Picture Processing

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Starscream67 Regular Member • Posts: 126
Picture Processing

When converting your Raw Files what do you convert them to?  Jpeg, Tiff, etc??  What hold the detail better?  I have been using JPG just wondering if thats the best choice?

SafariBob
SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 2,120
Re: Picture Processing

Starscream67 wrote:

When converting your Raw Files what do you convert them to? Jpeg, Tiff, etc?? What hold the detail better? I have been using JPG just wondering if thats the best choice?

Retain the raw files. Only export for specific uses such as prints, mobile, or sharing online.

SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +1 more
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 10,378

I always keep the raw files. I use TIFF for interaction between Lightroom and some other editing tools.

If you want something smaller than a raw that doesn't lose much from the original, DNG is a decent compromise.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Nikon D200 NEX-5T Sony a7R II +24 more
nkistrup
nkistrup Senior Member • Posts: 2,566

Starscream67 wrote:

When converting your Raw Files what do you convert them to? Jpeg, Tiff, etc?? What hold the detail better? I have been using JPG just wondering if thats the best choice?

Depends.  If I'm posting to the Internet, .JPG.  Much smaller file size, and as standard as you can get.

But if I have additional processing in mind (e.g. HDR, panorama, focus stacking), it will be 16-bit .TIFF files.  Uncompressed, and therefore HUGE file size.

Holding on to your raw files is a good idea, as has been suggested, for if no other reason that you will have better PP'ing software in the future.  At the least your PP'ing skills will have improved.

-- hide signature --

“Photography is inspired by beauty, captured with passion.”
? Destin Sparks

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Sony a6400 Sony a7 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +10 more
Gloomy1 Regular Member • Posts: 487

Hi I don't understand the question. Why do you want to convert your Raw files? If you are referring to processing them and saving the resultant processef image then I use 16 bit TIFF but also keep the original Raw file. Ken

Gloomy1's gear list:Gloomy1's gear list
Sony a7R IV +1 more
OP Starscream67 Regular Member • Posts: 126

No I keep my RAW files just wondering what people use for posting

mcslsk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,281

Starscream67 wrote:

Convert to JPEG - unless you plan on further editing outside the intial raw converter, in which case you may want to convert to Tiff. There is no difference in perceivable detail between JPEG and Tiff. The only reason to use Tiff for further edit is that it is uncompressed and so there will be no JPEG artefacts that increase the more often a JPEG file is edited and saved.

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +54 more
Scott Alan Contributing Member • Posts: 530

Starscream67 wrote:

No I keep my RAW files just wondering what people use for posting

For posting use JPG with sRGB color, 8 bit, maybe 70% quality, and 1920 pixels on the long edge.  This works for me.  Be sure to use 8 bit sRGB as this is a common standard for internet use.

Scott Alan's gear list:Scott Alan's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +2 more
AlephNull Senior Member • Posts: 2,457

Starscream67 wrote:

I load RAW files, processing them into 16 bit. I save them as PSD files because i'm using Photoshop.

I produce JPG files only as output. It's a lossy format, and not suitable as a format to be loaded, re-edited, and re-saved.

For final output, though, 8 bit JPEG is convenient and effective. I set the colour space for my JPEGs to sRGB, with quality set to purpose.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +4 more
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,367

Starscream67 wrote:

For further working on files (maybe in a different program), and for printing:

Tiff

For anything else:

Jpeg

Always keep the Raw files.

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads