Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
GreenBeer Junior Member • Posts: 30
Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4
1

Yup, I know this thread is akin to another recent thread I made (one lens...)

However, before making my pocket cry by handin $900 to Amazon - I'd like to see what I'm getting with the 23mm.

Currently I have the 35mm 1.4 and it's the Jesus lens as far as I'm concerned. The quality of the images is outstanding (far above my ability as a photographer) and there's just something unique about the shots that stand out.

While I'm not a fan of this guys videos - because he doesn't compare apples to apples - if you watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSvq0vJh8Lo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1MT7DNX6qE

You can clearly see which is the 35mm f1.4 when it comes up - it's just a mix of sharp focus, surreal bokeh and some kind of blending magic. Whereas the 23mm photos just appear very clinical.

So, what are the benefits of a 23mm?

- Full frame equivalent of 35mm - and all the lineage of the 'perfect story telling frame'

- Ability to stand much closer to my subject when doing non-posed environmental portraits (GF sitting at a bar drinking some tiki concoction. The 35mm would require for me to stand all the way across the bar.

Can any photographers who shoot with both lend some feedback regarding these two lenses. Is the magic of the 35mm f1.4 just all in my head? Does the 23mm match it? What are the pros cons?

Normally, would just buy and return it if I don't like it. But I leave in some far flung village overseas and I have to ship everything to California then wait 2 months for it to ship to me... So it's always a struggle to make right decisions before committing.

Thanks!

Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 3,506
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4

GreenBeer wrote:

Yup, I know this thread is akin to another recent thread I made (one lens...)

However, before making my pocket cry by handin $900 to Amazon - I'd like to see what I'm getting with the 23mm.

Currently I have the 35mm 1.4 and it's the Jesus lens as far as I'm concerned. The quality of the images is outstanding (far above my ability as a photographer) and there's just something unique about the shots that stand out.

While I'm not a fan of this guys videos - because he doesn't compare apples to apples - if you watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSvq0vJh8Lo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1MT7DNX6qE

You can clearly see which is the 35mm f1.4 when it comes up - it's just a mix of sharp focus, surreal bokeh and some kind of blending magic. Whereas the 23mm photos just appear very clinical.

So, what are the benefits of a 23mm?

- Full frame equivalent of 35mm - and all the lineage of the 'perfect story telling frame'

- Ability to stand much closer to my subject when doing non-posed environmental portraits (GF sitting at a bar drinking some tiki concoction. The 35mm would require for me to stand all the way across the bar.

Can any photographers who shoot with both lend some feedback regarding these two lenses. Is the magic of the 35mm f1.4 just all in my head? Does the 23mm match it? What are the pros cons?

Normally, would just buy and return it if I don't like it. But I leave in some far flung village overseas and I have to ship everything to California then wait 2 months for it to ship to me... So it's always a struggle to make right decisions before committing.

Thanks!

I failed to obtain a really good copy of the 23 f/1.4 (three tries), the best of the three didn’t come anywhere near the IQ of my 35 f/1.4 or 56 f/1.2. Better copies are definitely out there, but I kinda doubt they will have quite the same magic as those other two. For the best 23mm in Fujiland, the X100V is the way to go (IMO). If you want an interchangeable 23mm with some character, you might want to give the Viltrox 23 a go.

 Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
dontreadthecomments Junior Member • Posts: 45
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4
1

Reading around, the 35 gets a good reputation over the 23. I suspect the 'magic' comes from the narrower field of view lending itself to shallower DoF, it's easier to get a certain look.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to really get out and use them both. I've been reaching for the 35 for my local solo walks/street photography. The 23mm is intended to be my go to for landscape or travel (for those bar situations you mention, I vaguely remember what those are now..). Suspect it will be better when I can go out with other people. (UK lock down rules)

Given I've only had a Fujifilm + 23mm for 2 months and 35mm for a few weeks, what I can say is..

The 35mm feels and looks much more discrete.
The 23mm feels better built and the focus clutch mechanism is nice if you like to jump between AF and Manual focus.

I owned the 23mm first, it's very nice but the 35 has added to my enjoyment of the fujifilm system more (so far). Maybe it is magic?

 dontreadthecomments's gear list:dontreadthecomments's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Fujifilm X-S10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
jjz2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,034
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4
1

The advantage is more of... it’s a better do it all focal length for street and travel imo...

They do render differently.

I do prefer photos out of the 35. It often makes a better photo than what the scene actually was and surprises me of how it handled the scene or lighting etc.

I wouldn’t say it is the focal length and aperture, it’s the optical design itself. I had a 35 1.2 lens and it had a completely diff look to it.

but I often feel cramped in my composition. It’s not my daily driver. Prefer 23 or pancake 27 for that unless I’m specifically roaming around for more candid people photos. I’d say the 18 also would be better lens to leave on the camera, though I don’t own it.

 jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Goodglass2 New Member • Posts: 15
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4

I sold my 23mm as I felt it just didn’t have the “soul” of my 35 f1.4.  Others have, and will continue, to disagree with that statement.  I had a Canon FD 20mm s.s.c. and I regret selling it. It was “closer” to the rendering I prefer. (example shown)

Zach Arias, whom I respect tremendously, loves his 23 f1.4, so there’s that. For now, I am getting by with my 10-24mm which does relatively well for that focal length.

G3_4_ME
G3_4_ME Regular Member • Posts: 277
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4
1

GreenBeer wrote:

Can any photographers who shoot with both lend some feedback regarding these two lenses. Is the magic of the 35mm f1.4 just all in my head? Does the 23mm match it? What are the pros cons?

I’ve got both - the 23f1.4 was the last lens I bought because I thought I could get away with the 16f1.4 and the 35f1.4.  But I couldn’t.  The only reason I bought it was because of the focal length - it’s just so useful and for me, especially for group shots.

On paper, the 23f1.4 resolves more and has less optical distortion than the 35f1.4.  It’s a very good lens, but it doesn’t knock my socks off like the 35f1.4 does.  It doesn’t have the secret sauce that the 35f1.4 does.  At the same time, the 23f1.4 has never left me disappointed - it’s a nice fast lens that focuses fairly quickly on my X-T3.  I use mine a lot, not because of superior output, but because it’s a very flexible focal length.  My only wish is that it was WR.

Here are few examples from mine.

-- hide signature --

Marc

 G3_4_ME's gear list:G3_4_ME's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 4,020
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4
3

I owned both.

Use the 23 all the time; sold the 35... because it was seeing little use.

My own view was that it had little magic, but that's mainly because I prefer the 23mm FL.  MY 23 is incredibly sharp.

 bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
snapsbylloyd Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4

I have both and i would agree with everything you said about the 35 1.4. As good as the 23 is, i rarely reach for it. If im going out, i would always grab the 35 and then the 16 1.4. Maybe if i dont have the 16 1.4, i would have more use for the 23 being they are pretty much the same size. I like the focal length but i just barely use it. That’s why i am thinking of selling it and getting an x100f instead, that way i will have the 23 focal length on a much smaller form factor.

 snapsbylloyd's gear list:snapsbylloyd's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
okmarzo Regular Member • Posts: 168
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4
5

snapsbylloyd wrote:

I have both and i would agree with everything you said about the 35 1.4. As good as the 23 is, i rarely reach for it. If im going out, i would always grab the 35 and then the 16 1.4. Maybe if i dont have the 16 1.4, i would have more use for the 23 being they are pretty much the same size. I like the focal length but i just barely use it. That’s why i am thinking of selling it and getting an x100f instead, that way i will have the 23 focal length on a much smaller form factor.

I own both lenses as well. I always shoot with the 23mm and seldomly grab the 35mm. Just shows everybody is different and we all enjoy different lenses for our own reasons.

 okmarzo's gear list:okmarzo's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro2 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-T4
snapsbylloyd Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4

okmarzo wrote:

snapsbylloyd wrote:

I have both and i would agree with everything you said about the 35 1.4. As good as the 23 is, i rarely reach for it. If im going out, i would always grab the 35 and then the 16 1.4. Maybe if i dont have the 16 1.4, i would have more use for the 23 being they are pretty much the same size. I like the focal length but i just barely use it. That’s why i am thinking of selling it and getting an x100f instead, that way i will have the 23 focal length on a much smaller form factor.

I own both lenses as well. I always shoot with the 23mm and seldomly grab the 35mm. Just shows everybody is different and we all enjoy different lenses for our own reasons.

You couldnt have said it better, different stuff works for different individuals. I think OP is much better to just rent one first or buy used instead of shelling out $900 for the lens.

 snapsbylloyd's gear list:snapsbylloyd's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Holden75 Regular Member • Posts: 317
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4
1

I have both. I was in love with the 35 and used it all the time. The 23 didn't get a look in. But over time I have come to love the 23 more. I'm just able to do more with it. Mine is sharp. I've come to love the focal length. I love the bokeh from it when doing portraiture. Some of my favourite photos have been with this lens. I hardly use my 35 now, even though I still love it

 Holden75's gear list:Holden75's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
7rvar Regular Member • Posts: 228
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4

okmarzo wrote:

snapsbylloyd wrote:

I have both and i would agree with everything you said about the 35 1.4. As good as the 23 is, i rarely reach for it. If im going out, i would always grab the 35 and then the 16 1.4. Maybe if i dont have the 16 1.4, i would have more use for the 23 being they are pretty much the same size. I like the focal length but i just barely use it. That’s why i am thinking of selling it and getting an x100f instead, that way i will have the 23 focal length on a much smaller form factor.

I own both lenses as well. I always shoot with the 23mm and seldomly grab the 35mm. Just shows everybody is different and we all enjoy different lenses for our own reasons.

I also own both. Bought the 35 first, thought it was fine. As I got to know my style more I could see that I wanted something wider but did not want to give up the bright aperture. Bought the 23mm 1.4 and am happy with the result.

It seems people who like the 35mm f1.4 often choose the 23mm f2 (I think this pair is well suited to X-Pro body.) They are all good, just a matter of preference.

For me 23 and 56 is ideal and I will choose the Mitakon at 35mm.

-- hide signature --

If I didn't have 3 cameras how would I take pictures of my 2 cameras?

 7rvar's gear list:7rvar's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-A7 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 11,468
Used both extensively: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4 (full res examples)
5

GreenBeer wrote:

Yup, I know this thread is akin to another recent thread I made (one lens...)

However, before making my pocket cry by handin $900 to Amazon - I'd like to see what I'm getting with the 23mm.

Currently I have the 35mm 1.4 and it's the Jesus lens as far as I'm concerned. The quality of the images is outstanding (far above my ability as a photographer) and there's just something unique about the shots that stand out.

While I'm not a fan of this guys videos - because he doesn't compare apples to apples - if you watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSvq0vJh8Lo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1MT7DNX6qE

You can clearly see which is the 35mm f1.4 when it comes up - it's just a mix of sharp focus, surreal bokeh and some kind of blending magic. Whereas the 23mm photos just appear very clinical.

So, what are the benefits of a 23mm?

- Full frame equivalent of 35mm - and all the lineage of the 'perfect story telling frame'

- Ability to stand much closer to my subject when doing non-posed environmental portraits (GF sitting at a bar drinking some tiki concoction. The 35mm would require for me to stand all the way across the bar.

Can any photographers who shoot with both lend some feedback regarding these two lenses. Is the magic of the 35mm f1.4 just all in my head? Does the 23mm match it? What are the pros cons?

Normally, would just buy and return it if I don't like it. But I leave in some far flung village overseas and I have to ship everything to California then wait 2 months for it to ship to me... So it's always a struggle to make right decisions before committing.

Thanks!

I have used both lenses extensively. Had 2 copies of the 23/1.4. Both were incredibly sharp have a look at this image:

100% crop:

In my opinion it doesn't get much sharper and more detailed than this! But, hey, what do I know aye??

Before I bought "into" the RX1 series (RX1, RX1R and now the RX1RII) I used the 23/1.4 often as my only lens. Here are some pics I took in 2014 (!!!??) with the X-E2. The images might still give you an idea as to how the 23/1.4 renders certain scenes:

.. and maybe some portraits?

A bit too wide to do true close ups in my opinion ...

Took some real close ups with the 35/1.4 though, some people here will see distortion that would rule this image out from any application, but since I am blissfully oblivious to those things I never culled this image:

Now regarding your trip: truth is that a lot of stuff would work, BUT ... when you look back in maybe 10 or 20 years time, it is often the detail that matters, not the total grandness of Tulum, but the isolated image of your girlfriend near the opera house in Guanajuato (or wherever ...) Cityscapes can be a bit of a yeah/nah thing in hindsight, but portraits - in particular the intimate type - will last for a lifetime.

So in short, let me throw this into the works for you after you got so much "get the 100-400/5.6" or the "brick", I would truly recommend to take the 35/1.4 no matter what ... that one lens you might regret to have left at home.

Here some shots taken with the 35/1.4, random locations:

As another little spanner in the mix: I could easily imagine taking the 14/2.8 plus the 35/1.4 on any trips I have ever done without missing much ...

Deed

 deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony a7C Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +9 more
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,370
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4
2

Hi,

I own both.  They're both excellent, but they are different.  The 23mm is to me a much more 'universal' FL, but then I'm more into landscape and nature than taking images of people in low-lit bars. I don't use it much wide open - I'm not particularly impressed with it at f1.4, but often need more DOF anyway.  I'm very impressed with it a few stops down and it's probably my most used FL.

When I do take people, the 35mm is often exactly the right lens.  (It's sometimes exactly the right lens for landscapes too, depending on what's in front of you.)  And it can excel in both - it has the rendering at wide apertures that appeals to so many people here.  You won't see it mentioned as often, but it's also very sharp across the frame when well stopped down.

I'm happy owning and carrying both.

Cheers, Rod

 Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +16 more
jjz2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,034
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4

7rvar wrote:

okmarzo wrote:

snapsbylloyd wrote:

I have both and i would agree with everything you said about the 35 1.4. As good as the 23 is, i rarely reach for it. If im going out, i would always grab the 35 and then the 16 1.4. Maybe if i dont have the 16 1.4, i would have more use for the 23 being they are pretty much the same size. I like the focal length but i just barely use it. That’s why i am thinking of selling it and getting an x100f instead, that way i will have the 23 focal length on a much smaller form factor.

I own both lenses as well. I always shoot with the 23mm and seldomly grab the 35mm. Just shows everybody is different and we all enjoy different lenses for our own reasons.

I also own both. Bought the 35 first, thought it was fine. As I got to know my style more I could see that I wanted something wider but did not want to give up the bright aperture. Bought the 23mm 1.4 and am happy with the result.

It seems people who like the 35mm f1.4 often choose the 23mm f2 (I think this pair is well suited to X-Pro body.) They are all good, just a matter of preference.

For me 23 and 56 is ideal and I will choose the Mitakon at 35mm.

Yes I have 23 f2 and 35 1.4. I picked 23 f2 for several reasons, to keep size down, for af capability in street shooting, it’s slightly wider focal length, and for wr.

when using the 35 1.4, I generally pick it for subject separation at a normal focal length rather than its low light capability.

 jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 11,905
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4
4

I owned the 23 f1.4 and sold it.  You are right in your observations concerning the 35 f1.4 and 23.  The 35 mm equivalent has been the traditional lens on fixed lens 35 mm cameras for one reason - it is a good compromise if one cannot change lenses.  But like any compromise it is a trade off in that it is often too short and often two long.  It's a compromise but not a Goldilocks lens.  My Goldilocks lens is the 35 f1.4.  If I wanted wide angle, I'd grab a true wide angle lens like the 18 or 16 mm.

The rendering of the 23 f1.3 is okay, slightly better than the 23 f2 ( the f2 version is more clinical).  But the f2 version is smaller and less expensive and for the few times I need a 23 I use the f2 version preferring not to having a lot of money tied up in that focal length.

A lot depends on how you see the world and want to render the world.  Some just prefer the 23, others want to move in a bit and prefer the 35.  So to a great extend the big difference is the focal length preference.  Only one person can answer the question of which focal length perspective do you prefer.

-- hide signature --

"The winds of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears," Arabic Proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

 Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +12 more
DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,860
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4

GreenBeer wrote:

Normally, would just buy and return it if I don't like it. But I leave in some far flung village overseas and I have to ship everything to California then wait 2 months for it to ship to me... So it's always a struggle to make right decisions before committing.

Thanks!

Which village and will one of the camera-rental companies ship to you?

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

 DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
OP GreenBeer Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4
1

Truman Prevatt wrote:

I owned the 23 f1.4 and sold it. You are right in your observations concerning the 35 f1.4 and 23. The 35 mm equivalent has been the traditional lens on fixed lens 35 mm cameras for one reason - it is a good compromise if one cannot change lenses. But like any compromise it is a trade off in that it is often too short and often two long. It's a compromise but not a Goldilocks lens. My Goldilocks lens is the 35 f1.4. If I wanted wide angle, I'd grab a true wide angle lens like the 18 or 16 mm

Sure. Thanks.

I just fear going on a 5 month trip with the 35mm f1.4 because I often like to capture night shots in clubs or bars, or just quick shops of food vendors at night, etc. On the fly - without having to really setup the shot too much.

For daytime shooting I'm sure I'll use the 16mm cause I love it.

The 23mm f1.4 seems like a good compromise because it allows me to physically be closer to my subject while retaining low light capabilities.

However, as another poster mentioned the 35mm f1.4 has a 'soul' - I know that will sound silly to many - but the portraits often just come out looking more artistic, dramatic, and with a strange darkness to them.

The 23mm as far as I've seen (and ALL of the other fuji lenses I own are very clinical. Tack sharp, accurate, but without that soul.

But asking about the soul of a lens on the forum might cause collective eye rolls.

I dearly love the 35mm - was hoping the 23mm f.14 had a bit of that magic. Over the last week I've been shooting with 27mm, 23mm f2, and they surely are reasonable - but they don't capture that unexpected... something...

I'll probs buy the 23mm f1.4 this weekend and just test it out for myself and hope for best.

okmarzo Regular Member • Posts: 168
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4

GreenBeer wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

I owned the 23 f1.4 and sold it. You are right in your observations concerning the 35 f1.4 and 23. The 35 mm equivalent has been the traditional lens on fixed lens 35 mm cameras for one reason - it is a good compromise if one cannot change lenses. But like any compromise it is a trade off in that it is often too short and often two long. It's a compromise but not a Goldilocks lens. My Goldilocks lens is the 35 f1.4. If I wanted wide angle, I'd grab a true wide angle lens like the 18 or 16 mm

Sure. Thanks.

I just fear going on a 5 month trip with the 35mm f1.4 because I often like to capture night shots in clubs or bars, or just quick shops of food vendors at night, etc. On the fly - without having to really setup the shot too much.

For daytime shooting I'm sure I'll use the 16mm cause I love it.

The 23mm f1.4 seems like a good compromise because it allows me to physically be closer to my subject while retaining low light capabilities.

However, as another poster mentioned the 35mm f1.4 has a 'soul' - I know that will sound silly to many - but the portraits often just come out looking more artistic, dramatic, and with a strange darkness to them.

The 23mm as far as I've seen (and ALL of the other fuji lenses I own are very clinical. Tack sharp, accurate, but without that soul.

But asking about the soul of a lens on the forum might cause collective eye rolls.

I dearly love the 35mm - was hoping the 23mm f.14 had a bit of that magic. Over the last week I've been shooting with 27mm, 23mm f2, and they surely are reasonable - but they don't capture that unexpected... something...

I'll probs buy the 23mm f1.4 this weekend and just test it out for myself and hope for best.

Yes, many say the 50mm equivalent has soul. However many would argue the 35mm equivalent has even MORE soul. My best friend thinks the 85mm has the most soul. My neighbor that's been shooting for 50 plus years may think we're all wrong and feels the 18mm has the most soul.

How does one define and describe soul? So if I wanted to shoot the Grand Canyon would you say the 50mm is the best focal length that's going to capture the spirit of the canyons and valleys? I wouldn't say you're wrong but I wouldn't say you're right either. Every focal length is unique in it's on way. Depends on how we use it. I truly believe that choosing which has the most soul is VERY subjective.

I attached 4 images that's shot with 23mm f1.4 and f2. Do you feel that I should have used my 35mm (50mm equivalent) in this situation? Personally, I'm glad I shot with this focal length. It has plenty of soul for me. Perhaps not enough soul for you though.

I really hope I don't come off as upset.

Enlarge to view more soul

Enlarge to view more soul

Enlarge to view more soul

-- hide signature --
 okmarzo's gear list:okmarzo's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro2 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-T4
OP GreenBeer Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4
4

Well, I just ordered the 23mm f1.4 - so guess I'll see how it compares to 35mm f1.4.

Will report back in.

Appreciate the debate and feedback.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads