Trouble with exposure on the X100V when using OVF

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Morten Rasmussen Regular Member • Posts: 111
Trouble with exposure on the X100V when using OVF

Hi all

I have been trying to get into using the OVF on my X100V, but I have been thrown a little off due to a problem with exposure. Maybe you guys can help.

When looking through the OVF I see the exposure meter and adjust ISO/A/Time accordingly getting to 0.0, but then when I press the focus button the exposure jumps +/- 0.6 or more.

I have tried switching metering modes, but with no result.

Please help.

best regards

Morten

Morten Rasmussen's gear list:Morten Rasmussen's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a7R III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
yukosteel
yukosteel Regular Member • Posts: 289
Re: Trouble with exposure on the X100V when using OVF

That is interesting question. I've played with different settings but can not reproduce your issue. Could you please specify one example of such situation, and what exact value of:

• ISO, Aperture, Shutter is set
  • autofocus type (single, continuous)
  • autofocus type (single point, zone, wide, all)

Is that appears only with OVF, or also with EVF/LCD as well?

yukosteel's gear list:yukosteel's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-E2S Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Sony a7S +14 more
OP Morten Rasmussen Regular Member • Posts: 111

Hi

It only occurs when using the OVF so far.

Spotmertering. Fixed shutter at 1/30, fixed iso 640 and aperture set to 2.0. Light meter says 0.0 when looking through the OVF. I press the shutter halfway down and it jumps to +0.6! EVF is not affected by the focuslock.

Average metering, the rest of the setting the same as above it will jump to +3.3!!!! Using EVF it says +3, when focuspoint is over the exact same spot in the photo.

This could indicate that the metering when using the OVF is kicking in only after half pressing the shutter button. And it seems that spotmetering is more accurate but not quite there anyway.

What do you gather from this?

Fujifilm X100V Sony a7R III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +6 more
Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 13,730

Make sure you don't have DR set to AUTO - should be set to 100 - page 113 of the manual.

If AUTO is selected, the camera will automatically choose either 100% or 200% according to the subject and shooting conditions. Shutter speed and aperture will ONLY be displayed when the shutter button is pressed halfway.

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GFX 50R +44 more

Chris Dodkin wrote:

Make sure you don't have DR set to AUTO - should be set to 100 - page 113 of the manual.

If AUTO is selected, the camera will automatically choose either 100% or 200% according to the subject and shooting conditions. Shutter speed and aperture will ONLY be displayed when the shutter button is pressed halfway.

Actually DR is set to 100!

yukosteel
yukosteel Regular Member • Posts: 289

Morten Rasmussen wrote:

Hi

It only occurs when using the OVF so far.

Spotmertering. Fixed shutter at 1/30, fixed iso 640 and aperture set to 2.0. Light meter says 0.0 when looking through the OVF. I press the shutter halfway down and it jumps to +0.6! EVF is not affected by the focuslock.

Average metering, the rest of the setting the same as above it will jump to +3.3!!!! Using EVF it says +3, when focuspoint is over the exact same spot in the photo.

This could indicate that the metering when using the OVF is kicking in only after half pressing the shutter button. And it seems that spotmetering is more accurate but not quite there anyway.

What do you gather from this?

I'm very curious about this behavior and trying modify different X100V settings, but so far EVF and OVF showing exactly same exposure, except for the cases when I slightly moving camera when rotating dials or pressing buttons. I'm wondering if it remains the same when you put camera on a tripod to make sure it does not move.

Another possibility is the difference between EVF and OVF focus point size, and also parallax correction in the OVF - it may be not exactly same AF area precisely evaluated for exposure. But I can't confirm that yet, since camera behaves consistent.

I'm thinking there should be the answer to your question in specific settings combination, but I'd also eliminate the camera movement influence first by putting it on a tripod and trying EVF/OVF behavior there.

yukosteel's gear list:yukosteel's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-E2S Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Sony a7S +14 more

On a tripod it is exactly the same! The metering jumps between 0.6 and 1.6 in well lit situations.

I have been experimenting with tripod shots, and it seems that it measures light when the focus button is pressed. The histogram is all over the place, when shooting with the OVF. I think I’ll just stick with the EVF, but some of the fun is lost that way.  And using the OVF is actually a question of guessing the exposure, which is a pain.

larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 17,214

Morten Rasmussen wrote:

Hi all

I have been trying to get into using the OVF on my X100V, but I have been thrown a little off due to a problem with exposure. Maybe you guys can help.

When looking through the OVF I see the exposure meter and adjust ISO/A/Time accordingly getting to 0.0, but then when I press the focus button the exposure jumps +/- 0.6 or more.

Please help.

best regards

Morten

Does it do the same thing when you're focused on something that's, say, 10m away? If not, then I would guess it's an issue with parallax error.

FX Robot
FX Robot New Member • Posts: 21

I tried your settings but couldn't replicate your experience, will give it another go later but so far not seeing the behaviour you mentioned.

-- hide signature --

Rgds
John

FX Robot's gear list:FX Robot's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +6 more

larsbc wrote:

Morten Rasmussen wrote:

Hi all

Please help.

best regards

Morten

Does it do the same thing when you're focused on something that's, say, 10m away? If not, then I would guess it's an issue with parallax error.

Yep, it does

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads