adapt zoom lens for sony a6500

Started 3 months ago | Questions
doli ori New Member • Posts: 13
adapt zoom lens for sony a6500

I am looking for a fast zoom lens (similar range to 24-70 in full frame) with a constant aperture for my Sony a6500, Sony lenses are very expensive, can anyone recommend me a lens from another company or even a vintage lens that can be fitted with an adapter on the Sony?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Heritage Cameras
Heritage Cameras Senior Member • Posts: 1,751
Re: adapt zoom lens for sony a6500

doli ori wrote:

I am looking for a fast zoom lens (similar range to 24-70 in full frame) with a constant aperture for my Sony a6500, Sony lenses are very expensive, can anyone recommend me a lens from another company or even a vintage lens that can be fitted with an adapter on the Sony?

When you say "fast" do you need f/2.8, or would f/4 do as long as it's constant?

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

Heritage Cameras's gear list:Heritage Cameras's gear list
Sony a7
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,610

doli ori wrote:

The Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SAM works well on any of the Sony LA-EA adapters. Disclosure: I am selling mine.

The Sigma 18-35 F1.8 Art and 17-70 F2.8-4 Contemporary are supported by Sigma's MC-11 adapter. There are older Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 zooms that can be adapted. Canon has an EF-S 17-55 F2.8, but it is more expensive than the new native Tamron 17-70 F2.8 VC RXD.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +97 more
Alan WF
Alan WF Senior Member • Posts: 2,946

I’m going to assume by “fast” you mean f/2.8 at the sensor.

There are a bunch of reasonable options here:

• Native f/2.8 E-mount lenses from Sigma and Tamron. Ask about them over in the NEX forum.
  • Adapting an f/2.8 A-mount lens using one of the Sony LA adapters.
  • Adapting a EF-S f/2.8 mount lens (Canon, Sigma, Tamron) using one of the EF-to-E adapters. 
  • Adapting a manual-focus full-frame f/4 DSLR lens with a focal reducer to give a f/2.8 lens at the sensor. The older lenses tend to be 35-70 rather than 24-70, though.

There are other options too, but they are likely to be more expensive. A big part of the decision comes down to how much you want to pay and how important auto-focus is to you.

I’d also comment that another option is primes. For example, the Sigma 19/2.8, 30/2.8, and 60/2.8 are great quality and very reasonably priced. I think I could manage almost all of my photography of people with the 19/2.8 and 60/2.8 (which more or less correspond to the extremes of a fast standard zoom).

Regards,

Alan

Alan WF's gear list:Alan WF's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +13 more
OP doli ori New Member • Posts: 13

I prefer from 2.8 and down, but if there are 4 at a cheap price this is also an option

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads