Where is a Sony 40mm f1.4 GM? There are enough 35mms

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
StefanMunich Forum Member • Posts: 81
Where is a Sony 40mm f1.4 GM? There are enough 35mms

Similar size and weight to the new 35mm GM but nicer focal length would be great.

StefanMunich's gear list:StefanMunich's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +4 more
Ken Sky Regular Member • Posts: 407
Re: Where is a Sony 40mm f1.4 GM? There are enough 35mms

Not going to happen for the forseeable future.

Ken Sky's gear list:Ken Sky's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony a7R IV +10 more
Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,587

StefanMunich wrote:

Similar size and weight to the new 35mm GM but nicer focal length would be great.

What is the real world diffrences when using a 40 mm versus 35 mm lens?

Not much when it comes to angle of view (crop of the view seen from the camera position), and not even much of a difference when you use the lens for the perspective (distance from camera to subject, to affect how the story told).

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 18,271

40mm is the best FL. Unfortunately all the 40s for Sony FE come with some huge caveat. Better than literally nothing though, I guess. I still have fond memories of the CV 40/1.2.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 6,648
Crop baby - crop

The GM 35 seem TSO be so incredible sharp wide open that you can easily crop it too the field of view of any 40 mm lens and still be Milenas ahead in contrast and resolution - at least if you start with enough pixels.

I‘vecompiled a chart comparing the mtf 50 tests from lenstip.com illustrating an indication of what the GM 35 could be capable of. Further tests will surely bring more evidence later.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM +12 more
aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 2,662

StefanMunich wrote:

Expect a 50mm GM next. It is long overdue.

Alternately, simply crop a 35mm ever so slightly while you're waiting (there is almost no difference).

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
Trollmannx Veteran Member • Posts: 7,485

sportyaccordy wrote:

40mm is the best FL.

For all?

Ideally the perfect normal lens for a FF camera should have 43 mm focal lenght, just like the diagonal of the image format.

That would blow away any other lens ever made!

Unfortunately all the 40s for Sony FE come with some huge caveat. Better than literally nothing though, I guess. I still have fond memories of the CV 40/1.2.

UBrot Regular Member • Posts: 126

aSevenArr wrote:

Alternately, simply crop a 35mm ever so slightly while you're waiting (there is almost no difference).

It's just not the same as composing the image as-is in the viewfinder.

I'd also really like a 40mm prime. It sits so nicely inbetween 35 and 50 and eliminates my need for both (Which might be the reason hardly a lensmaker offers one...).

So, still saving up on the 40mm Batis...

UBrot's gear list:UBrot's gear list
Sony a7R II Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD Samyang AF 45mm F1.8 FE
Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,587

UBrot wrote:

I'd also really like a 40mm prime. It sits so nicely inbetween 35 and 50 and eliminates my need for both

Is really both needed? Pick the one that suit your style of shooting, and both will serve the photographer well for creating image content where such focal lengths have their place, I would say.

What about the gap between 50 mm and 85 mm. Need a 60 mm or 70 mm primes? or a 65 mm? Just wondering.

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,619

Trollmannx wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

40mm is the best FL.

For all?

Ideally the perfect normal lens for a FF camera should have 43 mm focal lenght, just like the diagonal of the image format.

Unfortunately all the 40s for Sony FE come with some huge caveat. Better than literally nothing though, I guess. I still have fond memories of the CV 40/1.2.

The Sigma 45mm is more of a 43mm. It is very close in angle-of-view to the Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited. It is wider than my other 45's but narrower than my 40's.

The Canon EF 40mm F2.8 STM is pretty good and very inexpensive. Sony hasn't ever offered a prime between 36-49 mm, but they could.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +96 more
UBrot Regular Member • Posts: 126

Magnar W wrote:

UBrot wrote:

I'd also really like a 40mm prime. It sits so nicely inbetween 35 and 50 and eliminates my need for both

Is really both needed? Pick the one that suit your style of shooting, and both will serve the photographer well for creating image content where such focal lengths have their place, I would say.

What about the gap between 50 mm and 85 mm. Need a 60 mm or 70 mm primes? or a 65 mm? Just wondering.

Photography is just my hobby, so I don't really 'need' any lenses. Or a camera for that matter...

But it really is about the gapping so to speak.

I had a 35 and a 50 but hardly took both of these on photo walks. I like to travel lightweight, so most of the time it was just the 35 and a wideangle lens. 35 is quite a universal FL, but then again for me it misses the more normalish field of view.

I tried a 40 and really like it. It just seems to be my jack-of-all-trades lens.

At the moment my kit consists of Tamron 20mm - Konica 40mm - Minolta MD 135mm. Goal is to get the 40mm Batis and perhaps I'll exchange the 135 with a modern 85 with AF.

UBrot's gear list:UBrot's gear list
Sony a7R II Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD Samyang AF 45mm F1.8 FE

Trollmannx wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

40mm is the best FL.

For all?

I'm being silly

But for me a 40 combines the best of a 35 and 50. Maybe a 43 would be good but I found the Samyang 45 to be just a hair too long to do it all.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
OP StefanMunich Forum Member • Posts: 81

sportyaccordy wrote:

I'm being silly But for me a 40 combines the best of a 35 and 50. Maybe a 43 would be good but I found the Samyang 45 to be just a hair too long to do it all.

YES, at least you, sportyaccordy, got me. I am feeling exactly that way.

Never liked all the more normal foca lengths like 35, 50, 55, 58 and tried and tried, until I checked out Batis 40 and Samyang 45. At the end I kept Batis 40 as „Samyang 45 was just a hair too long“.

35 on the other side was some hairs too wide.

Before finding that out I would have argued like many other here giving some hints like „thats rougly the same“, „crop in post“. That is not the same when you are on the street with your camera.

Sony a7R IV Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +4 more
OP StefanMunich Forum Member • Posts: 81

A nice article about that:

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/why-40mm.html

(got that here in the forum from someone open minded :-))

Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 7,697

At least there's some third party options with AF at 40 & 45mm, if you like 28mm the only option seems to be the aging 28/2... I like 40mm myself btw but will likely end up with the 35 GM, at this point I think it's more likely Sigma would attempt a 40mm Art DN rather than Sony. Would be a good way to slot in a smaller f1.4 without it getting confused with the 35/1.2 IMO, plus they had a DSLR 40/1.4.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +27 more
Trollmannx Veteran Member • Posts: 7,485

sportyaccordy wrote:

Trollmannx wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

40mm is the best FL.

For all?

I'm being silly

Who are not?

But for me a 40 combines the best of a 35 and 50. Maybe a 43 would be good but I found the Samyang 45 to be just a hair too long to do it all.

In my case the 35mm makes the 55mm redundant, and the 55mm makes the 35mm redundant. Both give pretty much a natural looking perspective. Give me any of the two lenses and I will show you loads of images.

Did shoot 35mm + 85mm for years in the era of photographic film. A compact and extremely versatile combo. Did never feel that something was lacking. By changing the perspective images can get a slightly wider or more compressed look anyway.

Jojophotomo Regular Member • Posts: 160

sportyaccordy wrote:

40mm is the best FL. Unfortunately all the 40s for Sony FE come with some huge caveat. Better than literally nothing though, I guess. I still have fond memories of the CV 40/1.2.

Brah 28mm is the best focal length!!!

Jojophotomo's gear list:Jojophotomo's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a1 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 20mm F1.8G
Malling Regular Member • Posts: 231

StefanMunich wrote:

GM seems to follow standard focal ranges eg. 24, 35, 85, 135, 400, 600. That for me clearly indicate that Sony has no plan to offer in between lenses in GM quality.

In between and special lenses seem to be launched in G class quality eg. 20, 90mm this should mean that a 40 and 65mm would be G class, I’m almost certain Sony will launch G class lenses at those focal ranges down the line. When it’s gonna happen is up in the air.

the next GM will be 16mm later this year and certainly followed by 50mm next or the following year. I’m also anticipating another long telephoto prime down the line.

Jojophotomo wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Brah 28mm is the best focal length!!!

28mm might be the worst focal length. Not wide enough for architecture/landscapes but too wide for people

-- hide signature --

panther fan Contributing Member • Posts: 619
Re: Crop baby - crop

joger wrote:

The GM 35 seem TSO be so incredible sharp wide open that you can easily crop it too the field of view of any 40 mm lens and still be Milenas ahead in contrast and resolution - at least if you start with enough pixels.

I‘vecompiled a chart comparing the mtf 50 tests from lenstip.com illustrating an indication of what the GM 35 could be capable of. Further tests will surely bring more evidence later.

The problem with cropping is the pre-visualization.

Because Sony is amazingly stubborn if it comes to the user interface:

-JPEG aspect ratio selection is very limited

-Stepless clear image zoom works only if you disable RAW

-Marker Display, Guideframe and Safety Zone are only available in the video mode

So if you want to visualize crop factors other than 1.5 in the viewfinder, or if you want to visualize other aspect ratios you are stuck on Sony bodies

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads