit more your shooting style I am sure the lens mixture could look different to my suggestion.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM +12 more
teddoman
teddoman Senior Member • Posts: 2,829

Bokai wrote:

First, congratulations for waking up with €4000

I'd probably start out with

Voigtlander 21

24 GM

35 GM or Sigma 35 1.2

50 ZA

85 GM

I think I may have already blown past €4000 oops

-- hide signature --

Ted
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedchang/
C&C is encouraged, I'm always learning

teddoman's gear list:teddoman's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7C Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 50mm F2 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +7 more
OP Bokai New Member • Posts: 11
Re: What do you shoot normally? What do you intend to shoot in the future?

joger wrote:

This was more a question of hypothetical nature, to see how others think. If I would like advice on what to buy, I would of course be a little more specific.

My choice would probably be something like:

- New Sony 35 1.4 GM as my main lens - 1700 €
- Tamron 17-28/2,8 Di III RXD - 785 €
- Tamron 70-180/2,8 Di III VXD - 1255 €

And perhaps a Sigma 105/2.8 DG DN Macro(750€) if I somehow could get one or the other of the above cheap.

Trollmannx Veteran Member • Posts: 7,485

Would not buy any lens before needing it.

And getting €4000 is wonderful until one realize that it was just a dream... 

Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 13,413
What I bought for event work

Bokai wrote:

In late 2019 and early 2020, I bought the following for my event photography business:

• Samyang 18/2.8
  • Zeiss Batis 25/2
  • Sony 35/1.8
  • Sony 85/1.8
  • Sony 24-105/4

Due to low light, f2.8 zooms made no sense for me. Primes for low-light no-flash handheld use. 18/2.8 for tripod use. 24-105/4 for flash and outdoor abundant-light use.

Sadly, I haven't had opportunities to use any of it since March 2020...

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 6,659
Re: What do you shoot normally? What do you intend to shoot in the future?

Bokai wrote:

joger wrote:

This was more a question of hypothetical nature, to see how others think. If I would like advice on what to buy, I would of course be a little more specific.

My choice would probably be something like:

- New Sony 35 1.4 GM as my main lens - 1700 €

probably excellent choice

- Tamron 17-28/2,8 Di III RXD - 785 €

tested it against the G 12..24 - 12..24 wins hands down - fully depends whether you really need the shorter end - G 12..24 is sharper at 17..20 mm

- Tamron 70-180/2,8 Di III VXD - 1255 €

Excellent lens - was really surprised -

And perhaps a Sigma 105/2.8 DG DN Macro(750€) if I somehow could get one or the other of the above cheap.

ultra sharp lens - can't go wrong with that either

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads