Hyper-V intrusion on Win10

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
AnthonyL Veteran Member • Posts: 3,449
Hyper-V intrusion on Win10

Just started recently, Win10 Pro, up to date, kb4598242 on 20H2.

First noticed when I loaded an IP scanner and noticed it defaulted to 172.x instead of my usual 192.x IP range. Then I found I had some v-Ethernet connections which I disabled and checked that Hyper-V was disabled in Windows Features.

Turned off overnight as usual and booted up this morning and the v-Ethernet connections are back.

What gives? How to kill it? Why has it started now?

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
MummRa Regular Member • Posts: 215
Re: Hyper-V intrusion on Win10

go to "turn windows features on-off" and uncheck the "hyper-V"

"Control Panel" > "Programs" > "Programs and Features" > "Turn Windows features on or off" on your Windows 10 machine Find the name of the feature/s you would like to disable--in this case, "Containers" and (optionally) "Hyper-V"

This will remove all the hyper v switches.

-- hide signature --

Quien te quita lo bailado.

MummRa's gear list:MummRa's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 +1 more
OP AnthonyL Veteran Member • Posts: 3,449

MummRa wrote:

As stated in my OP:

Then I found I had some v-Ethernet connections which I disabled and checked that Hyper-V was disabled in Windows Features.

Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
MummRa Regular Member • Posts: 215

AnthonyL wrote:

MummRa wrote:

As stated in my OP:

Then I found I had some v-Ethernet connections which I disabled and checked that Hyper-V was disabled in Windows Features.

LOL sorry, missed that part.

-- hide signature --

Quien te quita lo bailado.

MummRa's gear list:MummRa's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 +1 more
Mickey67 Regular Member • Posts: 473

It sounds like user error. Are you inside the hyper v machine in full screen mode without knowing?

ensure there are no pending updates, restart windows. Do you see the physical lan interface as well as the virtual ones?

Mickey67's gear list:Mickey67's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Canon 6D Mark II Nikon Z6 II Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +1 more
afterburn Senior Member • Posts: 1,338

AnthonyL wrote:

First noticed when I loaded an IP scanner and noticed it defaulted to 172.x instead of my usual 192.x IP range. Then I found I had some v-Ethernet connections which I disabled and checked that Hyper-V was disabled in Windows Features.

Turned off overnight as usual and booted up this morning and the v-Ethernet connections are back.

Do you use wsl? Wsl2 uses virtual interfaces for its connectivity.

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800/Fuji X-T1

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
SC489 Senior Member • Posts: 1,294

You should be able to uninstall them from Device Manager. Look under Network Adapters, right click the device then select uninstall and restart the PC.

If Hyper-V is still installed you can also open the Virtual Switch Manager and delete any additional devices from there.

SC489's gear list:SC489's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
OP AnthonyL Veteran Member • Posts: 3,449

afterburn wrote:

AnthonyL wrote:

Do you use wsl? Wsl2 uses virtual interfaces for its connectivity.

No - but I had tried Windows Sandbox and removing it got rid of the v_Ethernet connections.

So far so good - EXCEPT:

I had updated to 2021-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4598242 a couple of days ago, then unchecked the Sandbox yesterday (which took ages and a reboot to complete the process). And despite the Update history telling me that I have 2021-01 my machine has slowed to a crawl (Tiworker hitting the system) whilst it installs it again!!

Edit; PS - seems as if the update is completed so I'm not sure what it's done but certainly not the full exercise it needed a few days ago :).  Maybe just checking all components were there - I won't be bothering with Windows Sandbox again anyhow as if I wanted to test any sites the Edge browser provided needed updating each time.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads