"One bag to rule them all....."

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
lost alaskan
lost alaskan Senior Member • Posts: 1,800
Re: "One bag to rule them all....."

I'm not going to carry around a suitcase.  If you have a ton of equipment and you make a living at this, then you have a crew to hump around the suitcases.

 lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 21,214
Bag description from Vanguard site

The Vanguard site has this description of the Divider Bag 46:

"The Divider Bag 46 is designed to keep a pro sized camera kit safe at home, in the studio or in the back of a car, ready to decant the kit you need for your shoot."

It is also designed to be used as a divider inside this Vanguard case:   https://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/products/supreme-46d

Definitely not a bag for carrying equipment around.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

 Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Jocksa
Jocksa Senior Member • Posts: 1,036
Re: "One bag to rule them all....."

KAAMBIC wrote:

Luckily they make bags for different needs. I have no use for being in "the field", im not a pro, i don't take long treks in the mountains where i need to swap lenses ever 45 seconds. When i go out shooting, i usually pick one lens and go shoot.

This is where I was struggling to understand how it was one bag to rule them all. In my mind a bag is something you carry but if I’m understanding correctly, this is a stay at home camera vault for want of a better phrase. Some people might have a shelf or a cupboard (closet) instead.

My  perfect bag is the complete opposite. I can carry my whole kit plus stuff for full days or overnights in the outdoors. From, what you’ve said I think you’d hate it.

I also have a Billingham Hadley for family events, weddings etc. People don’t tend to like a filthy rucksack at those kind of things.

-- hide signature --

“Stand in front of something more interesting.”

 Jocksa's gear list:Jocksa's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +7 more
Phil A Martin
Phil A Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,180
Re: Bag description from Vanguard site

Chris R-UK wrote:

The Vanguard site has this description of the Divider Bag 46:

"The Divider Bag 46 is designed to keep a pro sized camera kit safe at home, in the studio or in the back of a car, ready to decant the kit you need for your shoot."

It is also designed to be used as a divider inside this Vanguard case: https://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/products/supreme-46d

Definitely not a bag for carrying equipment around.

Exactly what I said above

KAAMBIC
OP KAAMBIC Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Re: "One bag to rule them all....."

Jocksa wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

Luckily they make bags for different needs. I have no use for being in "the field", im not a pro, i don't take long treks in the mountains where i need to swap lenses ever 45 seconds. When i go out shooting, i usually pick one lens and go shoot.

This is where I was struggling to understand how it was one bag to rule them all. In my mind a bag is something you carry but if I’m understanding correctly, this is a stay at home camera vault for want of a better phrase. Some people might have a shelf or a cupboard (closet) instead.

My perfect bag is the complete opposite. I can carry my whole kit plus stuff for full days or overnights in the outdoors. From, what you’ve said I think you’d hate it.

I also have a Billingham Hadley for family events, weddings etc. People don’t tend to like a filthy rucksack at those kind of things.

It is a "vault" yes, but it can also be mobile, just not in hand at every moment. There's a park near where i live that has a very nice stone bridge (photo below), im sure thousands of portraits have been shot there. Car parking is about 30' away, in full view.

If i needed to change a lens or get a flash, my vault is in my trunk, or i can just have it next to me on the grass. Basically anytime you don't HAVE to carry the bag on you, if it's safe in a car or next to you on the ground, there's no issue. The only difference is, this bag isn't suited for carrying on you while you shoot or move around.

Some will say but hey, if it's on the ground, somebody could run off with it. Yep, how did anybody ever manage to shoot in public with off-camera flash on a tripod. Heck how does anybody manage to keep hold of their bags when a thief tries to rip it from their hands...

I like this bag bc i open up one zipper and everything is right there at hand. Does anybody really shoot with a full size bag slung over their shoulder?

-- hide signature --

"You taught me hate, I'll teach you fear" -

 KAAMBIC's gear list:KAAMBIC's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-S10 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
KAAMBIC
OP KAAMBIC Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Re: Bag description from Vanguard site

Phil A Martin wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

The Vanguard site has this description of the Divider Bag 46:

"The Divider Bag 46 is designed to keep a pro sized camera kit safe at home, in the studio or in the back of a car, ready to decant the kit you need for your shoot."

It is also designed to be used as a divider inside this Vanguard case: https://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/products/supreme-46d

Definitely not a bag for carrying equipment around.

Exactly what I said above

So what constitutes a bag being good for "carrying" a kit around? What does that even mean? I have owned a Lowpro sling bag for years, why is that better than the Vanguard for carrying gear around?

-- hide signature --

"You taught me hate, I'll teach you fear" -

 KAAMBIC's gear list:KAAMBIC's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-S10 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Holger Bargen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,525
Re: "One bag to rule them all....."
1

KAAMBIC wrote:

canonaimer wrote:

Which bag is it?

THIS ONE, there are 4 sizes, it's the 46 size.

That looks like it belongs to a stable box like from Pelican. It's just a lens divider. Of course, it will also work as bag. However, I would be cautious with the grip and the zipper as they are most likely not designed to carry that burden.

Zhe case for this divider is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-SUPREME-46F-Waterproof-Professional/dp/B000IBO0ZW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Vanguard+SUPREME+46F&qid=1611243564&sr=8-1

Best regards

Holger

 Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +7 more
KAAMBIC
OP KAAMBIC Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Re: "One bag to rule them all....."

Holger Bargen wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

canonaimer wrote:

Which bag is it?

THIS ONE, there are 4 sizes, it's the 46 size.

That looks like it belongs to a stable box like from Pelican. It's just a lens divider. Of course, it will also work as bag. However, I would be cautious with the grip and the zipper as they are most likely not designed to carry that burden.

Zhe case for this divider is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-SUPREME-46F-Waterproof-Professional/dp/B000IBO0ZW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Vanguard+SUPREME+46F&qid=1611243564&sr=8-1

Best regards

Holger

My bag is not a divider, and it doesn't look to fit that case. Where would the handle for my bag go in that case? Just pressed up against the inside? That's just dumb, the Vanguard 46 i got isn't just foam, the outer shell is thicker and more rigid than any of my other 4 bags, in fact it's the most rigid case i have owned yet.

If you look at the hard case, it shows foam only inside, and you can cut your own shapes out to fit your gear. It also says nothing in the description about being a hard case for the bag i bought. Just because they are both a version 46 does not mean they go together, they simply have a 46F hard case, and a 46 soft case.

-- hide signature --

"You taught me hate, I'll teach you fear" -

 KAAMBIC's gear list:KAAMBIC's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-S10 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,214
Re: It looks VERY adaptable, but >

KAAMBIC wrote:

...

Perhaps im in the minority on that, i tend to decide which lens i want to use for this endeavor and go shoot and deal with that one lens. I could get a fanny pack to carry another but man, i think i'd rather carry a purse, there's just something about fanny packs i don't like

I try it sometimes, but I always wind up kicking myself. The only time it really works is when that lens is the 25-400 on my Lumix FZ1000.

Yesterday, I went out into the woods after a fresh snow with my 28-105 on my Nikon D610, and wished I'd brought my 24/2.8 a few times...

These days, I compromise better than I did. I bring the lens I think will do all I need, and then bring one or two that I might need as well. Yesterday, for example, I should have brought the 24/2.8 and the 75-205, just in case. Then hoods, a spare battery, lens cloth...

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
*********
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
-Eric Hoffer
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily DPR's

 Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +33 more
Holger Bargen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,525
Re: "One bag to rule them all....."

KAAMBIC wrote:

Holger Bargen wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

canonaimer wrote:

Which bag is it?

THIS ONE, there are 4 sizes, it's the 46 size.

That looks like it belongs to a stable box like from Pelican. It's just a lens divider. Of course, it will also work as bag. However, I would be cautious with the grip and the zipper as they are most likely not designed to carry that burden.

Zhe case for this divider is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-SUPREME-46F-Waterproof-Professional/dp/B000IBO0ZW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Vanguard+SUPREME+46F&qid=1611243564&sr=8-1

Best regards

Holger

My bag is not a divider, and it doesn't look to fit that case. Where would the handle for my bag go in that case? Just pressed up against the inside? That's just dumb, the Vanguard 46 i got isn't just foam, the outer shell is thicker and more rigid than any of my other 4 bags, in fact it's the most rigid case i have owned yet.

If you look at the hard case, it shows foam only inside, and you can cut your own shapes out to fit your gear. It also says nothing in the description about being a hard case for the bag i bought. Just because they are both a version 46 does not mean they go together, they simply have a 46F hard case, and a 46 soft case.

If I open your link it is called: Vanguard Divider Bag 46

I know these kind of bags to be used inside more stable units.

However, if your bag works for you the way you use it, it is fine. The only intention of my posting was to avoid that one day you have problems as the zipper gets damaged or the grip does not hold the burden anymore. Most of the time the equipment at an amount that your bag can carry costs lots of money and a loss or damage should not happen.

 Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +7 more
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 21,214
Re: Bag description from Vanguard site
1

KAAMBIC wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

The Vanguard site has this description of the Divider Bag 46:

"The Divider Bag 46 is designed to keep a pro sized camera kit safe at home, in the studio or in the back of a car, ready to decant the kit you need for your shoot."

It is also designed to be used as a divider inside this Vanguard case: https://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/products/supreme-46d

Definitely not a bag for carrying equipment around.

Exactly what I said above

So what constitutes a bag being good for "carrying" a kit around? What does that even mean? I have owned a Lowpro sling bag for years, why is that better than the Vanguard for carrying gear around?

You tell us since you have both bags.

Fill up the sling bag with your normal equipment then go out for, say, half a days shooting..  Then put the same equipment in you Vanguard bag and go out for another half days shooting.  Try it with and without a car.

I have several bags which I use for different types of days shooting or trips with different weights of equipment.  I have found out what bags work best for me over the last 20 years or so, with lots of trial and error.  Personally, I would only find the Vanguard bag useful if I was shooting out the back of a car, which I don't do very often.  It would be useless for me as a carry on on a flight.  It might be useful, though, for storing a lot of equipment at home.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

 Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 21,214
The Supreme 46D comes with the bag inside

KAAMBIC wrote:

Holger Bargen wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

canonaimer wrote:

Which bag is it?

THIS ONE, there are 4 sizes, it's the 46 size.

That looks like it belongs to a stable box like from Pelican. It's just a lens divider. Of course, it will also work as bag. However, I would be cautious with the grip and the zipper as they are most likely not designed to carry that burden.

Zhe case for this divider is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-SUPREME-46F-Waterproof-Professional/dp/B000IBO0ZW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Vanguard+SUPREME+46F&qid=1611243564&sr=8-1

Best regards

Holger

My bag is not a divider, and it doesn't look to fit that case. Where would the handle for my bag go in that case? Just pressed up against the inside? That's just dumb, the Vanguard 46 i got isn't just foam, the outer shell is thicker and more rigid than any of my other 4 bags, in fact it's the most rigid case i have owned yet.

If you look at the hard case, it shows foam only inside, and you can cut your own shapes out to fit your gear. It also says nothing in the description about being a hard case for the bag i bought. Just because they are both a version 46 does not mean they go together, they simply have a 46F hard case, and a 46 soft case.

The Supreme 46D case comes with the Divider 46 bag inside:

https://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/products/supreme-46d

-- hide signature --

Chris R

 Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
ashleymorrison
ashleymorrison Senior Member • Posts: 1,035
Re: Bag description from Vanguard site

Chris R-UK wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

The Vanguard site has this description of the Divider Bag 46:

"The Divider Bag 46 is designed to keep a pro sized camera kit safe at home, in the studio or in the back of a car, ready to decant the kit you need for your shoot."

It is also designed to be used as a divider inside this Vanguard case: https://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/products/supreme-46d

Definitely not a bag for carrying equipment around.

Exactly what I said above

So what constitutes a bag being good for "carrying" a kit around? What does that even mean? I have owned a Lowpro sling bag for years, why is that better than the Vanguard for carrying gear around?

You tell us since you have both bags.

Fill up the sling bag with your normal equipment then go out for, say, half a days shooting.. Then put the same equipment in you Vanguard bag and go out for another half days shooting. Try it with and without a car.

I have several bags which I use for different types of days shooting or trips with different weights of equipment. I have found out what bags work best for me over the last 20 years or so, with lots of trial and error. Personally, I would only find the Vanguard bag useful if I was shooting out the back of a car, which I don't do very often. It would be useless for me as a carry on on a flight. It might be useful, though, for storing a lot of equipment at home.

Horses for courses...

.. like you say 

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Ashley

Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 21,214
Re: Bag description from Vanguard site

Does the glass of Guinness fit in the case?

Or were you outside a pub? 

-- hide signature --

Chris R

 Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
ashleymorrison
ashleymorrison Senior Member • Posts: 1,035
Re: Bag description from Vanguard site
1

Chris R-UK wrote:

Does the glass of Guinness fit in the case?

Or were you outside a pub?

It was a case of starting early…

https://ashleymorrisonphotography.wordpress.com/2017/07/20/dusk-shot/

.. was how I worded it at the time

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Ashley

Bang Ding Ow New Member • Posts: 23
Re: "One bag to rule them all....."

lost alaskan wrote:

I'm not going to carry around a suitcase. If you have a ton of equipment and you make a living at this, then you have a crew to hump around the suitcases.

One benefit of suitcase is very easy to carry on head!

KAAMBIC
OP KAAMBIC Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Re: The Supreme 46D comes with the bag inside

Chris R-UK wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

My bag is not a divider, and it doesn't look to fit that case. Where would the handle for my bag go in that case? Just pressed up against the inside? That's just dumb, the Vanguard 46 i got isn't just foam, the outer shell is thicker and more rigid than any of my other 4 bags, in fact it's the most rigid case i have owned yet.

If you look at the hard case, it shows foam only inside, and you can cut your own shapes out to fit your gear. It also says nothing in the description about being a hard case for the bag i bought. Just because they are both a version 46 does not mean they go together, they simply have a 46F hard case, and a 46 soft case.

The Supreme 46D case comes with the Divider 46 bag inside:

https://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/products/supreme-46d

Luckily i don't plan on going swimming with my bag anytime soon.  Or spending $400 total on a camera bag lol.

-- hide signature --

"You taught me hate, I'll teach you fear" -

 KAAMBIC's gear list:KAAMBIC's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-S10 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
KAAMBIC
OP KAAMBIC Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Re: Bag description from Vanguard site
1

Chris R-UK wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

So what constitutes a bag being good for "carrying" a kit around? What does that even mean? I have owned a Lowpro sling bag for years, why is that better than the Vanguard for carrying gear around?

You tell us since you have both bags.

Fill up the sling bag with your normal equipment then go out for, say, half a days shooting.. Then put the same equipment in you Vanguard bag and go out for another half days shooting. Try it with and without a car.

That defeats the purpose for me. That's the point, i don't like to carry my bag while im actually taking photos. Im not a pro, i don't hike Mt Everest, and i don't shoot in the middle of a monsoon.

I have several bags which I use for different types of days shooting or trips with different weights of equipment. I have found out what bags work best for me over the last 20 years or so, with lots of trial and error. Personally, I would only find the Vanguard bag useful if I was shooting out the back of a car, which I don't do very often. It would be useless for me as a carry on on a flight. It might be useful, though, for storing a lot of equipment at home.

I may do something similar, for ease of use. I may use my hand bag from time to time, which will fit the body+lens, another lens, batteries, and a flash. For me the difference is, im ok getting by with just my Vanguard and not having my Amazon hand bag, im not ok with just the hand bag and not the big Vanguard.

-- hide signature --

"You taught me hate, I'll teach you fear" -

 KAAMBIC's gear list:KAAMBIC's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-S10 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 21,214
Re: The Supreme 46D comes with the bag inside

KAAMBIC wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

My bag is not a divider, and it doesn't look to fit that case. Where would the handle for my bag go in that case? Just pressed up against the inside? That's just dumb, the Vanguard 46 i got isn't just foam, the outer shell is thicker and more rigid than any of my other 4 bags, in fact it's the most rigid case i have owned yet.

If you look at the hard case, it shows foam only inside, and you can cut your own shapes out to fit your gear. It also says nothing in the description about being a hard case for the bag i bought. Just because they are both a version 46 does not mean they go together, they simply have a 46F hard case, and a 46 soft case.

The Supreme 46D case comes with the Divider 46 bag inside:

https://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/products/supreme-46d

Luckily i don't plan on going swimming with my bag anytime soon. Or spending $400 total on a camera bag lol.

The point that I was making is that your bag is actually a divider as the name implies.  It does fit into the Supreme 46 rigid case because that was what it was designed to do.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

 Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
KAAMBIC
OP KAAMBIC Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Re: The Supreme 46D comes with the bag inside

Chris R-UK wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

My bag is not a divider, and it doesn't look to fit that case. Where would the handle for my bag go in that case? Just pressed up against the inside? That's just dumb, the Vanguard 46 i got isn't just foam, the outer shell is thicker and more rigid than any of my other 4 bags, in fact it's the most rigid case i have owned yet.

If you look at the hard case, it shows foam only inside, and you can cut your own shapes out to fit your gear. It also says nothing in the description about being a hard case for the bag i bought. Just because they are both a version 46 does not mean they go together, they simply have a 46F hard case, and a 46 soft case.

The Supreme 46D case comes with the Divider 46 bag inside:

https://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/products/supreme-46d

Luckily i don't plan on going swimming with my bag anytime soon. Or spending $400 total on a camera bag lol.

The point that I was making is that your bag is actually a divider as the name implies. It does fit into the Supreme 46 rigid case because that was what it was designed to do.

Be that as it may, it makes no difference in use. The outer skin is quite sturdy and padded, considerably more than any of my other bags. The padding and rigidity is far greater than on my sling pack, there is no doubt my gear is better protected now.

And that seems to be the crux of why the hard case keeps getting brought up, people seem to be implying the Vanguard soft case is a bad idea because it's not a "real" bag but just a divider. Just the vibe im getting in all this.

But im happy with it, it's very solid and has the design i was after.

-- hide signature --

"You taught me hate, I'll teach you fear" -

 KAAMBIC's gear list:KAAMBIC's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-S10 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads