Is it worth speading the extra money?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Nikon 79
Nikon 79 Regular Member • Posts: 392
Is it worth speading the extra money?

I found an excellent condition D810 with 5520 K
In order to get it, I have to trade my newly acquired D800E(excellent with 6k ) +400 euros.
Is it worth spending the extra 400 euros for the D810? Both cameras are actually the same condition with almost the same shutter count.
I am in a Delima. Should i keep my D800E and spend the 400 euros buying a Nikon 18-35 lens OR spend that money to get the D810?
What would you do guys?

Nikon D800E Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 5,112
Re: Is it worth speading the extra money?

Nikon 79 wrote:

In order to get it, I have to trade my newly acquired D800E(excellent with 6k ) +400 euros.
Is it worth spending the extra 400 euros for the D810? Both cameras are actually the same condition with almost the same shutter count.
I am in a Delima. Should i keep my D800E and spend the 400 euros buying a Nikon 18-35 lens OR spend that money to get the D810?
What would you do guys?

The D800 fixes the niggles people don't like about the D800. Other than that they take the same photos. I have had my D800 for a long time now and it's still going strong, when it breaks I'll look for a D810 until then I'm happy with my D800.

-- hide signature --

Please don't quote long posts, it just fills up the forum with repetitive information. Just replying to the poster or selectively quoting will make it all easier to read.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +11 more
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,388

If you are you happy with D800 then not sure if the D810 would be worth it.  The D850 would be more of an upgrade path.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,212

Nikon 79 wrote:

What would you do guys?

A number of us here on DPR had this discussion with you about a month ago.  If you took the advice then, you wouldn’t be here now still wanting a D810

I’ve no idea what a Euro is worth, but at $400 Cdn I’d make the switch  Cost me about $1500 when the D810 came out to move from the 800e

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
I enjoy my Nikon gear. But as has been pointed out to me "it’s a declining, decaying system based upon ancient technology" Funny that, never noticed.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
I am Bowie Forum Member • Posts: 71

Nikon 79 wrote:

What would you do guys?

Youve asked this basic question regarding your D800e in the prior weeks against the D750 also.

It doesnt look like youve snapped many shots on rhe D800e in that time since the shutter count is basically the same.

Ain’t much worse than regret and that feeling that something better is just a short reach away in the D810 - Id pay $500UD to make that feeling go away

However, if this isnt a case of serious Buyer’s Remorse then keep the D800e (get the 18-35mm) and start running up the shutter count.

I am Bowie's gear list:I am Bowie's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF Nikkor 14mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +8 more
Raticus
Raticus Regular Member • Posts: 336

Unless there is something specific the D810 does that the D800e doesn't do that you need for the kind of photography you do then just roll with the D800e and buy a lens.

I agree with others that either the D850 or perhaps a Z7 would be the upgrade path, but you just got the D800e at a good price, so don't worry, be happy, go shoot some photos. Shooting photos always solves GAS.

: )

D800e is a fine camera. Go ahead and wear it out.

Raticus's gear list:Raticus's gear list
Nikon D5300 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +3 more
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,969

Raticus wrote:

Unless there is something specific the D810 does that the D800e doesn't do that you need for the kind of photography you do then just roll with the D800e and buy a lens.

I agree with others that either the D850 or perhaps a Z7 would be the upgrade path, but you just got the D800e at a good price, so don't worry, be happy, go shoot some photos. Shooting photos always solves GAS.

When I upgraded from the D800E to the D810 one of the key reasons (for me) was Grp AF.  I forget what else was improved on the D810.  But for me the Grp AF was the big one.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z7 +34 more
Raticus
Raticus Regular Member • Posts: 336

michaeladawson wrote:

Raticus wrote:

When I upgraded from the D800E to the D810 one of the key reasons (for me) was Grp AF. I forget what else was improved on the D810. But for me the Grp AF was the big one.

I agree, that's the Group AF is a feature I really like about the D7500.

Raticus's gear list:Raticus's gear list
Nikon D5300 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +3 more
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,212

michaeladawson wrote:

Raticus wrote:

When I upgraded from the D800E to the D810 one of the key reasons (for me) was Grp AF. I forget what else was improved on the D810. But for me the Grp AF was the big one.

Also, and I'm likely forgetting a couple

Better AF

ISO 64

Better buffer

1 additional fps, surprisingly a noticeable difference

Better dampened shutter

Quieter shutter

Electronic front curtain

Could go directly to My Menu as opposed to having to go to 1st item in My Menu initially as on D800 / D800e

And a couple of new ones I realized today, that I thought would be a given. Who knew?

- Nikon manager didn't trash talk it, say it was too late, etc.

- AF not confused by snow

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
I enjoy my Nikon gear. But as has been pointed out to me "it’s a declining, decaying system based upon ancient technology" Funny that, never noticed.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
photonut2008
photonut2008 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,909

T O Shooter wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

Raticus wrote:

Also, and I'm likely forgetting a couple

Better AF

Reading Thom Hogan's review of the D810 it seems pretty clear to me that the difference here and with the D810 overall compared to the D800/D800E is the cumulative effect of a lot of small improvement.

ISO 64

This one is a bit of a trade-off. By exposing more you get marginally more, but when you expose both cameras the same you get marginally less with the D810.

Better buffer

1 additional fps, surprisingly a noticeable difference

Better dampened shutter

That's a good one.

Electronic front curtain

And another good one.

Along with the better implementation of Live View on my D500 those last four items on your list that I cited are why I find shooting with my D500 more comfortable than with my D800. I find my current combination of cameras covers all the bases here for me (D800 for ultimate image quality and D500 for ultimate shooting experience) and I would say the D850 is likely the last upgrade I am likely to ever make -- YMMV.

-- hide signature --

DPR, where gear is king and photography merely a jester

photonut2008's gear list:photonut2008's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +13 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,386

How much is a $ worth to you?

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
PHXAZCRAIG

michaeladawson wrote:

Raticus wrote:

When I upgraded to a D810, it was to accompany my D800e on the other shoulder, replacing a D700.

When using both of them back-to-back, the faster frame rate was immediately apparent on the D810.  (I use both gripped with large battery).

In specific situations, Group AF has been very useful (bif), and base 64 ISO dynamic range has been much appreciated when post-processing underwater images.  The D810 is just more polished all-around.  Makes the D800e feel a bit like a pre-production run.

As for image quality differences, other than the ISO 64/100 thing, both have been exactly the same for me.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Nikon 79
OP Nikon 79 Regular Member • Posts: 392

Thank you very much all for your help.
Trying to find more info about D800e vs D810, image quality i came up with some interesting things and i need your comments over them.Is that the case?

-The D800E keeps better DR (except at iso 64) all the way up to around 5000 iso
(see the graph)

-D800E has less noise at high iso as well as more pleasant (to my eyes) colours.
Have a look

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mingthein/14731780726

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mingthein/14568146238

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mingthein/14568100920

Raul Veteran Member • Posts: 8,595

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

-- hide signature --

Once upon a time, a girl with moonlight in her eyes

shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 2,078

Nikon 79 wrote:

Thank you very much all for your help.
Trying to find more info about D800e vs D810, image quality i came up with some interesting things and i need your comments over them.Is that the case?

-The D800E keeps better DR (except at iso 64) all the way up to around 5000 iso
(see the graph)

-D800E has less noise at high iso as well as more pleasant (to my eyes) colours.
Have a look

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mingthein/14731780726

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mingthein/14568146238

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mingthein/14568100920

IMO you are spending too much time agonizing on this issue. As several others have pointed out, the D810 has a number of small improvements over the D800/D800E. Individually, each one of those improvement is fairly minor, but adding up as a whole, it makes some difference. Back in 2012, I bought a D800E as soon as it was available (had to wait two months due to the serious shortage at the time), and I didn't bother to upgrade to the D810 in 2014. Instead, I waited and eventually upgraded to a D850 in 2019.

If this issue bothers you, perhaps it is worthwhile to upgrade just to get this thought behind you. But after you get a D810, please don't think about the D850. 

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +5 more
stretchman Senior Member • Posts: 1,145

I own a D850 but I still use my D800E as it take wonderful images.

stretchman's gear list:stretchman's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D850
PHXAZCRAIG

As someone who has shot a D800e and a D810 side-by-side for years, there is NO practical difference in the output from either sensor, except at each end of the ISO range where there is a slight difference.   But as for seeing the difference shown in that graph - no, you won't see it.

ALL of the noticeable differences between these two cameras are in the body and controls, not the sensor.  The D810 is just a little more refined, a little faster, a little quieter, has a couple more features (like Group AF), etc.    For a car-based analogy, from a driver's perspective, it's a bit like driving the 2-door version of the same car after driving a 4-door version.  The 2-door may have the same drivetrain, but it just feels a bit easier to drive.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

BISCUT Regular Member • Posts: 427

scokill wrote:

If you are you happy with D800 then not sure if the D810 would be worth it. The D850 would be more of an upgrade path.

I agree with this logic.  I had a D810 and it was an excellent camera.  Never had a D800.  Jumping to the D850 was a big difference and a lot of smiles!

Trade plus 400 EU seems like a lot for what is better but how much better?

BISCUT's gear list:BISCUT's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +14 more
calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,521

The main advantage of the D810 is the split screen in Live View which is helpful with landscape photography. In terms of picture quality over the D800e you gain nothing. I owned the D800e and moved to the D810 to get the split screen for use with my tilt shift lenses. Better to invest your money elsewhere.

-- hide signature --

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." Ansel Adams

calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850
Antal I Kozma
Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,418

Nikon 79 wrote:

What would you do guys?

I had a D800, bought it brand new when it came out. Not the E version just the plain D800. When the D810 came out I traded it in. I was much happier with the D810, it was faster and I never regretted getting it. I probably would go for the D810 if I were in your shoes.

To save up 400.00 Euros cannot be as hard. So I would get the lens I want a bit later down the road.

Best, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads