"One bag to rule them all....."

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
KAAMBIC
KAAMBIC Regular Member • Posts: 489

"And in the darkness, bind them".

Ever get tired of your bag not fitting your kit? Yes i know there are some of you who found one that fits, but not me. Seems like every bag was a bit too wide, or too small, or was the right size but the wrong design (i hate backpack designs). And as my kit grows, whichever kit i have, the bag becomes insufficient. Well no more...

For scale, above is the EF 85 1.8 on a Fringer adapter, on an X-S10, not the smallest lens setup. I wanted something with a simplified design, sitting flat and not having 17 different types of compartments, and then big enough to fit anything i will buy in the future. Finally...

The height is about 10" or so, plenty high enough for any lens i will buy. A longer lens can be laid on it's side. I will using the left two columns for lenses, and i will NEVER own 8 lenses + one on the body so it's more than enough. The right side for the body and accessories.

The mesh zipper slide on the hood will be for light stuff like wires, wipe cloth, ect. $75. Im finally done bag shopping, thank you Vanguard.

-- hide signature --

"You taught me hate, I'll teach you fear" -

KAAMBIC's gear list:KAAMBIC's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-S10 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 5,559
Curious...

I'm curious, how much does that weigh when you have that bag fully laden?

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +25 more
KAAMBIC
OP KAAMBIC Regular Member • Posts: 489
Re: Curious...

MediaArchivist wrote:

I'm curious, how much does that weigh when you have that bag fully laden?

Well i guess it depends on the weight of your kit, the bag itself is lighter than i would have guessed for it's size. But it doesn't have any buckles, straps, no plastic to speak of, it's mostly foam/velcro apart from the outer shell which is whatever type of fabric.

With everything i have i'd guess under 10lbs, and i have a LOT of batteries. I have an 8 slot charger and 24 rechargeable for my flash, along with a 20Ah power bank, and 5 internal batteries for the body. I will be adding another two lenses though, the EF 55-250 STM and EF 18-55 STM.

When it's all done i will have to weigh it, still don't think much over 10lbs.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-S10 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
canonaimer
canonaimer Regular Member • Posts: 349
Re: "One bag to rule them all....."

Which bag is it?

canonaimer's gear list:canonaimer's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Pentax K-3 II Canon EOS 80D +36 more
KAAMBIC

canonaimer wrote:

Which bag is it?

THIS ONE, there are 4 sizes, it's the 46 size.

-- hide signature --

Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,623

... is an illusion.

Perhaps 3 or 4. if you're lucky.

I just got rid of one bag, as smallest lens + camera has become too big... sigh.

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +1 more
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 5,026

KAAMBIC wrote:

Ever get tired of your bag not fitting your kit? Yes i know there are some of you who found one that fits, but not me. Seems like every bag was a bit too wide, or too small, or was the right size but the wrong design (i hate backpack designs). And as my kit grows, whichever kit i have, the bag becomes insufficient. Well no more...

For scale, above is the EF 85 1.8 on a Fringer adapter, on an X-S10, not the smallest lens setup. I wanted something with a simplified design, sitting flat and not having 17 different types of compartments, and then big enough to fit anything i will buy in the future. Finally...

The height is about 10" or so, plenty high enough for any lens i will buy. A longer lens can be laid on it's side. I will using the left two columns for lenses, and i will NEVER own 8 lenses + one on the body so it's more than enough. The right side for the body and accessories.

The mesh zipper slide on the hood will be for light stuff like wires, wipe cloth, ect. $75. Im finally done bag shopping, thank you Vanguard.

This is a divider bag intended to be used as an insert to a hard case. From a practicality standpoint, it's like the old suitcases with a single handle; it has no straps or wheels to help carry it.  The external dimensions are 18.9 x 13.6 x 7.6"; internal dimensions lose about an inch all ways around.  Clearly not anywhere near the 10" you think you are getting.

They come in 4 different sizes; this is the third largest.  There are a lot of different makers of this style of insert; a good use is to slip them into a roller bag.  But these are of absolutely no use if you are carrying your gear around as you shoot.

The bag I frequently use to carry my Olympus cameras and lenses is the Lowepro Omni Traveler.  Long discontinued, it was designed as an all-purpose bag; handles on two sides, robust shoulder strap, robust backpack straps, and fit in a Pelican 1450.  That bag will hold two E-M1 mark II/III, 300 f/4, Panasonic 100-400, 40-150 f/2.8, 12-100 f/4, 12-40 f/2.8, MC-14, MC-20, batteries/charger.  I put all of my miscellaneous stuff in a shoulder bag (flash, extra batteries, filters, and so on).

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
ashleymorrison
ashleymorrison Senior Member • Posts: 1,011
True

Janoch wrote:

... is an illusion.

Perhaps 3 or 4. if you're lucky.

True - because over the years it sure can mount up...

.. especially if you start carrying lights...

.. as well as everything else that may be needed...

.. to create the type of images that others would be prepared to pay a lot for the use of over the years to come.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Ashley

dmartin92
dmartin92 Senior Member • Posts: 2,272
Canon Lens, Fuji body

It looks like you have the Canon EF 85 f/1.8 on a Fuji body.

I didn’t know adapters existed to do that. Interesting.

dmartin92's gear list:dmartin92's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more
Phil A Martin
Phil A Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,877

KAAMBIC wrote:

It looks fine for storing equipment at home or in the boot of a car but looks totally impractical for use in the field. I prefer something like the Billingham bags, I have four, all different sizes depending on the type of cameras I'm carrying and/or the quantity. Top loading reporter style bags, other brands have similar.

KAAMBIC

john isaacs wrote:

This is a divider bag intended to be used as an insert to a hard case. From a practicality standpoint, it's like the old suitcases with a single handle; it has no straps or wheels to help carry it. The external dimensions are 18.9 x 13.6 x 7.6"; internal dimensions lose about an inch all ways around. Clearly not anywhere near the 10" you think you are getting.

Why would i need wheels or straps?

They come in 4 different sizes; this is the third largest.

As i clearly mentioned in another reply when somebody asked me what bag it was.

There are a lot of different makers of this style of insert; a good use is to slip them into a roller bag. But these are of absolutely no use if you are carrying your gear around as you shoot.

This bag has a harder firmer outer shell than any bag i have owned before, it absolutely IS of use carrying my gear around.

The bag I frequently use to carry my Olympus cameras and lenses is the Lowepro Omni Traveler. Long discontinued, it was designed as an all-purpose bag; handles on two sides, robust shoulder strap, robust backpack straps, and fit in a Pelican 1450. That bag will hold two E-M1 mark II/III, 300 f/4, Panasonic 100-400, 40-150 f/2.8, 12-100 f/4, 12-40 f/2.8, MC-14, MC-20, batteries/charger. I put all of my miscellaneous stuff in a shoulder bag (flash, extra batteries, filters, and so on).

As i mentioned, i can't stand backpack designs.

-- hide signature --

KAAMBIC

Phil A Martin wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

It looks fine for storing equipment at home or in the boot of a car but looks totally impractical for use in the field. I prefer something like the Billingham bags, I have four, all different sizes depending on the type of cameras I'm carrying and/or the quantity. Top loading reporter style bags, other brands have similar.

Luckily they make bags for different needs. I have no use for being in "the field", im not a pro, i don't take long treks in the mountains where i need to swap lenses ever 45 seconds. When i go out shooting, i usually pick one lens and go shoot.

-- hide signature --

Phil A Martin

KAAMBIC wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

Luckily they make bags for different needs. I have no use for being in "the field", im not a pro, i don't take long treks in the mountains where i need to swap lenses ever 45 seconds. When i go out shooting, i usually pick one lens and go shoot.

So how do you protect your one camera and one lens when you are doing that?

KAAMBIC

Phil A Martin wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

It stays in my hand. I have a wrist strap, if need be i have a sling strap. Im a hobbiest, i don't spend 10 hours in the field, my photography experience isn't like that. I realize some people shoot like that and want different bags ect, it would be nice if those people realized there those of us who don't. All it takes is a peek outside one's bubble.

-- hide signature --

Phil A Martin

KAAMBIC wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

It stays in my hand. I have a wrist strap, if need be i have a sling strap. Im a hobbiest, i don't spend 10 hours in the field, my photography experience isn't like that. I realize some people shoot like that and want different bags ect, it would be nice if those people realized there those of us who don't. All it takes is a peek outside one's bubble.

If you hadn't announced "one bag to rule them all", then perhaps there would have been a different response? Because clearly it isn't. I have several types of bags from a holster type to a large carryall, all depending on where or what I'm shooting and I don't think I've ever spent ten hours out in the field in my life. It's flexibility I require.

-- hide signature --

KAAMBIC

Phil A Martin wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

If you hadn't announced "one bag to rule them all", then perhaps there would have been a different response? Because clearly it isn't. I have several types of bags from a holster type to a large carryall, all depending on where or what I'm shooting and I don't think I've ever spent ten hours out in the field in my life. It's flexibility I require.

Well that bridge has been crossed and the announcement stands. And is valid.

-- hide signature --

The Grumpy Snapper Regular Member • Posts: 489

Totally impractical for a working photographer.

-- hide signature --

Jewelry or Jewellery? Either is correct when listing what you wear at the bottom of each post.

Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,154
It looks VERY adaptable, but >

> it doesn't look like it would be convenient to access it while over the shoulder. Seems like you'd open it and everything would fall out the side. No?

Being in search of The Perfect Bag is akin to being in search of The Perfect Camera System, so I'm happy you found something that will work for everything. Vanguard was one of the brands I was looking at when I was looking for a bag for my MFT gear.

One member said it says "steal me", but It seems like it would look like a laptop computer bag from the outside, which are not generally as valuable as digicams.

What model Vanguard is it?

For my part, I tend to end up with excess bags when I buy a used camera that includes one. I'm full-up on LowePros that'll hold a body+lens and one extra lens, for example.

One of my favorites so far is a really dorky Nikon-branded shoulder bag from about 20 years ago. It's black nylon with a metal Nikon logo riveted on the front, the strap has red stripes and is barely long enough at full extension. But it has one of those dual zipper arrangements in which the zippers are connected by a nylon strap and the whole top of the bag opens and gets out of the way, and every slot is accessible while it's over the shoulder. It's *almost* as good as a sling bag.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
-Eric Hoffer
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily DPR's

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +33 more
KAAMBIC
Re: It looks VERY adaptable, but >

Smaug01 wrote:

> it doesn't look like it would be convenient to access it while over the shoulder. Seems like you'd open it and everything would fall out the side. No?

Being in search of The Perfect Bag is akin to being in search of The Perfect Camera System, so I'm happy you found something that will work for everything. Vanguard was one of the brands I was looking at when I was looking for a bag for my MFT gear.

One member said it says "steal me", but It seems like it would look like a laptop computer bag from the outside, which are not generally as valuable as digicams.

What model Vanguard is it?

For my part, I tend to end up with excess bags when I buy a used camera that includes one. I'm full-up on LowePros that'll hold a body+lens and one extra lens, for example.

One of my favorites so far is a really dorky Nikon-branded shoulder bag from about 20 years ago. It's black nylon with a metal Nikon logo riveted on the front, the strap has red stripes and is barely long enough at full extension. But it has one of those dual zipper arrangements in which the zippers are connected by a nylon strap and the whole top of the bag opens and gets out of the way, and every slot is accessible while it's over the shoulder. It's *almost* as good as a sling bag.

This one is a #46, whatever that stands for, it's the 3rd largest out of 4. I do agree it's not for opening on the run, i just wanted a mother ship so to speak, a bag that will have a place for EVERYTHING in my kit and be a simple design.

I really like how it doesn't have any "pockets" or pouches ect, just a bunch of slots (save for the lid mesh slide).  I still have an Amazon Basics hand bag which could serve as an on-the-fly container with it's shoulder strap design, i just rarely shoot that way.

Perhaps im in the minority on that, i tend to decide which lens i want to use for this endeavor and go shoot and deal with that one lens. I could get a fanny pack to carry another but man, i think i'd rather carry a purse, there's just something about fanny packs i don't likeĀ 

-- hide signature --

Bang Ding Ow New Member • Posts: 23

Where are the straps on this bag? It will throw your spine out of alignment.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads