Photo Panorama Apps

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
KiwiTux
KiwiTux Regular Member • Posts: 165
Photo Panorama Apps

I’ve been wanting to try taking more photo panoramas manually with my iPhone, and then stitch them together in Lightroom or Photoshop. I was thinking about doing larger ones (like 6x6 tiles or maybe 6x4), but composing them efficiently so there’s the right amount of overlap is tricky and guesswork. Are there any iOS apps that assist with this?

I know there’s a few apps that do the stitching part, but I’ve found none that can assist with lining up the component shots. (I can do this with my dSLR but only a single row, and only in jpeg, for example).

Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

-Sean

KiwiTux's gear list:KiwiTux's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Hesman New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Photo Panorama Apps

Just wondering if I was reading your question right: are you looking for an iOS based app that helps you take the guess work matching up the photos in a multi row pano or an app that does pano stitching?

FWIW, I have yet to see a good pano stitching app for iOS, except for Affinity Photo. There are others that use the camera in your mobile device and then creates a pano. Most of the really good pano software is still desktop based since the software needs the processing power that desktops have. There have been a few times that Affinity Photo has crashed on my iPad Pro when creating a pano, but was able to do it on the desktop version of Affinity Photo.

Hesman's gear list:Hesman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Nikon D5100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +5 more
KiwiTux
OP KiwiTux Regular Member • Posts: 165

Hesman wrote:

Just wondering if I was reading your question right: are you looking for an iOS based app that helps you take the guess work matching up the photos in a multi row pano or an app that does pano stitching?

FWIW, I have yet to see a good pano stitching app for iOS, except for Affinity Photo. There are others that use the camera in your mobile device and then creates a pano. Most of the really good pano software is still desktop based since the software needs the processing power that desktops have. There have been a few times that Affinity Photo has crashed on my iPad Pro when creating a pano, but was able to do it on the desktop version of Affinity Photo.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm happy to do the actual stitching back on desktop apps, but I just thought it would be really helpful to have a visual guide when taking photos that perhaps saved preview thumbnails in a grid so you can get a rough idea of composition when taking the shots. Also, maybe add some metadata or something to the set so you can identify later on the desktop/laptop.

Does Affinity Photo actually have a camera function, or does it stitch photos taken elsewhere?

-- hide signature --

-Sean

KiwiTux's gear list:KiwiTux's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Hesman New Member • Posts: 12

Affinity Photo does not have a camera function.

There are a number of basic panorama apps for iPhones in the Apple App Store that might do what you want. The ones that I saw never really made me want to try them out since I have always used a DSLR or mirrorless camera and a program like Affinity or Lightroom to create pianos, instead of my smartphone. Some that seemed better cost money and I wasn’t interested in spending money on something that I might not end up using. I have not messed around with any of them, free or not, since I am not accustomed to doing pianos on my smartphone.

Hesman's gear list:Hesman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Nikon D5100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +5 more
BAHdog Regular Member • Posts: 163

I’ve stitched a series of raw images taken with my iPhone with a 30% overlap in Affinity Photo. It works superbly but you have to remember to restart the iPad before using Affinity so the RAM is flushed out and reset. Then the crashes are almost nonexistent on my 6th generation iPad. It is an amazing app.

BAHdog's gear list:BAHdog's gear list
Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads