RAW+JPEG in C1?- better to separate or not?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
OP viper699 Contributing Member • Posts: 781
Re: RAW+JPEG in C1?- better to separate or not?

David1961 wrote:

Can you post a link to what you read?

I am not convinced there should be a large difference between the raw preview and sooc jpeg.

What I read was not specific for C1, just an article explaining the difference between the 2 formats.

let me wait and see what the makers of c1 have to say.

 viper699's gear list:viper699's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +1 more
OP viper699 Contributing Member • Posts: 781
Re: RAW+JPEG in C1?- better to separate or not?

Dave_J_E wrote:

viper699 wrote:

Dave_J_E wrote:

My advice differs from that of the other posters. In my experience with Capture One 20 (for Sony), jpeg files embedded in the raw file are not used for preview purposes. Instead, when a raw file is imported into a Session, a so called Preview File is generated which is seen in the Viewer and a thumbnail version of this is generated and appears in the Browser. The size of the preview file can be set in the Preferences/Image section and one recommendation is to set this to your screen width. It is a reasonably large file but considerably smaller than the raw. It is sort of the working file if you like (except for 100% view) and the raw file is not called on until you export a jpeg or tiff etc.

The preview file (and the thumbnail) display the editing changes as you make them.

Interestingly I've found that my Sony raw preview files are reasonably close to a jpeg shot under raw+jpeg (with a Creative Style of Standard for the jpeg). I certainly don't need to use a jpeg for culling purposes.

I'd urge you to persevere with just importing the raws into the Capture folder. You should get to judge the image potential from the raw preview file alone fairly well after a while.

Dave

I have C1 Pro v20. I’ll ask them if the camera brand C1 versions render images like Pro, esp because your RAW look similar to your JPEGs.

Mine are all more faint, it’s weird to me, but I’m a film person, new to digital.

My understanding is that the (paid) camera brand specfic versions are basically the same as the full PRO version. With the brand specific versions, they simply restrict the types of raw file you can access. The quality of the camera profiles for the different brands may vary though.

If it's color you are mainly concerned with you can make a custom camera profile quite easily by going into the color editor and making changes on a sample image such as increasing the saturation. Then click on the three dots in a row and select "Save as ICC Profile". You can then use this camera profile for future edits to achieve similar color enhancements. These will show up in the preview and thumbnail files.

Dave

Thanks—Next time I’m in front of C1 tomorrow I’ll see what’s going on. Perhaps I don’t have a camera profile selected. But I thought I did...

 viper699's gear list:viper699's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +1 more
OP viper699 Contributing Member • Posts: 781
ICC Profile files for RAW vs JPEG- checked.

Dave_J_E wrote:

My advice differs from that of the other posters. In my experience with Capture One 20 (for Sony), jpeg files embedded in the raw file are not used for preview purposes. Instead, when a raw file is imported into a Session, a so called Preview File is generated which is seen in the Viewer and a thumbnail version of this is generated and appears in the Browser. The size of the preview file can be set in the Preferences/Image section and one recommendation is to set this to your screen width. It is a reasonably large file but considerably smaller than the raw. It is sort of the working file if you like (except for 100% view) and the raw file is not called on until you export a jpeg or tiff etc.

The preview file (and the thumbnail) display the editing changes as you make them.

Interestingly I've found that my Sony raw preview files are reasonably close to a jpeg shot under raw+jpeg (with a Creative Style of Standard for the jpeg). I certainly don't need to use a jpeg for culling purposes.

I'd urge you to persevere with just importing the raws into the Capture folder. You should get to judge the image potential from the raw preview file alone fairly well after a while.

Dave

I took a quick look at my laptop. The first computer I imported the images into C1. I checked on the color icon (3 circles), the one after the camera icon.

The .NEF files have a ICC file of "Nikon D5500 generic". There's a drop down box for D5500-Landscape and other shooting modes. I shot using the Landscape mode.

The curve is set for Auto. and White Balance Mode is "shot"

Again these are the settings upon import. I haven't done a thing.

I checked the JPEGS that were imported as well.

Their ICC Profile is listed as 'From File (sRGB IEC61966-2.1)

Curve is "Auto"

WB Mode is "Shot"

I spoke to someone who owns the same version of C1 as I do. They use a Fuji camera, maybe XT-3. He said the same, the RAW files look not as good. We didn't have time to get into specifics.

I find it interesting your Sony branded C1 looks good. Perhaps this has something to do with your settings? And/or that C1 is made for Sony RAW files too.

Haven't heard from C1 TS yet.

When I flip back and forth between the 2 image types of the same shot, I can see the histogram changing a bit, the Kelvin value for the JPEGs I'm looking at (sunsets) at 5000, and tint is zero. But for their NEF counterparts, Tint is 1.1-1.4, and Kelvin is 5300-5400

Let me know what you think.

All new to me.

 viper699's gear list:viper699's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +1 more
donaldsc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,769
WHY ARE YOU BUMPING 10 HOURS AFTER YPOU POSTED??

viper699 wrote:

Bump- thanks

We don't spend all of our time watching for posts from you.

-- hide signature --

Don

BrownieVet Senior Member • Posts: 3,614
My Practice / Workflow
1

Re: RAW+JPEG in C1?- better to separate or not?

When shooting NEF+JPEG (large-fine),  I upload to two external drives.  One drive dedicated to ORIGINAL files and another for WORK files.  Both drives are dedicated to Photo files.
I use Apple computer.  Both external drives have sub-folder for NEF and sub-folder for JPEG.
I create sub-folders,  YYYY-MM-DD - Event (Short Description of the files to be uploaded)
.

My preference is to work on the JPEG files.
While I have four post processing /editing software,  I use either NIkon Capture or Nikon View to view, rate and classify each file. This initial ratings helps in culling for whatever purpose I have. Sometimes,  I also use the Apple tagging system to expedite cross-editor processing. Unrated file means it is not reviewed yet.
.
I'll not discuss other steps / procedure I do to create / save/ and distribute final product.

Dave_J_E Regular Member • Posts: 122
Re: ICC Profile files for RAW vs JPEG- checked.

viper699 wrote:

Dave_J_E wrote:

My advice differs from that of the other posters. In my experience with Capture One 20 (for Sony), jpeg files embedded in the raw file are not used for preview purposes. Instead, when a raw file is imported into a Session, a so called Preview File is generated which is seen in the Viewer and a thumbnail version of this is generated and appears in the Browser. The size of the preview file can be set in the Preferences/Image section and one recommendation is to set this to your screen width. It is a reasonably large file but considerably smaller than the raw. It is sort of the working file if you like (except for 100% view) and the raw file is not called on until you export a jpeg or tiff etc.

The preview file (and the thumbnail) display the editing changes as you make them.

Interestingly I've found that my Sony raw preview files are reasonably close to a jpeg shot under raw+jpeg (with a Creative Style of Standard for the jpeg). I certainly don't need to use a jpeg for culling purposes.

I'd urge you to persevere with just importing the raws into the Capture folder. You should get to judge the image potential from the raw preview file alone fairly well after a while.

Dave

I took a quick look at my laptop. The first computer I imported the images into C1. I checked on the color icon (3 circles), the one after the camera icon.

The .NEF files have a ICC file of "Nikon D5500 generic". There's a drop down box for D5500-Landscape and other shooting modes. I shot using the Landscape mode.

The curve is set for Auto. and White Balance Mode is "shot"

Again these are the settings upon import. I haven't done a thing.

I checked the JPEGS that were imported as well.

Their ICC Profile is listed as 'From File (sRGB IEC61966-2.1)

Curve is "Auto"

WB Mode is "Shot"

I spoke to someone who owns the same version of C1 as I do. They use a Fuji camera, maybe XT-3. He said the same, the RAW files look not as good. We didn't have time to get into specifics.

I find it interesting your Sony branded C1 looks good. Perhaps this has something to do with your settings? And/or that C1 is made for Sony RAW files too.

Haven't heard from C1 TS yet.

When I flip back and forth between the 2 image types of the same shot, I can see the histogram changing a bit, the Kelvin value for the JPEGs I'm looking at (sunsets) at 5000, and tint is zero. But for their NEF counterparts, Tint is 1.1-1.4, and Kelvin is 5300-5400

Let me know what you think.

All new to me.

The settings you describe should be fine. I usually use the generic profile for my Sony A7. I'm not sure why your raws are not looking as good as the jpegs initially. Could you perhaps post an example, ie a camera jpeg and an exported jpeg from the raw file (without any adjustments)?

You mention a drop down box for different versions of the profile such as Landscape etc. This is something I don't seem to have for my Sony profiles. Have you tried a few different options there?

Don't worry abut the Kelvin and Tint values being different for the raw and jpeg. The settings of 5000 and zero don't mean anything. With a jpeg, you've lost all reference to the original As Shot white Balance data.

Dave

OP viper699 Contributing Member • Posts: 781
Re: WHY ARE YOU BUMPING 10 HOURS AFTER YPOU POSTED??

donaldsc wrote:

viper699 wrote:

Bump- thanks

We don't spend all of our time watching for posts from you.

Hence the bump.

 viper699's gear list:viper699's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +1 more
OP viper699 Contributing Member • Posts: 781
Re: ICC Profile files for RAW vs JPEG- checked.

Dave_J_E wrote:

viper699 wrote:

Dave_J_E wrote:

My advice differs from that of the other posters. In my experience with Capture One 20 (for Sony), jpeg files embedded in the raw file are not used for preview purposes. Instead, when a raw file is imported into a Session, a so called Preview File is generated which is seen in the Viewer and a thumbnail version of this is generated and appears in the Browser. The size of the preview file can be set in the Preferences/Image section and one recommendation is to set this to your screen width. It is a reasonably large file but considerably smaller than the raw. It is sort of the working file if you like (except for 100% view) and the raw file is not called on until you export a jpeg or tiff etc.

The preview file (and the thumbnail) display the editing changes as you make them.

Interestingly I've found that my Sony raw preview files are reasonably close to a jpeg shot under raw+jpeg (with a Creative Style of Standard for the jpeg). I certainly don't need to use a jpeg for culling purposes.

I'd urge you to persevere with just importing the raws into the Capture folder. You should get to judge the image potential from the raw preview file alone fairly well after a while.

Dave

I took a quick look at my laptop. The first computer I imported the images into C1. I checked on the color icon (3 circles), the one after the camera icon.

The .NEF files have a ICC file of "Nikon D5500 generic". There's a drop down box for D5500-Landscape and other shooting modes. I shot using the Landscape mode.

The curve is set for Auto. and White Balance Mode is "shot"

Again these are the settings upon import. I haven't done a thing.

I checked the JPEGS that were imported as well.

Their ICC Profile is listed as 'From File (sRGB IEC61966-2.1)

Curve is "Auto"

WB Mode is "Shot"

I spoke to someone who owns the same version of C1 as I do. They use a Fuji camera, maybe XT-3. He said the same, the RAW files look not as good. We didn't have time to get into specifics.

I find it interesting your Sony branded C1 looks good. Perhaps this has something to do with your settings? And/or that C1 is made for Sony RAW files too.

Haven't heard from C1 TS yet.

When I flip back and forth between the 2 image types of the same shot, I can see the histogram changing a bit, the Kelvin value for the JPEGs I'm looking at (sunsets) at 5000, and tint is zero. But for their NEF counterparts, Tint is 1.1-1.4, and Kelvin is 5300-5400

Let me know what you think.

All new to me.

The settings you describe should be fine. I usually use the generic profile for my Sony A7. I'm not sure why your raws are not looking as good as the jpegs initially. Could you perhaps post an example, ie a camera jpeg and an exported jpeg from the raw file (without any adjustments)?

You mention a drop down box for different versions of the profile such as Landscape etc. This is something I don't seem to have for my Sony profiles. Have you tried a few different options there?

Don't worry abut the Kelvin and Tint values being different for the raw and jpeg. The settings of 5000 and zero don't mean anything. With a jpeg, you've lost all reference to the original As Shot white Balance data.

Dave

Hi Dave

Appreciate your time and responses. I have not had a chance to examine the different Nikon settings in C1.

Clearly there is something I don’t know about C1, that’s fine. I’ll figure it out

Ill look into posting an example. With my luck they will look the same as JPEGS hahah

 viper699's gear list:viper699's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +1 more
David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 4,544
Re: WHY ARE YOU BUMPING 10 HOURS AFTER YPOU POSTED??

viper699 wrote:

donaldsc wrote:

viper699 wrote:

Bump- thanks

We don't spend all of our time watching for posts from you.

Hence the bump.

Maybe you should get your facts straight before posting.

Posting is frowned upon by the moderators especially when members bump threads before 24 hrs as you did according to the timestamps.

Rule 17:

"Bumping and cross-posting is not explicitly disallowed but is frowned upon and if abused will result in the removal of posts. As a guide, one bump after 24 hours is perfectly acceptable, as is cross-posting in two different forums where there is an obvious relevance."

 David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
OP viper699 Contributing Member • Posts: 781
Re: My Practice / Workflow

BrownieVet wrote:

Re: RAW+JPEG in C1?- better to separate or not?

When shooting NEF+JPEG (large-fine), I upload to two external drives. One drive dedicated to ORIGINAL files and another for WORK files. Both drives are dedicated to Photo files.
I use Apple computer. Both external drives have sub-folder for NEF and sub-folder for JPEG.
I create sub-folders, YYYY-MM-DD - Event (Short Description of the files to be uploaded)
.

My preference is to work on the JPEG files.
While I have four post processing /editing software, I use either NIkon Capture or Nikon View to view, rate and classify each file. This initial ratings helps in culling for whatever purpose I have. Sometimes, I also use the Apple tagging system to expedite cross-editor processing. Unrated file means it is not reviewed yet.
.
I'll not discuss other steps / procedure I do to create / save/ and distribute final product.

Thanks a lot!

i do have the Nikon Capture and View SW. Not installed yet, but will do so.

 viper699's gear list:viper699's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +1 more
OP viper699 Contributing Member • Posts: 781
Re: WHY ARE YOU BUMPING 10 HOURS AFTER YPOU POSTED??

David1961 wrote:

viper699 wrote:

donaldsc wrote:

viper699 wrote:

Bump- thanks

We don't spend all of our time watching for posts from you.

Hence the bump.

Maybe you should get your facts straight before posting.

Posting is frowned upon by the moderators especially when members bump threads before 24 hrs as you did according to the timestamps.

Rule 17:

"Bumping and cross-posting is not explicitly disallowed but is frowned upon and if abused will result in the removal of posts. As a guide, one bump after 24 hours is perfectly acceptable, as is cross-posting in two different forums where there is an obvious relevance."

Appreciate the knowledge! Very helpful- the last person was a jerk, there’s no need to act that way. I don’t use the site for posting nearly as much as others- so the rules are not well remembered by me.

However now that you pointed this out- I will wait 24 hr as indicated by Rule 17

Appreciate the constructive criticism from you, instead of the “stupidity” I read earlier that provided absolutely no help, unlike you. Have a great day!

 viper699's gear list:viper699's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +1 more
David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 4,544
Re: WHY ARE YOU BUMPING 10 HOURS AFTER YPOU POSTED??

Unfortunately ignorance of the rules is no excuse and neither should it be because there is no way of knowing if a member actually knew the rules or not before breaking one.

 David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
OP viper699 Contributing Member • Posts: 781
Re: WHY ARE YOU BUMPING 10 HOURS AFTER YPOU POSTED??

David1961 wrote:

Unfortunately ignorance of the rules is no excuse and neither should it be because there is no way of knowing if a member actually knew the rules or not before breaking one.

True! I don’t knowingly break forum rules.

 viper699's gear list:viper699's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +1 more
Quarkcharmed
Quarkcharmed Senior Member • Posts: 1,057
Re: RAW+JPEG in C1?- better to separate or not?
2

David1961 wrote:

Earlier you posted -

"I know I can import both files into the same folder, and only view either the JPEG or the RAWs in the preview pane by selecting a feature to hide one of the file types."

When viewing the raw's you are viewing the jpeg embedded into the raw.

When viewing raw files you are viewing whatever is rendered by photo editor or viewer. The embedded jpegs may and will be ignored in many cases. Lightroom, for example, may show the embedded jpeg for a second before finishing its own rendered preview. Lightroom generates its own previews.

The same, I believe, stands for C1. It will show the rendered preview based on whatever settings/sliders the image currently has.

Why would a raw editor show the embedded jpeg when it must show the image that corresponds to the current editing settings?

The embedded raw should be a thumbnail size version of the sooc jpeg you view.

 Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
BrownieVet Senior Member • Posts: 3,614
Tips for Nikon View, Nikon Capture and Nikon Transfer
1

viper699 wrote:

Thanks a lot!

i do have the Nikon Capture and View SW. Not installed yet, but will do so.

I suggest you READ the instructions on how to use both to effectively and efficiently use both software. Google will point you to the appropriate document, including video tutorials.
.
Nikon Transfer 2 will be downloaded also with either program, depending on the site you use.
Nikon Transfer allow filtering files to be transferred, selecting primary and back-up destinations among other options. Google will help you find Tutorials on how to use Nikon Transfers.
.
NOTE:  Nikon View is ideal for JPEG.  Capture is ideal for NEF.   Both can be use for JPEG & NEF
Affinity Photo or PIcktorial or  Luminar 2018 are my choice for advance / extensive editing.

Brian Kimball
Brian Kimball Contributing Member • Posts: 577
C1 does not use embedded JPGs when previewing raws
3

David1961 wrote:

Earlier you posted -

"I know I can import both files into the same folder, and only view either the JPEG or the RAWs in the preview pane by selecting a feature to hide one of the file types."

When viewing the raw's you are viewing the jpeg embedded into the raw.

True in image browsers like Photo Mechanic, Windows Explorer, macOS Finder, etc.

However, not true in raw processors like C1 and LR (unless embedded+sidecar is explicitly set). In C1 all image previews will be generated from the raw data.

If OP doesn't like how their raws look, they can consider adjusting their default tool settings:

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002490977-Changing-default-settings-in-tools

The embedded raw should be a thumbnail size version of the sooc jpeg you view.

Most cameras embed rather large JPGs, up to full resolution, so they can still offer a zoom functionality in playback mode in the camera for raw files.

Cheers!

OP viper699 Contributing Member • Posts: 781
Re: Tips for Nikon View, Nikon Capture and Nikon Transfer

BrownieVet wrote:

viper699 wrote:

Thanks a lot!

i do have the Nikon Capture and View SW. Not installed yet, but will do so.

I suggest you READ the instructions on how to use both to effectively and efficiently use both software. Google will point you to the appropriate document, including video tutorials.
.
Nikon Transfer 2 will be downloaded also with either program, depending on the site you use.
Nikon Transfer allow filtering files to be transferred, selecting primary and back-up destinations among other options. Google will help you find Tutorials on how to use Nikon Transfers.

Will do- I don’t recall seeing Nikon Transfer 2, I’ll check. The software links were provided to me by Nikon TS as the version I needed wasn’t listed.

Im pretty certain I installed Affinity. Also have a PSP 2020 version of some type. They were all on sale during COVID, so picked up a couple SW.

 viper699's gear list:viper699's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +1 more
OP viper699 Contributing Member • Posts: 781
Re: C1 does not use embedded JPGs when previewing raws

Brian Kimball wrote:

David1961 wrote:

Earlier you posted -

"I know I can import both files into the same folder, and only view either the JPEG or the RAWs in the preview pane by selecting a feature to hide one of the file types."

When viewing the raw's you are viewing the jpeg embedded into the raw.

True in image browsers like Photo Mechanic, Windows Explorer, macOS Finder, etc.

However, not true in raw processors like C1 and LR (unless embedded+sidecar is explicitly set). In C1 all image previews will be generated from the raw data.

If OP doesn't like how their raws look, they can consider adjusting their default tool settings:

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002490977-Changing-default-settings-in-tools

The embedded raw should be a thumbnail size version of the sooc jpeg you view.

Most cameras embed rather large JPGs, up to full resolution, so they can still offer a zoom functionality in playback mode in the camera for raw files.

Cheers!

Thanks!

 viper699's gear list:viper699's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +1 more
BrownieVet Senior Member • Posts: 3,614
Transfer, Affinity Photo, Picktorial and Luminar
1

viper699 wrote:

Will do- I don’t recall seeing Nikon Transfer 2, I’ll check. The software links were provided to me by Nikon TS as the version I needed wasn’t listed.

Nikon Transfer is NOT an EDITING software.  It is only for copying/transferring file from your camera (if you use cable) or from Memory card to your computer.

I'm pretty certain I installed Affinity. Also have a PSP 2020 version of some type. They were all on sale during COVID, so picked up a couple SW.

Affinity Photo (AP) is ROBUST but very complicated.  There are hundreds of FREE Video Tutorials on-line.  AP has been my go-to editor since September 2018.  Picktorial is much easier to learn and has many very useful features, moreover, has excellent file handling / management.  Luminar (all versions I own) are VERY SLOW.  Has difficulty working with more than 2 files.

OP viper699 Contributing Member • Posts: 781
Re: Transfer, Affinity Photo, Picktorial and Luminar

BrownieVet wrote:

viper699 wrote:

Will do- I don’t recall seeing Nikon Transfer 2, I’ll check. The software links were provided to me by Nikon TS as the version I needed wasn’t listed.

Nikon Transfer is NOT an EDITING software. It is only for copying/transferring file from your camera (if you use cable) or from Memory card to your computer.

I'm pretty certain I installed Affinity. Also have a PSP 2020 version of some type. They were all on sale during COVID, so picked up a couple SW.

Affinity Photo (AP) is ROBUST but very complicated. There are hundreds of FREE Video Tutorials on-line. AP has been my go-to editor since September 2018. Picktorial is much easier to learn and has many very useful features, moreover, has excellent file handling / management. Luminar (all versions I own) are VERY SLOW. Has difficulty working with more than 2 files.

I checked my computer. For Nikon I have ViewNX-i v1.4, and Capture NX-D v1.6 for my Win7 Pro computer. I don't have Nikon Transfer 2. Will look into this.

For Affinity I have v1.8.3. It was 50$ I was looking for a less expensive Photoshop. Some people recommended it here. The only thing I don't like is that it's LIGHT on providing a manual. Their manual it seems you have to buy for 50$, not cool. I've tried GIMP years ago, and didn't like the GUI. I know it's better now, but haven't tried it since as I didn't own a digi cam.

I own an older version of PS, PS CS3 Extended. I may see if I can install that on my computer. I used it for minor graphics works, never for digital photography- no need back then.

Now there are many pieces of SW out there. Seems all of them do something the other one doesn't have, OR some aspect is makes it excellent for those few tasks. OR the reverse, good software but maybe has some things against it etc, ie nothing is perfect.

I also have LR v6.x the last standalone version before Adobe went to rent-rare. I HATE rentware.

I bought LR as I knew at some point I'd get into digital and by then Adobe would be exclusively rentware.

Thanks for the Affinity tip on videos. I will look into this.

 viper699's gear list:viper699's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads