Tamron Af to Z adapted lenses

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Jay Harry New Member • Posts: 9
Tamron Af to Z adapted lenses

So I've read that Tamron is working on making Z-mount versions of their lenses.  I was going to wait to buy the Z-mount versions but....

Then I read that all third party Z-mount lenses only work manually on the Nikon Z cameras.

So my question is then is would it better to buy the AF mount versions of the Tamron lenses and use the F to Z adapter?

Would these lenses have access to autofocus and other features if adapted?

armin304 Contributing Member • Posts: 689
Re: Tamron Af to Z adapted lenses

It depends on the lens. My only Tamron, an old 28-300VC, does not AF with my Z6. It's the same with my old Sigma lenses, AF is unreliable or not working at all. Newer lenses may be better working, but you should lookup the manufacturers web sites to determine, if they guarantee a working AF with a Z. Even when, it may change with the next FW update of your Nikon Z body.

armin304's gear list:armin304's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III Nikon D700 Samsung NX2000 Samsung NX30 +3 more
Qbalion
Qbalion Contributing Member • Posts: 568

Jay Harry wrote:

So I've read that Tamron is working on making Z-mount versions of their lenses. I was going to wait to buy the Z-mount versions but....

Could you please refer to such information? I'd love to hear that Tamron releases its new 17-70mm f/2.8 for Z-mount

Then I read that all third party Z-mount lenses only work manually on the Nikon Z cameras.

This is actually not true. Most of them are manual but Viltrox 85mm f/1.8 is fully auto.

So my question is then is would it better to buy the AF mount versions of the Tamron lenses and use the F to Z adapter?

FTZ is adding about 30mm of the length and some 150grams of the weight. I had no problem using it with two Sigmas (17-70 C and 17-50) in auto mode. Also it works well with Nikkor DX AF-P 10-20mm.

Would these lenses have access to autofocus and other features if adapted?

As long as Tamron follows Viltrox path and re-engineer Nikon protocols then yes - 3rd party lenses would use autofocus, electronic aperture etc.

Let's hope this to happen in 2021

Qbalion's gear list:Qbalion's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +2 more
OP Jay Harry New Member • Posts: 9

Viltrox auto mode lens is an f to z adaption right?

From what I've read companies doing the actual Z-mount can only reverse engineer the mount and it can only work manually because of licensing issues (Nikon doesn't license their Z mount).

So it seems like if you want to use the electronics on the lens you'd need to f mount with f to z mount adapter.

I just wanted make sure that sounded right, or if anybody knew of any other issues or things I should know before dropping a 1000 smackers 🙂.

Oh your right.  They are the first 3rd party Z-mount to offer auto-focus.

https://fstoppers.com/gear/nikon-z-gets-its-first-third-party-autofocus-lens-viltrox-85mm-f18-536350

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads