Nikon trade-in program

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,202
Nikon trade-in program

Just sharing my recent experience upgrading from Z6 to Z6 II through Nikon's trade-in program. When I placed the order back in December, the II was on back order (both at Nikon USA and our local brick and mortar store). Once the camera became available, the whole process was very customer friendly and easy. Communication from Nikon was timely and clear. Camera arrived in just a couple of days and the return process was straightforward. I just got my confirmation from Nikon for a $895 refund on the return.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Prairie Pal Senior Member • Posts: 2,825
Re: Nikon trade-in program

j_photo wrote:

Just sharing my recent experience upgrading from Z6 to Z6 II through Nikon's trade-in program. When I placed the order back in December, the II was on back order (both at Nikon USA and our local brick and mortar store). Once the camera became available, the whole process was very customer friendly and easy. Communication from Nikon was timely and clear. Camera arrived in just a couple of days and the return process was straightforward. I just got my confirmation from Nikon for a $895 refund on the return.

Looking at your website I would say the upgrade was well deserved and the 6 ii is in good hands!

-- hide signature --

Ivan

Prairie Pal's gear list:Prairie Pal's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
OP j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,202

That's nice. Thanks for saying so.

ff2000 New Member • Posts: 7

Thanks for the trade-in report.  Thinking this is what I should do.

John Schulte Regular Member • Posts: 454

I am glad you had a good experience with Nikon on the trade in. 
It gives me a little lift as so far, I have been waiting for a Z7ii after sending in my Z7 in mid December. 
The Z7ii is on back order which doesn’t bother me at all. I can wait.
but...
I have not received any communication from Nikon about my return being received properly. I do have the tracking that shows it arrived at Nikon. I then expected an email acknowledging the receipt of the trade in but heard nothing. 
calling Nikon did not help- they could not tell me the status of my return. 
In this day and age, a confirmation email of trade-in received would be nice. 
If they would let me know it was received I would be fine and relax about it- I have no problem about the back order but a little communication would be nice. 
bottom line- I have to wait for new camera to ship before I find out if they really have my old one.

Am I a little crazy? Seems a little lack of customer service or someone dropped the ball. 
so.... I wait. That is my only option at this point. 
Just my experience- hoping yours is better. 
regards,

john

John Schulte's gear list:John Schulte's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR

I didn't send in my old camera until after I received the new one. A day or two after the return had arrived there, I received an email with the refund info. Good luck.

Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 5,274

John Schulte wrote:

It gives me a little lift as so far, I have been waiting for a Z7ii after sending in my Z7 in mid December.
but...
I have not received any communication from Nikon about my return being received properly. I do have the tracking that shows it arrived at Nikon. I then expected an email acknowledging the receipt of the trade in but heard nothing.
If they would let me know it was received I would be fine and relax about it- I have no problem about the back order but a little communication would be nice.
bottom line- I have to wait for new camera to ship before I find out if they really have my old one.

Am I a little crazy? Seems a little lack of customer service or someone dropped the ball.
regards,

john

I went through EXACTLY the same thing trading my Z7 for a Z7 II. Nikon does not let you know they received your camera. Worse, they won't confirm that the online quote is what they are going to allow you. Their process is to bill you full price and ship your new camera. Then, a couple of days later, they will issue you a credit for the trade-in.

I found that to be totally unacceptable. What happens if they offer less than you expected? You won't know until after they have already billed you MSRP for the new camera. That's a stupid way of doing business.

I had about a two week conversation going with Nikon support via their website text program. I got the same answer to every question I asked. "The camera is backordered. We will ship it when it is available." I finally called them. After an extensive session with a very nice lady, she escalated my case to a supervisor. He kept explaining how their system works. I kept saying I would not deal with them that way. I wanted to know what my Z7 credit would be before they shipped the Z7 II. Finally, he said he would look into it and call me back. He didn't call, but he contacted me via the secure website text system a few hours later and said they were going to credit me exactly what the estimate had been.

A few days later I was notified of the shipping and billing for the new camera. Two days later, they issued the credit. The credit cleared my credit card company the same day I received the camera. All was good.

All I can say is that it all worked out perfectly in my case. It is a poor way of doing business on their part. There are several ways the deal can go south on you. I have no idea what they would do if they evaluated your old camera at less value than the online estimate based on the condition you describe the camera being.

Keep the UPS documentation of them receiving your camera. At least you'll have proof of delivery if they were to claim they don't have it. Otherwise, just be patient. The system seems to work.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Michael
Michael Contributing Member • Posts: 657

I used the trade in program also for my Z7 to Z7II - found the process smooth.  I Called beforehand to ask some questions and they confirmed I could hold onto my camera until the new camera body shipped - which took a a couple weeks.

I shipped the camera back - keeping tracking number for shipment of course - and they sent me an email the next day showing my credit amount which what was noted initially.

I will say I felt comfortable with my trade in - I knew it was in very good condition, ever after two years of use, as I take great care of my items - so I never suspected Nikon would lower the offer amount initially quoted upon their inspection of it.

I got $1,800 for my Z7 plus my 24-70 f4 lens which was in like new condition.

-- hide signature --
 Michael's gear list:Michael's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II +5 more
shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 2,093

j_photo wrote:

Thanks everybody for sharing your trade-in experience.

May I ask a tangential question: Why are you all (not just the OP, but everybody else who are upgrading from Z version 1 to version 2) upgrading? The cost to upgrade seems kind of steep, at least when you trade in through Nikon USA. Of course I know that you can save a lot of hassle from selling your old camera privately.

Are you upgrading because you want the SD card slot, faster AF, or your generation 1 camera is wearing out ...?

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +5 more
Michael
Michael Contributing Member • Posts: 657

I think my reasons for upgrading were I have had my Z7 for two years and had around 140,000 shutter clicks - so it had some mileage on it.

I also wanted the improvements for the battery grip option, which I purchased, improved auto-focus, dual processors, after my trade in with the 24-70 lens - I was only out of pocket for $1100 - so it made sense to me.

-- hide signature --
 Michael's gear list:Michael's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II +5 more

Interesting how others are unhappy with the same program.

I wonder why someone would sign up for this if they don't like the terms? The info on the web is clear--the proposed refund amount is an estimate and is finalized once the camera is received and inspected. And how could it be otherwise? I don't think this is any different from how other companies that buy used gear work. In my case, I received more than the original estimate. So it seems like the process is reasonably fair.

Also, I didn't send in my camera until the new camera was received. So the back order didn't leave me without a camera. As well, I was told if I didn't want to wait for the back order, I could cancel the deal at any time up until the new camera shipped.

I really can't find anything to complain about with how this all was handled.

shuncheung wrote:

May I ask a tangential question: Why are you all (not just the OP, but everybody else who are upgrading from Z version 1 to version 2) upgrading? The cost to upgrade seems kind of steep, at least when you trade in through Nikon USA. Of course I know that you can save a lot of hassle from selling your old camera privately.

Are you upgrading because you want the SD card slot, faster AF, or your generation 1 camera is wearing out ...?

Two card slots and improved autofocus were at the top of my list. As legit event/performance work returns--when will that be? --those are features I will want. The functioning grip is something I might consider down the road as well. Right now I didn't absolutely have to upgrade. But I had the needed cash. And I wonder if Nikon may be facing some more supply shortages in the coming months, so decided to get the upgrade done when I had the chance.

I've also have a Z7, but I don't expect to replace that anytime soon.

shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 2,093

Michael wrote:

I think my reasons for upgrading were I have had my Z7 for two years and had around 140,000 shutter clicks - so it had some mileage on it.

I also wanted the improvements for the battery grip option, which I purchased, improved auto-focus, dual processors, after my trade in with the 24-70 lens - I was only out of pocket for $1100 - so it made sense to me.

Michael, thanks for the reply. Since your (former) Z7 has 140K actuations, the trade in makes sense. Most likely Nikon will need to replace the shutter before re-selling it as refurb. I think those who buy refurb cameras expect a low shutter count.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +5 more

shuncheung wrote:

On announcement of the Z7 II, I wanted it (GAS). But, I decided the cost of selling my Z7 and buying the new model was too much. I no longer use Ebay due to the risk of being scammed. Craigs List is not an option due to the size of the community I live in. When Nikon announced the trade in program, I looked at the estimated trade in and jumped.

I don’t need a second slot, but it’s nice to have. I do want the better battery grip, but have not ordered it yet. It’s been in short supply. The better focus, along with more options for face/eye detection are terrific. That was a big factor for me.

The thing that concerned me the most is purely speculative on my part. I fear the Z6 and 7 are near end of life for future upgrades. I believe Nikon has put in a second processor because they have become hardware limited for gains in speed. The new models will likely get upgrades in things like focus improvements that the older models simply will not be able to have. Now, the older models are not slouches when it comes to focus, but no one turns down improvements. Down the road, assuming I’m right, resale values of first generation models will tank compared to the model II’s. Those that are happy with their original models will continue to use them until they are used up. Resale is of no concern. People like me, that enjoy shooting with the best available at the time, can trade up now at a better cost than possibly a year from now. That timeframe will depend on a pro model being introduced. Z8, Z9 whatever it might be. I know that not everyone will agree with this train of thought. But, my mind is made up. Don’t confuse me with facts. 😀

-- hide signature --

Steve

PLShutterbug Contributing Member • Posts: 903

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

John Schulte wrote:

but...

regards,

john

I went through EXACTLY the same thing trading my Z7 for a Z7 II. Nikon does not let you know they received your camera. Worse, they won't confirm that the online quote is what they are going to allow you. Their process is to bill you full price and ship your new camera. Then, a couple of days later, they will issue you a credit for the trade-in.

I found that to be totally unacceptable. What happens if they offer less than you expected? You won't know until after they have already billed you MSRP for the new camera. That's a stupid way of doing business.

I had about a two week conversation going with Nikon support via their website text program. I got the same answer to every question I asked. "The camera is backordered. We will ship it when it is available." I finally called them. After an extensive session with a very nice lady, she escalated my case to a supervisor. He kept explaining how their system works. I kept saying I would not deal with them that way. I wanted to know what my Z7 credit would be before they shipped the Z7 II. Finally, he said he would look into it and call me back. He didn't call, but he contacted me via the secure website text system a few hours later and said they were going to credit me exactly what the estimate had been.

A few days later I was notified of the shipping and billing for the new camera. Two days later, they issued the credit. The credit cleared my credit card company the same day I received the camera. All was good.

All I can say is that it all worked out perfectly in my case. It is a poor way of doing business on their part. There are several ways the deal can go south on you. I have no idea what they would do if they evaluated your old camera at less value than the online estimate based on the condition you describe the camera being.

Keep the UPS documentation of them receiving your camera. At least you'll have proof of delivery if they were to claim they don't have it. Otherwise, just be patient. The system seems to work.

Glad you got your new camera and you got what they estimated.

However, I think you are confusing a couple of things. You said you found it unacceptable that they would bill you MSRP for the new camera and then credit you for your trade. Why is that unacceptable? You agreed to pay MSRP. So they charged you that amount.

Dont confuse a trade in valuation and a sale price. They are two different things,

My hunch is that, being third or fourth in the business, Nikon won’t change their actual after an initial valuation. They want to move product and if they decrease their valuation they won’t sell very many, as “word gets out.” As long as a camera is in close to the claimed condition, it is in their best interest to give you full value. It is definitely NOT in their interest to pay less.

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +4 more

PLShutterbug wrote:

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

John Schulte wrote:

but...

regards,

john

Glad you got your new camera and you got what they estimated.

However, I think you are confusing a couple of things. You said you found it unacceptable that they would bill you MSRP for the new camera and then credit you for your trade. Why is that unacceptable? You agreed to pay MSRP. So they charged you that amount.

Dont confuse a trade in valuation and a sale price. They are two different things,

My hunch is that, being third or fourth in the business, Nikon won’t change their actual after an initial valuation. They want to move product and if they decrease their valuation they won’t sell very many, as “word gets out.” As long as a camera is in close to the claimed condition, it is in their best interest to give you full value. It is definitely NOT in their interest to pay less.

No doubt I caused confusion when I said they billed me MSRP. It was absolutely clear what I was going to pay for the camera. That was no issue whatsoever. I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that.

My complaint was that they would bill me for the new camera, then not issue an unknown credit until a later date. There was no statement how much later that would be. Days? Weeks? The even bigger problem to me was that they would bill and ship the new camera without first telling the customer what the credit would be.

I was satisfied with the estimated value they would allow. But, we know a final value won't be known until they receive and evaluate the trade-in. No problem there. But, why would Nikon think it's okay to sell you the new camera before telling you what they were going to give you for the trade-in? I go back to a previous scenario. Would you trade your car to a dealer, pay them the full (negotiated) price for the new car and drive away, not knowing what they were going to give you for your old car? You must know that value in order to make the buying decision. It's no different with Nikon. We're just talking a few thousand dollars, not ten's of thousands. I asked the Nikon support supervisor I talked to about that. He said I could return the camera if I wasn't happy with the trade-in evaluation. Who wants to go down that road? It's better to sort it out beforehand. Most people would probably just take a loss over their expectations rather than go through that hassle.

Nikon had my Z7 for just shy of two months before evaluating it and coming to a decision on its value. That's ridiculous. There is no reason for it taking that long. My belief is that they just let it sit on the shelf until they have the new camera in stock and are ready to ship. I don't understand that business model. Evaluate the trade-in in a timely manner, notify the customer, and then wait until the new camera is available. It shouldn't take 2 months. It's no coincidence that they were ready to do the evaluation at precisely the time the new camera was available. It's their way of doing things.

I suspect you are correct that they will be generous in the trade-in value in the case where a camera is not quite as good as described by the owner. But, there is always the case of a beat-to-death camera being described as "mint". I'm not that guy, but I still want to know my evaluation before shipping the new camera.

As I've said, it all worked out fine for me. They gave me what I expected. And, they issued the credit within a couple of days of shipping the Z7 II. But, the whole way they do business has left a bad taste in my mouth for ever doing another trade-in with Nikon. The fact that they gave me $200 more than other online buyers were estimating was the difference in me buying the new Z7 II at this time. I had already made the decision to keep my Z7 rather than moving up. So, Nikon's trade-in program got me to do something I had previously decided not to do. They accomplished their goal, and I got the camera I wanted at a deal I was happy with. But, the whole process is not something I wish to repeat in the future.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads