Konica hexanon 40mmf1.8?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Sufstreet
Sufstreet Regular Member • Posts: 284
Konica hexanon 40mmf1.8?

Anyone tried it?

Just got a used one and waiting for my K&F adapter. I never used a 40mm on my Fujifilm system but love my 35mm and 50mm. Plan to use it on my XE1 instead of XT2 since I like the feel of the camera more and the colours feels more analogue.

I like the K&F adapters. Cheap and does the job. Here's a pic from my Leitz Elmarit R 35mm 2.8. Swirly bokeh and old school vibes

@sufstreet

-- hide signature --

Everywhere is home

Sufstreet's gear list:Sufstreet's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Craig268
Craig268 Senior Member • Posts: 1,519
Re: Konica hexanon 40mmf1.8?

Sufstreet wrote:

Anyone tried it?

Just got a used one and waiting for my K&F adapter. I never used a 40mm on my Fujifilm system but love my 35mm and 50mm. Plan to use it on my XE1 instead of XT2 since I like the feel of the camera more and the colours feels more analogue.

I like the K&F adapters. Cheap and does the job. Here's a pic from my Leitz Elmarit R 35mm 2.8. Swirly bokeh and old school vibes

@sufstreet

Great shot - going manual w/vintage glass can't be beat.

Craig268's gear list:Craig268's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +7 more
McWoodley
McWoodley Regular Member • Posts: 378

I haven’t but it was on the shortlist for adapted lenses to try. Just never picked one up. I have read it’s a great lens.   Hoping the TTartisian 50 1.4 produces similar results to some of the adapted lenses of that ilk.  Now you have me wanting to it.

McWoodley's gear list:McWoodley's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +7 more
David E P Junior Member • Posts: 32

I have a hexanon 40 on an xe3. Since it is a pancake goes really well. My copy is a bit soft wide open but it is sharp at f2.8.

Here is a quick snapshot with that lens

Peter J Davies
Peter J Davies Contributing Member • Posts: 783

David E P wrote:

I have a hexanon 40 on an xe3. Since it is a pancake goes really well. My copy is a bit soft wide open but it is sharp at f2.8.

David:

It's not just your copy of the 40/1.8 that is "soft" at f1.8.  I have been shooting with this lens since it came with a Konica TC camera that I purchased when I was still shooting film.  I have since been using it on a Sony a3000 camera that I bought (body only) just to resurrect my old MF lenses and now I have an adapter to use my Konica lenses on my new X-T20 camera.

Yes, performance of this lens is not great when fully open at f1.8.  However, as you say, just taking it down to f2.8 makes a huge difference and then it is great at f5.6 and f8.  In fact, if I am shooting with low light, I often set it between the f1.8 and f2.8 indents (approx f2.0) and even that is a big improvement over f1.8.

Konica Hexanon AR lenses are my favorite MF lenses.  The 40/1.8 lens falls between my 35/2.0 and my 50/1.7.  It may not be quite as sharp as they are (especially wide open) but it is my favorite walk-around lens because it is so compact and light weight compared to them.

-- hide signature --
 Peter J Davies's gear list:Peter J Davies's gear list
A3000 Fujifilm X-T20 Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Fujifilm FinePix S100fs +21 more
Sufstreet
OP Sufstreet Regular Member • Posts: 284

Peter Daves wrote:

David E P wrote:

David:

It's not just your copy of the 40/1.8 that is "soft" at f1.8. I have been shooting with this lens since it came with a Konica TC camera that I purchased when I was still shooting film. I have since been using it on a Sony a3000 camera that I bought (body only) just to resurrect my old MF lenses and now I have an adapter to use my Konica lenses on my new X-T20 camera.

Yes, performance of this lens is not great when fully open at f1.8. However, as you say, just taking it down to f2.8 makes a huge difference and then it is great at f5.6 and f8. In fact, if I am shooting with low light, I often set it between the f1.8 and f2.8 indents (approx f2.0) and even that is a big improvement over f1.8.

Konica Hexanon AR lenses are my favorite MF lenses. The 40/1.8 lens falls between my 35/2.0 and my 50/1.7. It may not be quite as sharp as they are (especially wide open) but it is my favorite walk-around lens because it is so compact and light weight compared to them.

Great to hear. I like soft images and the way certain photos looks better soft. Many modern hipster photographers buy soft lens filters for their highend lenses to get that look.

Those filters cost 4 times more than what I paid for this lens😁

-- hide signature --

Everywhere is home

Sufstreet's gear list:Sufstreet's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads