M50 or 70D?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
lightmeter
lightmeter Contributing Member • Posts: 558
M50 or 70D?

l have the M50 and 15-45. There is a severe lack of AF prime and AF zoom lenses for the M. And the ones that are available are not cheap even used. So l got the EF to EF-M adapter and the 18-135STM, 10-18, 50 1.8 STM, and 85 1.8 to use with it. But with the adapter and EF/EF-S lenses on, the size and weight advantages of mirrorless are almost nulled out. Should l sell the M50 and get a 70D and 50D for a 2nd body? Then l could enjoy all the benefits of a DSLR-optical viewfinder, better AF especially in low light, AF micro adjust.

-- hide signature --

Bill
lf it's full frame, then l can't afford it.
Poverty cures G.A.S.

lightmeter's gear list:lightmeter's gear list
Nikon D7100 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +25 more
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dmanthree
dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 8,952
Re: M50 or 70D?

lightmeter wrote:

l have the M50 and 15-45. There is a severe lack of AF zoom lenses for the M. And the ones that are available are not cheap even used. So l got the EF to EF-M adapter and the 18-135STM, 10-18, 50 1.8 STM, and 85 1.8 to use with it. But with the adapter and EF/EF-S lenses on, the size and weight advantages of mirrorless are almost nulled out. Should l sell the M50 and get a 70D and 50D for a 2nd body? Then l could enjoy all the benefits of a DSLR-optical viewfinder, better AF especially in low light, AF micro adjust.

May want to post this in a Canon forum. Tons of discussion on the future of the M mount. One thing seems certain: Canon will standardize on the RF mount.

But I fully understand what you're trying to do. Have you considered a new Rebel? Maybe you can wait to see if an APS-C RF mount cam is produced?

-- hide signature --

---on the cutting edge---

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-200 Apple iPhone 12 Pro
lightmeter
OP lightmeter Contributing Member • Posts: 558

dmanthree wrote:

lightmeter wrote:

l have the M50 and 15-45. There is a severe lack of AF zoom lenses for the M. And the ones that are available are not cheap even used. So l got the EF to EF-M adapter and the 18-135STM, 10-18, 50 1.8 STM, and 85 1.8 to use with it. But with the adapter and EF/EF-S lenses on, the size and weight advantages of mirrorless are almost nulled out. Should l sell the M50 and get a 70D and 50D for a 2nd body? Then l could enjoy all the benefits of a DSLR-optical viewfinder, better AF especially in low light, AF micro adjust.

May want to post this in a Canon forum. Tons of discussion on the future of the M mount. One thing seems certain: Canon will standardize on the RF mount.

But I fully understand what you're trying to do. Have you considered a new Rebel? Maybe you can wait to see if an APS-C RF mount cam is produced?

Which Rebels have AF microadjust? l won't buy a body without it.

-- hide signature --

Bill
lf it's full frame, then l can't afford it.
Poverty cures G.A.S.

lightmeter's gear list:lightmeter's gear list
Nikon D7100 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +25 more
dmanthree
dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 8,952

lightmeter wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

lightmeter wrote:

Which Rebels have AF microadjust? l won't buy a body without it.

Post that question in the Canon Rebel forum and I'm sure you'll get a lot of good info.

-- hide signature --

---on the cutting edge---

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-200 Apple iPhone 12 Pro
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,292

I don't have any of the EOS M cameras, but I have been shooting with a 50D for years.  Now replaced with a couple of M4/3 cameras.  While the 50D does have AF micro adjust, I've never needed it.  May be more important for Nikon DSLR.  The 50D is really old at this point, I'm sure the 70D would be worthwhile.

I don't shoot fast action, a nice EVF suits me better than an OVF.  Plus I prefer the extra AF points that come with mirrorless.

Weight for a 50/70D will be about the same as your D7100.  So it's not clear to me what the advantage of a 50/70D would be over your D7100.  If you want to stick with native lenses for a APS-C mirrorless, I am told there are some light weight lenses for the Sony a6#00 series.

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads