The Flame and Horsehead!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
ZoranVidrih
ZoranVidrih Forum Member • Posts: 75
The Flame and Horsehead!

My first image after i had my d7200 astromodified. So far it doesn't disappoint.

The Flame and Horsehead!

33x6 minutes
Nikon d7200 (modified) @ISO200
Sigma 150-600 @600mm f6,3
Ioptron CEM70

Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bolthead
bolthead Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: The Flame and Horsehead!

Fantastic. How did you modify your camera?

bolthead's gear list:bolthead's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED +6 more
Jared Willson Senior Member • Posts: 1,124

ZoranVidrih wrote:

My first image after i had my d7200 astromodified. So far it doesn't disappoint.

The Flame and Horsehead!

33x6 minutes
Ioptron CEM70

Very nice result!  Can you tell us a bit about the sky conditions? We’re you somewhere dark? What about the processing involved?  Again, well done.

Jared Willson's gear list:Jared Willson's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica SL2 Hasselblad X1D II 50C Hasselblad XCD 21mm F4 Hasselblad XCD 30mm F3.5 +8 more
ZoranVidrih
OP ZoranVidrih Forum Member • Posts: 75

Thank you,

It is standard Ha astromodification - replacement of glass in front of sensor, which allows to pass through wider spectrum of light, specifically toward IR. (More red).

I live in bortle4 area, no filter were used for this. Images were stacked and edited in Pixinsight, with final touches done in Lightroom and Photoshop.

82Virago Regular Member • Posts: 272

Very nice. ISO 200, that is surprising. I am understanding more why questions regarding astro mods are popping up .

I have about the same integration time, but at ISO 1600, non modified, much noisier as would be expected.

Cheers

Kazmarov Contributing Member • Posts: 882

That is really nice Zoran!

Kazmarov's gear list:Kazmarov's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D90 Nikon D5500 Canon EOS 60D Nikon D7200 +10 more
Trollmannx Veteran Member • Posts: 7,476

ZoranVidrih wrote:

Thank you,

It is standard Ha astromodification - replacement of glass in front of sensor, which allows to pass through wider spectrum of light, specifically toward IR. (More red).

Seems you are a wise one.

Ha mod seems to be the best option for general astrophotography as there is no need for an additional UV and IR cut filter.

Would go full spectrum only if shooting ordinary IR landscapes.

Astronomically there are no IR objects to record anyway (that light is blocked by the atmosphere anyway). But Ha - that's it!

I live in bortle4 area, no filter were used for this. Images were stacked and edited in Pixinsight, with final touches done in Lightroom and Photoshop.

ZoranVidrih
OP ZoranVidrih Forum Member • Posts: 75

82Virago wrote:

Very nice. ISO 200, that is surprising. I am understanding more why questions regarding astro mods are popping up .

I have about the same integration time, but at ISO 1600, non modified, much noisier as would be expected.

Cheers

With cem70 i have the luxury of long exposures at low iso and maximum dynamic range.

That is important with such motive that has a very bright star and faint nebula.

Jared Willson Senior Member • Posts: 1,124

82Virago wrote:

Cheers

The D7200 is very nearly ISO invariant, meaning that shooting at ISO 200 and boosting exposure in software by three stops has no real penalty in terms of noise performance vs. shooting at ISO 1600. This can help on subjects like the Horsehead with bright stars since it allows lots of dynamic range in each sub—less tendency to clip highlights at the lower ISO. Differences in noise are probably down to Ha sensitivity, sky quality, and processing rather than ISO used.

Jared Willson's gear list:Jared Willson's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica SL2 Hasselblad X1D II 50C Hasselblad XCD 21mm F4 Hasselblad XCD 30mm F3.5 +8 more
greg kozlik Regular Member • Posts: 103

So the optics were Sigma 150-600mm?  Pretty impressive for a photo lens.

greg kozlik's gear list:greg kozlik's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX10 IV Sony RX1R II Leica M-P (Typ 240) Sony a7R IV +16 more
Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 5,079

ZoranVidrih wrote:

The Flame and Horsehead!

33x6 minutes
Ioptron CEM70

Stunner!

-Martin P

Lensmate's gear list:Lensmate's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VII Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads