If you shoot both FF and APS-C, how do you mentally adjust to the change in depth of field?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
zurubi Contributing Member • Posts: 541
If you shoot both FF and APS-C, how do you mentally adjust to the change in depth of field?

I am posting this here because I am a Fuji shooter and recently added a full frame system. Since I've been shooting with Fuji gear/APSC for years, the depth of field for different apertures and lenses is kind of natural and somehow burned into my brain. I find that when I grab my FF camera I am not mentally adjusting to the reduced DOF for the same aperture and FL and I often miss the correct DOF for landscapes where I want a big part of the frame in focus.

Just curious what other folks are doing; please don't answer that I can look at tables or zoom into parts of the frame. Many shots require muscle memory and I clearly don't have this for the FF system.

zurubi's gear list:zurubi's gear list
Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +6 more
Schleiermacher Senior Member • Posts: 2,363
Re: If you shoot both FF and APS-C, how do you mentally adjust to the change in depth of field?

My rule of thumb is that there’s one stop of difference to achieve similar depth of field with the two sensor sizes. As a general practice, that seems to woek for me.

matt

-- hide signature --

Schleiermacher
www.mmathews.zenfolio.com
----------------------------------------------
'At our best and most fortunate we make pictures because of what stands in front of the camera, to honor what is greater and more interesting than we are. We never accomplish this perfectly, though in return we are given something perfect -- a sense of inclusion. Our subject thus redefines us, and is part of the biography by which we want to be known.' --Robert Adams, Why People Photograph

Schleiermacher's gear list:Schleiermacher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-1 Fujifilm X-T20 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +11 more
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 11,812
Re: If you shoot both FF and APS-C, how do you mentally adjust to the change in depth of field?

For the same FOV there is approximately one stop difference, that is the 35 f1.4 on APS-C is approximately equivalent to a 50 f2 on a FF although they give the same FOV on their respective sensors.

so a rule of thumb, one stop.

You can start there as you develop muscle memory.
--
"The winds of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears," Arabic Proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R XF 90mm +12 more
OP zurubi Contributing Member • Posts: 541

Truman Prevatt wrote:

For the same FOV there is approximately one stop difference, that is the 35 f1.4 on APS-C is approximately equivalent to a 50 f2 on a FF although they give the same FOV on their respective sensors.

--
"The winds of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears," Arabic Proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

I was looking at some hyperfocal charts and for close focusing distance there seems to be more than 1 stop..... almost 2. I guess I can start with 1.

Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +6 more
Buttons252
Buttons252 Senior Member • Posts: 1,500

I almost always shoot aps-c wide open (F2) so i can create some separation between my subject and the background.   With my Canon 5Ds instead of shooting at F1.4, i stop down to F2.8 so the entire face is in focus.   F2.8 on aps-c is probably F4 on Full frame.  I know 56mm F1.2 is equal to 85mm F1.8

If i am shooting landscapes and light allows i usually go for F5.6-F11 depending on light.  Most lenses have peak sharpness at F8.  Depth of field is rarely something I am considering though, my first priority is lowest ISO followed by a minimum shutter speed.

Buttons252's gear list:Buttons252's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EOS 5DS XF 90mm Tamron SP 35mm F1.4 Di USD Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
GossCTP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,505

zurubi wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

--
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

I was looking at some hyperfocal charts and for close focusing distance there seems to be more than 1 stop..... almost 2. I guess I can start with 1.

It's more like a stop and a third, through its kind of splitting hairs for DOF. F/4 x 1.5 (crop factor) = f/6

-- hide signature --

"Law and order" is anathema to liberty and justice.

GossCTP's gear list:GossCTP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K20D Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 WR +8 more
maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 2,053

Dont try to match them and do all this equivalence crap. Just use what you need.

I remember when I first used m43 people used to tell me to use f8 for landscapes etc, what a load of crap.

Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,029

My brain goes back to film days with F8 and be there and the sunny 16 (f16) .

For me it was harder to get used to apsc .
 Now using bridge cameras more I just shoot wide open , review and retake if possible if I needed more dof.

-- hide signature --

Back to bridge cameras......

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Fujifilm X-T200 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 +6 more
Valdai21 Regular Member • Posts: 321
One stop difference but beware about focal lenght

I use micro 4/3, Fuji X and full frame.

It's true there is one stop difference between APS-C and full frame. Shooting f/2 on APS-C looks the same as f/2,8 on full frame assuming you are using the same lens, which is rarely the case.

I mean, 35mm f/2 on APS-C has the same depth of field as 35mm f/2,8 on full frame but if you want to shoot 50mm equivalent on both systems, you will use a 35mm lens on APS-C and a 50mm lens on full frame.
If you stop down your 50mm lens to f/2,8 on your full frame setup, you will still have less depth of field than with your 35mm f/2 lens on APS-C because of the focal lenght difference.

That's why you can have quite a lot of background blur with wide angle lenses on full frame even at moderate aperture. That's also why you can get depth of field problems with a 24mm lens if you are not careful.

For everything in focus if you have enough light, sweet spot is between f/5,6 and f/8 on APS-C and f/8 to f/11 on full frame. You can stop down more if you need but you usually loose some sharpness.

OP zurubi Contributing Member • Posts: 541
Re: One stop difference but beware about focal lenght

Valdai21 wrote:

I use micro 4/3, Fuji X and full frame.

It's true there is one stop difference between APS-C and full frame. Shooting f/2 on APS-C looks the same as f/2,8 on full frame assuming you are using the same lens, which is rarely the case.

I mean, 35mm f/2 on APS-C has the same depth of field as 35mm f/2,8 on full frame but if you want to shoot 50mm equivalent on both systems, you will use a 35mm lens on APS-C and a 50mm lens on full frame.
If you stop down your 50mm lens to f/2,8 on your full frame setup, you will still have less depth of field than with your 35mm f/2 lens on APS-C because of the focal lenght difference.

That's why you can have quite a lot of background blur with wide angle lenses on full frame even at moderate aperture. That's also why you can get depth of field problems with a 24mm lens if you are not careful.

For everything in focus if you have enough light, sweet spot is between f/5,6 and f/8 on APS-C and f/8 to f/11 on full frame. You can stop down more if you need but you usually loose some sharpness.

Thanks. This is exactly the conundrum I am facing because as you correctly said, I have to change the FL of the lens to obtain equivalence. 35mm/50mm in your example.

If you use all 3 systems, your situation is even worst than mine. So have you developed some rules of thumb for this DOF conversion among the different systems?

redisred Forum Member • Posts: 77
Re: One stop difference but beware about focal lenght

Helpful tool in this regard:

https://mmcalc.com/

These numbers line up with my own experience. 1 stop is a good rule of thumb, but the truth is more like 1 & 1/3. But, it’s very hard to pick out that difference in a real image, so the rule of thumb is useful enough.

redisred's gear list:redisred's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads