Best lens for....

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
renixx
renixx Regular Member • Posts: 373
Best lens for....

Hi everyone,
For some time I have been doing lightpainting with FF body (Nikon) but for Christmas my daughter gave me an Olympus M10 mark II and I noticed that it has the great LiveCOMP utility designed for sill life and lightpainting.
Considering that for the Lightpainting on FF I use focal lengths from 40 to 70mm, and obviously in manual focus, what kind of lens do you recommend that have a very good overall performance? I would use it from f/8 to f/16 ... I've seen both Lumix G 25/1.7 and Olympus 17 2.8 ... but I'm not sure of their quality for my shots. What do you recommend? Being a job in which autofocus is not necessary, I also evaluate some manual focus lenses... Thanks

Leica M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Eric Gerards
Eric Gerards Regular Member • Posts: 101
Re: Best lens for....

renixx wrote:

Hi everyone,
For some time I have been doing lightpainting with FF body (Nikon) but for Christmas my daughter gave me an Olympus M10 mark II and I noticed that it has the great LiveCOMP utility designed for sill life and lightpainting.
Considering that for the Lightpainting on FF I use focal lengths from 40 to 70mm, and obviously in manual focus, what kind of lens do you recommend that have a very good overall performance? I would use it from f/8 to f/16 ... I've seen both Lumix G 25/1.7 and Olympus 17 2.8 ... but I'm not sure of their quality for my shots. What do you recommend? Being a job in which autofocus is not necessary, I also evaluate some manual focus lenses... Thanks

I think it entirely depends on the composition that you have in mind. When a lens is able to produce a more than decent image with normal photography, it will also be possible to make a LiveCOMP image with it.

The last LiveCOMP image I took, was taken with the Olympus 12-40mm lens:

And here is one taken August last year using the Olympus 9-18mm:

Eric Gerards's gear list:Eric Gerards's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon EOS 5D Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
addlightness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,364

Olympus 25/1.8 - small, sharp and good micro-contrast.

addlightness's gear list:addlightness's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens +10 more
stokey Regular Member • Posts: 447

Clickbait titles are very annoying. It would help if you included the purpose for which you need the lens, there's plenty of room in the title to be more specific.

Bob

stokey's gear list:stokey's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
renixx
OP renixx Regular Member • Posts: 373

stokey wrote:

Clickbait titles are very annoying. It would help if you included the purpose for which you need the lens, there's plenty of room in the title to be more specific.

Bob

I'm sorry... as I wrote, I shot Lightpainting and still life, and then I'm looking for a good lens to use on studio...

Peter Del Veteran Member • Posts: 7,098

This was taken

Basket of Lights

Peter Del

using an Olympus 14-150

Peter Del's gear list:Peter Del's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +5 more
Interceptor121 Senior Member • Posts: 2,909

Sigma 30mm 1.4 is very cost effective works very well on Olympus bodies

Interceptor121's gear list:Interceptor121's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +13 more
scbwr
scbwr Regular Member • Posts: 133

With the info provided, I'm not sure how anyone can give you an answer, or perhaps I'm not understanding what characteristics you are looking for in a lens.

We're fortunate to have a wide ranges of lenses available for the micro 4/3 system.  Based on my experiences as I've gone from kit lenses to a couple of pro lenses and some prime lenses, for a general purpose lens, the Oly 12-40 Pro is a good choice and is my all around lens along with the recently acquired 40-150 Pro.  I'm also very pleased with the Oly 17 1.8, 45mm 1.8, 30mm macro and 60mm macro lenses.  But there are other lenses I'm sure I would enjoy using.

I suggest providing a little more info on specifically what you are looking for and I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions.

scbwr's gear list:scbwr's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
renixx
OP renixx Regular Member • Posts: 373

scbwr wrote:

With the info provided, I'm not sure how anyone can give you an answer, or perhaps I'm not understanding what characteristics you are looking for in a lens.

We're fortunate to have a wide ranges of lenses available for the micro 4/3 system. Based on my experiences as I've gone from kit lenses to a couple of pro lenses and some prime lenses, for a general purpose lens, the Oly 12-40 Pro is a good choice and is my all around lens along with the recently acquired 40-150 Pro. I'm also very pleased with the Oly 17 1.8, 45mm 1.8, 30mm macro and 60mm macro lenses. But there are other lenses I'm sure I would enjoy using.

I suggest providing a little more info on specifically what you are looking for and I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions.

Meanwhile, thanks for the reply. I am essentially looking for a lens between 40 / 60mm (in Fullframe) that has an excellent rendering of colors and details ... then, as mentioned, if it is not autofocus it is not a problem

jeffharris
jeffharris Forum Pro • Posts: 10,609

renixx wrote:

scbwr wrote:

We're fortunate to have a wide ranges of lenses available for the micro 4/3 system. Based on my experiences as I've gone from kit lenses to a couple of pro lenses and some prime lenses, for a general purpose lens, the Oly 12-40 Pro is a good choice and is my all around lens along with the recently acquired 40-150 Pro. I'm also very pleased with the Oly 17 1.8, 45mm 1.8, 30mm macro and 60mm macro lenses. But there are other lenses I'm sure I would enjoy using.

Meanwhile, thanks for the reply. I am essentially looking for a lens between 40 / 60mm (in Fullframe) that has an excellent rendering of colors and details ... then, as mentioned, if it is not autofocus it is not a problem

Take a look at the Voigtländer 25mm f 0.95. It has everything you’re looking and then some.

Beautiful rendering and color signature. Very nice bokeh. It even focuses at about 6” from the subject. It has exceptional build quality and is a real pleasure to use, to boot! An excellent lens!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +33 more
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 28,285
A lot of people hated it....

A lot of people hated it and it isn't even made anymore but if you stop it down a bit, and don't care about super fast AF it delivered pretty good images:

Olympus 17mm f/2.8 lens

You can probably pick up a used one for $30-$40.00

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
Bassam Guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,421
Get a $15 adapter and use your favorite Nikkor N/T

renixx wrote:

Hi everyone,

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +5 more
scbwr
scbwr Regular Member • Posts: 133

renixx wrote:

scbwr wrote:

So we're talking 20 to 30 mm lens in micro 4/3 lenses. If a maximum f/ stop of 3.5 works for you, the Olympus 30mm macro lens can be purchased new for $224 at bhphoto.com. Or, check out either the Olympus 17mm 2.8 17mm 1.8 lenses and if purchased one used, it will be quite affordable. Being prime lenses, they're pretty sharp.

But, you could also check out one of the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R Lens.  It's a pretty good kit lens and many consider it better the the EZ lens which came out afterwards.

If you're not concerned about being limited to a prime, snagging the 30mm macro at the sale price new would be a smart move. If decide you don't  like it, you could sell it and get most of your money back.

scbwr's gear list:scbwr's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
sbszine
sbszine Contributing Member • Posts: 644
F8 - F16

Be aware that F8 - F16 is a long way to stop down on M4/3. You get two more stops of DoF with M4/3 so you should be thinking in terms of F4 - F5.6 instead. M4/3 lenses are generally sharpest in this range too.

sbszine's gear list:sbszine's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +8 more
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,204

renixx wrote:

Hi everyone,

The 25mm f/1.7 is focus by wire and has no distance scale for reference. That's what I've had problems with using AF lenses. Outdoors, I might just set infinity and hope for the best. I do better with adapted film lenses. There is either a 15mm or 17mm that has a focus clutch that might work better.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads