Monopod Question

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
enginemike Regular Member • Posts: 108
Monopod Question

I have read, at least in the Panasonic world, that one needs to switch off lens stabilization when mounted to a tripod. Would anyone know if this stricture applies to a monopod mount?

Thanks

enginemike's gear list:enginemike's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle Regular Member • Posts: 382
Re: Monopod Question

I use a monopod on a variety of cameras & have never needed to. The only Panasonic in the lot is a ZS70, so that may not be germane.

Jack Tingle's gear list:Jack Tingle's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX720 HS Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
lescrane Contributing Member • Posts: 737

I've always said "no", don't switch off IS. Unless you have a "magic" monopod that works with your body to eliminate all movement.

lescrane's gear list:lescrane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic G85 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
TomFid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,613

enginemike wrote:

I have read, at least in the Panasonic world, that one needs to switch off lens stabilization when mounted to a tripod. Would anyone know if this stricture applies to a monopod mount?

Thanks

I've only tested this on an Oly, but my guess is that this advice is obsolete, and the IS is smart enough to work out when it should shut itself down. Would be nice to have confirmation of this from a modern Panny body user.

s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 13,623

I think the rule to switch off OIS aimed rather to save a bit of a battery juice than prevent the shot from shaking. Once Pana implemented IBIS, they no longer insisted on the rule.

-- hide signature --

If you want to be equal, you have to be better...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +3 more
windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 16,971
 windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +9 more
Jeeter001 Contributing Member • Posts: 554

I leave the IBIS on when using a monopod.  There is still movement along all at least 4 axis for the IBIS to correct.

Jeeter001's gear list:Jeeter001's gear list
Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS80 Panasonic LX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +50 more
Interceptor121 Senior Member • Posts: 2,901

There is no need to switch off IBIS even on a tripod as long as you move your camera slowly and in some cases the issue is not so much the IBIS fighting the pan but the rolling shutter.

So I don't actually switch IBIS off at all and I have yet to see any side effects

Interceptor121's gear list:Interceptor121's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +13 more
OP enginemike Regular Member • Posts: 108

Thank you for the responses. They were pretty much in line to what I was thinking but your thoughts and confirmation were really helpful.

Mike

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,894
+1

TomFid wrote:

enginemike wrote:

Thanks

I've only tested this on an Oly, but my guess is that this advice is obsolete, and the IS is smart enough to work out when it should shut itself down. Would be nice to have confirmation of this from a modern Panny body user.

Same apply to Panny bodies on OIS only, IBIS only or DUAL IS setup.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic G85 +10 more
ikolbyi Contributing Member • Posts: 634
Monopod - No. Tripod-recommended

enginemike wrote:

Thanks

Monopod, no - leave IS still enabled because their is still movement.

Tri-Pod, it is generally recommended to switch IS off , because the IS will be working to stabilize when it is not needed. Unless you have the camera fixed to a gimbal where it allows movement.

ikolbyi's gear list:ikolbyi's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Olympus E-M1 III Canon EOS 70D Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +8 more
TomFid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,613
Re: Monopod - No. Tripod-recommended

ikolbyi wrote:

enginemike wrote:

Thanks

Monopod, no - leave IS still enabled because their is still movement.

Tri-Pod, it is generally recommended to switch IS off , because the IS will be working to stabilize when it is not needed. Unless you have the camera fixed to a gimbal where it allows movement.

This recommendation is common, but I think it's probably not needed. I tested rather carefully with my EM5ii and found no significant difference (if anything, a slight improvement) from leaving IS on:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57524987

It's hard to know if this generalizes to other bodies and situations, but I now leave IS on all the time. I'm pretty certain that the harm from forgetting to turn it back on far exceeds anything that could go wrong on tripod with IS on.

OP enginemike Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: Monopod - No. Tripod-recommended

Thanks again. Everyone has been very helpful. It seems keeping IS on is probably the best way to go. I appreciate the thought about switching the IS on and off - enough to remember as it is. Can't wait for the thing to get here so I can start testing. Got tired of holding the 400mm lens while waiting for the bird to fly and am hoping that a monopod will help resolve the issue. I'll post my results.

Mike

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads