Z50 + Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 pictures

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Mark Regular Member • Posts: 318
Z50 + Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 pictures

Sharing a few example pictures taken with the Z50 +16-50mm kit lens. Bought it as a Christmas present for my teenage son. He’s not using it much, so I thought I might instead and I've used it quite a bit over the past few weeks.

What I like a lot:

-Size & weight of the camera body + lens

-Kit lens is sharp with great color over the entire zoom range

-Lens stabilization (honestly don’t worry about shutter speed with this camera except for moving subjects)

-The grip!!!

-Really nice color presets in camera (in particular standard and landscape) and good color straight away (WB auto1 and natural light WB seems to work best for me)

-Capture NX-D is really a very complete set of RAW conversion tools (albeit a bit sluggish despite 32 GB of RAM

…the list could go on and on...

What I rather not like(d):

-EVF color – needed huge adjustment, way too much red/magenta tint (QA issue or normal?)

-Fn buttons are a bit too recessed between the grip and the lens mount even for my smallish hands

-i-menu “ok” confirmation – I can’t believe it that I must confirm every setting change with an additional press of “ok”

-Animal eye focus- I just can’t make it work (not so useful anyway with the 16-50 lens... )

-no overexposure warning (but a good histogram)

All pictures are either camera jpegs or NEF converted with very minor modifications in Capture-NX (exposure, changes and color preset, mainly SD and LS) + the white frame of course in PS…

Mark's gear list:Mark's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z50 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
awy Forum Member • Posts: 86
Re: Z50 + Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 pictures

Mark wrote:

Sharing a few example pictures taken with the Z50 +16-50mm kit lens. Bought it as a Christmas present for my teenage son. He’s not using it much, so I thought I might instead and I've used it quite a bit over the past few weeks.

What I like a lot:

-Size & weight of the camera body + lens

-Kit lens is sharp with great color over the entire zoom range

-Lens stabilization (honestly don’t worry about shutter speed with this camera except for moving subjects)

-The grip!!!

-Really nice color presets in camera (in particular standard and landscape) and good color straight away (WB auto1 and natural light WB seems to work best for me)

-Capture NX-D is really a very complete set of RAW conversion tools (albeit a bit sluggish despite 32 GB of RAM

…the list could go on and on...

What I rather not like(d):

-EVF color – needed huge adjustment, way too much red/magenta tint (QA issue or normal?)

-Fn buttons are a bit too recessed between the grip and the lens mount even for my smallish hands

-i-menu “ok” confirmation – I can’t believe it that I must confirm every setting change with an additional press of “ok”

-Animal eye focus- I just can’t make it work (not so useful anyway with the 16-50 lens... )

-no overexposure warning (but a good histogram)

All pictures are either camera jpegs or NEF converted with very minor modifications in Capture-NX (exposure, changes and color preset, mainly SD and LS) + the white frame of course in PS…

Beautiful photos...

Evf and live view exposures will be different.. you can adjust it from the menu's.

Yes Autofocus is pain even on my z6 as well when compared with competition.

Love Nikon colours and handling

I have love and hate experience in capture nxd.. some times I wish capture nxd has layers or masks

awy's gear list:awy's gear list
Nikon Z 50mm F1.8
JohnNewman
JohnNewman Contributing Member • Posts: 876

awy wrote:

Beautiful photos...

Evf and live view exposures will be different.. you can adjust it from the menu's.

I have love and hate experience in capture nxd.. some times I wish capture nxd has layers or masks

In what way is the autofocus a pain? Just asking as I'm about to buy the Z50.

To the OP, really nice results. I did use Nikon's own software years ago but couldn't get on with it compared to Lightroom for example. But good results from what you've posted. Nicely done.

John

JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony RX100 VII Apple iPhone 6s
OP Mark Regular Member • Posts: 318

JohnNewman wrote:

awy wrote:

Beautiful photos...

To the OP, really nice results. I did use Nikon's own software years ago but couldn't get on with it compared to Lightroom for example. But good results from what you've posted. Nicely done.

John

Hi John, thanks for your kind words. The camera does a great job!

Myself, I don't have issues with the AF - I find AF fast, silent and very accurate, in  particular in combination with the stabilized lens.

Face & eye detection for humans works as advertised, you've probably seen a lot of videos on youtube, too - can't make work eye focus with the dog, but I suspect it's a combination of focal length, subject distance and maybe aperture.

Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z50 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
JohnNewman
JohnNewman Contributing Member • Posts: 876

Mark wrote:

JohnNewman wrote:

John

Hi John, thanks for your kind words. The camera does a great job!

Myself, I don't have issues with the AF - I find AF fast, silent and very accurate, in particular in combination with the stabilized lens.

Face & eye detection for humans works as advertised, you've probably seen a lot of videos on youtube, too - can't make work eye focus with the dog, but I suspect it's a combination of focal length, subject distance and maybe aperture.

As I don't have a dog, cat or any other furred or feathered friend, that's fine with me 

Cheers,

John

JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony RX100 VII Apple iPhone 6s
skyrunr
skyrunr Senior Member • Posts: 1,176

Thank you for sharing your experience and photos.  The Z50 might not get enough credit here.  It should probably even have it's own forum given the difference in Z7II users and Z50 users!    It kept up with my D500 IQ wise and is even slightly better in some conditions.

EVF - I turn brightness way down and have d7 apply to liver view and did not need any adjustments.

The Fn buttons are very cramped if you have large hands, but I got used to it.  Although I had to switch my Fn1 with Fn2 because I couldn't adjust the front dial and hold Fn1 easily.

"i" menu OK confirmation "feature" is a safety.  I would like to have the option to disable it.  I can't tell you how many times I've adjusted settings and have to go back to them to re-apply them, even on DSLR's.  On top of that, sometimes you have to hit the + and sometimes the OK button!  Still better menu system than ANY other make I've tried.  It is probably meant more for touchscreens use which I DISABLED anyway because I kept hitting it.  I'd disable the zoom and display buttons as well, not a fan of soft buttons.  Although maybe I would be if they were Fn's.

p61 of the reference manual explains why/when animal AF will not engage.  I think Nikon is leaving out quite a bit of detail in the manuals regarding these features.  "subject's face occupies a very large or very small portion of the frame" could be more detailed, and they've gotten away from visual examples.  Which SHOULD at least be included in online content.  There are also 26 items that don't have "?" help in the menus.  (minor)

I'd really like zebras in the EVF as well, especially since the technology is available in video.  However, metering is so good (especially side-by-side with my D500 which was no slouch,) and even with my EVF dimmed,  I've yet to have a problem with over-exposing.

Glad you picked it up and got out there.  Time to order your own copy and maybe the 14-30Z.  You live in a beautiful area.  Enjoy!

-- hide signature --

SkyRunR
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
'Out of the darkness there must come out the light.' Bob Marley

skyrunr's gear list:skyrunr's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony a7R III Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Sony FE 70-200 F4 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +8 more
MrClam Forum Member • Posts: 99

Yeah the i-menu ok thing...I hate that. I’m always like “didn’t I change that!” Errrr

msu79gt82 Senior Member • Posts: 1,359
Re: Z50 + Z DX 16-50mm AF

JohnNewman wrote:

I do not find the Z50 AF to be a pain in anyway at all.  Both the Z50 and the Z6 focus as well or better than any DSLR I’ve owned (D300, D600, D500), although admittedly I don’t really track fast moving objects.

msu79gt82's gear list:msu79gt82's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
Holmes375
Holmes375 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,502

A very nice set! You show off that little kit zoom and its excellent versatility. Kit lenses have certainly come a long way over the years.

-- hide signature --

Pleasant trails to ya.
~Holmes
WSSA member #103

Holmes375's gear list:Holmes375's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic ZS200 Nikon Coolpix P950

skyrunr wrote:

Thank you for sharing your experience and photos. The Z50 might not get enough credit here. It should probably even have it's own forum given the difference in Z7II users and Z50 users! It kept up with my D500 IQ wise and is even slightly better in some conditions.

EVF - I turn brightness way down and have d7 apply to liver view and did not need any adjustments.

Indeed, I have D7 turned on, too.

The Fn buttons are very cramped if you have large hands, but I got used to it. Although I had to switch my Fn1 with Fn2 because I couldn't adjust the front dial and hold Fn1 easily.

"i" menu OK confirmation "feature" is a safety. I would like to have the option to disable it. I can't tell you how many times I've adjusted settings and have to go back to them to re-apply them, even on DSLR's. On top of that, sometimes you have to hit the + and sometimes the OK button! Still better menu system than ANY other make I've tried. It is probably meant more for touchscreens use which I DISABLED anyway because I kept hitting it. I'd disable the zoom and display buttons as well, not a fan of soft buttons. Although maybe I would be if they were Fn's.

p61 of the reference manual explains why/when animal AF will not engage. I think Nikon is leaving out quite a bit of detail in the manuals regarding these features. "subject's face occupies a very large or very small portion of the frame" could be more detailed, and they've gotten away from visual examples. Which SHOULD at least be included in online content. There are also 26 items that don't have "?" help in the menus. (minor)

That's right. I think this feature is much more interesting with a longer lens and wider aperture.

I'd really like zebras in the EVF as well, especially since the technology is available in video. However, metering is so good (especially side-by-side with my D500 which was no slouch,) and even with my EVF dimmed, I've yet to have a problem with over-exposing.

Glad you picked it up and got out there. Time to order your own copy and maybe the 14-30Z. You live in a beautiful area. Enjoy!

Not wrong at all :-); I almost bought a Z5 3 weeks ago and then decided against it because although I like the 16-50 on the Z50, I come to the conclusion that the 24-50 kit lens on the Z5 lacks some ambition and would be my pretext to get a 24-70 F4.... (also, I really can't justify buying another camera)

NCB Senior Member • Posts: 1,694

Very nice. A compact portable camera great at landscapes. That's what I bought mine for.

If you don't mind me asking, where is it?

By the way, I find the Z50 EVF not up to the stellar quality of the Z6 EVF. But it's still very usable, much better than EVFs of old.

NCB's gear list:NCB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D3100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
lightandaprayer Senior Member • Posts: 4,113

skyrunr wrote:

p61 of the reference manual explains why/when animal AF will not engage. I think Nikon is leaving out quite a bit of detail in the manuals regarding these features. "subject's face occupies a very large or very small portion of the frame" could be more detailed, and they've gotten away from visual examples. Which SHOULD at least be included in online content. There are also 26 items that don't have "?" help in the menus. (minor)

Based on my experience with several of his books, I would expect Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon Z50 to be a must-have for Z50 owners.

The ebook has 969 pages because Thom's guides are always extremely detailed when it comes to camera features. Such as arcane variations in how Matrix Metering works depending on the camera model. It's the little things that can drive one crazy when learning a new Nikon camera's idiosyncrasies.  

skyrunr
skyrunr Senior Member • Posts: 1,176

I'm basing my observation purely on past Nikon manuals and explanations of features.  When I was done reading the manual to my D70, D200, D300S I felt much more confidant in my understanding of the features and settings.  As I mentioned they used to have many more visual examples which were still helpful in black and white.

The book and guides are great.  I'm personally not having enough trouble to warrant diving that deeply into the features, and since I'm not under any pressure/rush I can take the time to learn through trial and error.  I like the Youtube video approach where I can pause the video and play with the settings as I watch.

As another example.  I tried to find out the thresholds for EFCS to enable/disable in the auto setting.  Nikon would not provide me with this information even after escalating a ticket with them.  Which just makes me question if they're trying to help us or not.  Is this sensitive/secret proprietary information that would give the competition an advantage?  Are they hiding a glitch?  Or do they simply not even know themselves?

-- hide signature --

SkyRunR
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
'Out of the darkness there must come out the light.' Bob Marley

skyrunr's gear list:skyrunr's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony a7R III Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Sony FE 70-200 F4 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +8 more
jthomas39 Regular Member • Posts: 482

MrClam wrote:

Yeah the i-menu ok thing...I hate that. I’m always like “didn’t I change that!” Errrr

(I posted this in a recent Z6 thread.)

I have a Z6.

The i-menu is quick and efficient if you are changing the same menu item again. No need to press OK.

It remembers the current menu item when I press the i-menu button. I can use either of the two command dials to cycle through the choices for that item. Now, half pressing the shutter or the AF-On will set that choice (and close the i-menu too). So changing a setting, shooting, then changing it back is fast.

For example: Press the i-menu button (I had Metering as the current item), two dial clicks to go from Matrix to Spot meter, then half press the shutter. Now the i-menu is closed, and I'm ready to shoot. I can switch it back to Matrix just as easily.

This method also works when using the 4-way multi-selector to move to another i-menu item.

However, if I'm using the touch screen to switch menu items, then the dials will change the currently displayed choice, but the half press won't set it. It needs either the OK touch screen box, or the OK button to set it. A bit annoying.

EDIT-- using the touch screen with the i-menu does work differently.  I suppose this makes sense, leaving the menu on screen and requiring OK.  This way, multiple menu items can all be inspected or changed without having to re-press the i-menu button.  It still took me a while to always remember that I have to OK here.

jthomas39 wrote:

MrClam wrote:

I have a Z6.

The i-menu is quick and efficient if you are changing the same menu item again. No need to press OK

I confirm, I was wrong in my initial post! Awesome increase in usability! Thank you.

It remembers the current menu item when I press the i-menu button. I can use either of the two command dials to cycle through the choices for that item. Now, half pressing the shutter or the AF-On will set that choice (and close the i-menu too). So changing a setting, shooting, then changing it back is fast.

For example: Press the i-menu button (I had Metering as the current item), two dial clicks to go from Matrix to Spot meter, then half press the shutter. Now the i-menu is closed, and I'm ready to shoot. I can switch it back to Matrix just as easily.

That is right - thank you so much!! What a great tip. I didn't realize this.

This method also works when using the 4-way multi-selector to move to another i-menu item.

However, if I'm using the touch screen to switch menu items, then the dials will change the currently displayed choice, but the half press won't set it. It needs either the OK touch screen box, or the OK button to set it. A bit annoying.

Yes, that is right, too.

EDIT-- using the touch screen with the i-menu does work differently. I suppose this makes sense, leaving the menu on screen and requiring OK. This way, multiple menu items can all be inspected or changed without having to re-press the i-menu button. It still took me a while to always remember that I have to OK here.

NCB wrote:

Very nice. A compact portable camera great at landscapes. That's what I bought mine for.

Not at all. It's southwestern France - quite rural but not far from the city of Toulouse.

By the way, I find the Z50 EVF not up to the stellar quality of the Z6 EVF. But it's still very usable, much better than EVFs of old.

strawbale Senior Member • Posts: 1,613

Mark wrote:

NCB wrote:

Not at all. It's southwestern France - quite rural but not far from the city of Toulouse.

In the Haute Garonne or further South in the Ariège (where I live)?

How do you find the IQ compares to your X-T2 for landscapes?

strawbale's gear list:strawbale's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800
jthomas39 Regular Member • Posts: 482

Mark wrote:

jthomas39 wrote:

MrClam wrote:

I have a Z6.

The i-menu is quick and efficient if you are changing the same menu item again. No need to press OK

I confirm, I was wrong in my initial post! Awesome increase in usability! Thank you.

That is right - thank you so much!! What a great tip. I didn't realize this.

Yes, that is right, too.

EDIT-- using the touch screen with the i-menu does work differently. I suppose this makes sense, leaving the menu on screen and requiring OK. This way, multiple menu items can all be inspected or changed without having to re-press the i-menu button. It still took me a while to always remember that I have to OK here.

This efficient i-menu method isn't obvious at all.  I read it in a DPR post!

strawbale wrote:

Mark wrote:

NCB wrote:

In the Haute Garonne or further South in the Ariège (where I live)?

How do you find the IQ compares to your X-T2 for landscapes?

Good question. I definitely like the colours and the NIkon WB balance seems to do a better job than the Fuji in the pictures below.

The light was changing very quickly in the narrow valley where I took the pictures, so the foreground is a bit darker in the Fuji picture

1. Nikon Z50

2. Fuji

Qbalion
Qbalion Contributing Member • Posts: 571

Come-on! No Fuji is able to beat our Z50

We just need 2-3 more Z DX lenses.

Qbalion's gear list:Qbalion's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads