A6600 / A6400 / XT3 ... Other?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Renv3r New Member • Posts: 5
A6600 / A6400 / XT3 ... Other?

Good morning / good evening (depending from where you are)

For weeks I have been asking myself to which camera I would like to upgrade. I currently own an Fuji xt-10. Bought in 2016 as a replacement for my Olympus e520.

After owning the camera for 5 years I was a bit disappointed with the build quality. After almost 2 years the front rubbers came loose (luckily it was still in warranty). In the third year the thumb rest fell off. Despite the build quality I was happy with this camera (love the colors from the jpeg’s). I didn’t invest in lenses since I bought the zoom kit with the xc 15-45 and the xc 55-230. I did a lot of reading here and watched a lot of YouTube videos so I wa able to narrow the choice down a bit.

I consider myself as an amateur. I love taking pictures (no videos) while I’m traveling, taking pictures of land- and cityscapes. Another hobby is motorsport, which I like to attend and take pictures of the cars (that’s the main reason for the zoomlens).

So now I’m looking for a decent APSC replacement (Not interested in full frame due to the cost of long reach lenses and the weight). Mainly for 2 reasons:

• AF on the xt10 isn’t the fastest. So sometimes I miss some action shots.
  • I want a little bit more reach. I owned the 70-300 Zuiko from Olympus and with the 230 I sometimes wish I had a bit more reach.

So I came across this combinations:

A Sony A6600 with the 70-350

+ Battery

+ Native Sony lenses

- price

• Less user friendly interface

A Sony A6400 with the 70-350

+ Cheaper

+ Almost the same as the 6600

+ Native Sony lenses

- No IBIS but since my xt10 doesn’t have it I don’t think I will miss it

- Less user friendly interface

- Battery

I still own the small kit lens from an Nex 3 (long story short: discounted impuls buy), and would probably buy the 18-135mm from Sony too with both combos. This one would be used for general photography.

And, I know a contradiction to what I said (the longer zoom)

The Fuji XT3 (with my current lenses)

+ Upgrade from my xt10 but ‘same’ system

+ Improved AF

+ Jpeg colors

- Expensive 100-400 mm lens (i could afford the lens but the mind is saying no: I used to attend a lot of motorsport events until 2013 but now it’s only a few times a year. So a lot of money for those ‘few’ times. The focus shifted in favor of traveling. And there I don’t need that kind of zoom certainly not at the price point of the 100-400mm.

- Would love to add the 16-80 as a general lens then but this one seems to be ‘a mixed bag’ like some would say.

At first the Canon m6 mk2 was on the list as well but not really a fan of the add-on EVF and the native zoomlens has even less reach than the Fuji one. I know you can use an adapter and use other canon lenses but I’m not familiar with the canon lenses.

I’m not into “prime” lenses. Love the versatility of zooms and don’t mind the loss of a bit IQ since the pictures are only sitting on a social media channel or printed to be hanging on the wall at home.

I know you can use other manufacturers lenses on any camera but I prefer to stay with the manufacturer lenses. Don’t ask me why.

So like to know your thoughts.

Budget is approximately 2400 USD. Can be stretched a bit since I won’t be buying everything at once. Due to covid: motorsport events are cancelled or driven behind closed doors.

Ps: My apologies if my English isn’t ‘spot on’ but I’m not a native English speaker.

Canon EOS M6 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T3 Olympus E-520 (EVOLT E-520)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,294
Re: A6600 / A6400 / XT3 ... Other?

I love the zoom choices I get with M4/3.  But if I were sticking with APS-C I would not rule out the Nikon Z50 (assuming you are Ok with adapting DSLR lenses).

Kelly

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
paltu1970 New Member • Posts: 15

I would suggest you to go for Sony instead of Fujifilm if you are nature photographer. The foliage is more distinct and pictures are more natural in Sony. I use both xt30 and Sony a6600 , I am more comfortable with Sony. Though many people dislike Sony menu systems but after one year of usage I found that is more appealing to me than Fujifilm. May be I am a mathematician so like the complex but sophisticated problem 😜.

if you are lover of colourful images and portraits then Fujifilm may be better for some people. But for me Sony is more appealing for portrait and crispyness of nature photography.

I can even take macro with Sony kit lens as it is so crispy and able to focus from close distance. 
I like more better grip of Sony in my hands, unmistakable autofocus which is very important for family and travel photography and excellent battery life especially while traveling.

paltu1970's gear list:paltu1970's gear list
Nikon Z5
Flying Fijian Contributing Member • Posts: 769

I would stick with Fuji...XT3 especially if you're loving the Fuji colors.

There's a fujifilm xf 70-300mm coming out soon FYI...also I have the 16-80, it's a great lens! That would make an excellent combo.

Flying Fijian's gear list:Flying Fijian's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
OP Renv3r New Member • Posts: 5

KCook wrote:

I love the zoom choices I get with M4/3. But if I were sticking with APS-C I would not rule out the Nikon Z50 (assuming you are Ok with adapting DSLR lenses).

Kelly

Had a look at the Nikon Z50. Seems an interesting system but the 20mp sensor is a bit of a drawback comparing to the A6400. The 24 mp gives me a bit more room to crop if necessary.

Have had a look at the DSLR lenses available and it's a bit a maze for me. I found they have an affordable 70 - 300mm. The longer reaches seems in line with the price of the Fuji XF 100-400.

Thanks for your reply.

paltu1970 wrote:

I would suggest you to go for Sony instead of Fujifilm if you are nature photographer. The foliage is more distinct and pictures are more natural in Sony. I use both xt30 and Sony a6600 , I am more comfortable with Sony. Though many people dislike Sony menu systems but after one year of usage I found that is more appealing to me than Fujifilm. May be I am a mathematician so like the complex but sophisticated problem 😜.

if you are lover of colourful images and portraits then Fujifilm may be better for some people. But for me Sony is more appealing for portrait and crispyness of nature photography.

I can even take macro with Sony kit lens as it is so crispy and able to focus from close distance.
I like more better grip of Sony in my hands, unmistakable autofocus which is very important for family and travel photography and excellent battery life especially while traveling.

At this moment i'm leaning more to the Sony A6400. Should almost be the same like the A6600. I still have some Sony battery's laying around. The Sony menu is indeed a bit fiddly but didn't mind it using my Sony Nex 3 back in the day. Was very happy with the pictures from the Nex3. Will do a 'pixel peep' test to compare the Fuji and the Nex 3. Think it was a bit sharper with the kitlens.

Thanks for the input.

Ad12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,020

Keep in mind with the XT3 if you shoot raw and any landscapes, if you use Lightroom, you either need to switch to other software, use enhance details, or buy XTransformer, the latter two options meaning duplication of every raw file to a huge DNG.

Ad12's gear list:Ad12's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
kunu New Member • Posts: 1

Renv3r wrote:

KCook wrote:

I love the zoom choices I get with M4/3. But if I were sticking with APS-C I would not rule out the Nikon Z50 (assuming you are Ok with adapting DSLR lenses).

Kelly

Had a look at the Nikon Z50. Seems an interesting system but the 20mp sensor is a bit of a drawback comparing to the A6400. The 24 mp gives me a bit more room to crop if necessary.

Have had a look at the DSLR lenses available and it's a bit a maze for me. I found they have an affordable 70 - 300mm. The longer reaches seems in line with the price of the Fuji XF 100-400.

Thanks for your reply.

The resolution difference might not be as significant as you'd expect. It's worth an experiment. You can download a full res image from the a6400 sample gallery and scale it to 5568 x 3712 (I believe that's the resolution of the Z50). Compare and see if it's significant.

That said, although the Z50 looks nice to me also, I'm put off by Nikon's lack of enthusiasm for Z-mount apsc. The Z50 released in November 2019 and in January 2021 it remains the only apsc Z release. And there are only, what, 2 native apsc lenses, and they're both slow kit zooms.

kunu wrote:

Renv3r wrote:

KCook wrote:

Kelly

Thanks for your reply.

The resolution difference might not be as significant as you'd expect. It's worth an experiment. You can download a full res image from the a6400 sample gallery and scale it to 5568 x 3712 (I believe that's the resolution of the Z50). Compare and see if it's significant.

That said, although the Z50 looks nice to me also, I'm put off by Nikon's lack of enthusiasm for Z-mount apsc. The Z50 released in November 2019 and in January 2021 it remains the only apsc Z release. And there are only, what, 2 native apsc lenses, and they're both slow kit zooms.

Thanks for the tip. Will be testing this out.

Have to say the Z50 really looks tempting. I prefer the looks of the Nikon and the central EVF..

Anyone knows if the autofocus would keep up with the a6400 for motorsport?

KCook

To be certain about the Z50 AF performance I would try to rent one before buying.

Kelly

Lumpysaurus Regular Member • Posts: 116

Renv3r wrote:

kunu wrote:

Renv3r wrote:

KCook wrote:

Kelly

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for the tip. Will be testing this out.

Have to say the Z50 really looks tempting. I prefer the looks of the Nikon and the central EVF..

Anyone knows if the autofocus would keep up with the a6400 for motorsport?

Nikon make lovely bodies but unfortunately it is widely acknowledged that atm Nikon has the worst AF and Sony the best. So I wouldn’t look beyond the a6400. Ibis is no use when your subject is moving fast as you have to use a high shutter speed and I don’t think battery life will be a huge issue so don’t see why you’d spend the extra for the a6600

Lumpysaurus's gear list:Lumpysaurus's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Sony a5100 Sony a7 II Fujifilm X-T20 +12 more

Had a look but seems like in my region they don’t offer the Z50 for rent. Only the ‘better z series are. Maybe I will take the leap of faith and go fo the z50. AF will probably be worse then the a6400 but i know myself and the z50 will suit me better. Will bring me more joy. Especially since motorsport was pushed to the background and for the moment races are run behind closed doors and without any public.

will keep my options open but at this moment it’s 70 % in favor of the z50.

Thanks again for bringing this camera to my attention.

KCook

I haven't shot any motorsports since my 35mm film SLR days.  That was done with preset manual focus (and rather slow lenses).  I didn't have many shots out of focus.

Kelly

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads