Camera/Camcorder with no recording limit under 1000€?

Started 9 months ago | Questions
Svetoslav Popov Forum Member • Posts: 87
Camera/Camcorder with no recording limit under 1000€?

My friend needs advice about a cam for video recording of live-concerts and for YouTube content creation.

Unfortunately i'm a photographer and not that familiar with the video tech.

She has some high requirements that i'm having difficulties with. The budget is 1000€, if possible less.

And these are the requirements, from most to least important:

1. No 30min recording limit (maybe with external recorder? but it has to record the audio too)

2. Mic input

3. Possibility for external power

4. Flippy screen

5. Usable as a webcam (for streaming etc)

Do you guys have some ideas off the top of the head? Is this even possible in this price range?

Every constructive comment is highly appreciated!

ANSWER:
Rag and Bone Regular Member • Posts: 159
Re: Camera/Camcorder with no recording limit under 1000€?

I am happy with my Sony Z-V1. You would want a hdmi-usb stick to use it as a webcam, even though there is a software option for this.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 2,793

How are you going to record the audio?  Will you plug into the sound board or will you have your own mics? Does the budget include mics?

Either way you'll want XLR inputs. An external recorder with XLR inputs will solve this but will likely bust your budget.

An external audio recorder could be placed in a spot different than the camera.  But more money to spend.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
OP Svetoslav Popov Forum Member • Posts: 87

Thanks, Rag and Bone! But doesn't the Sony ZV-1 still have the 30min recording limitation?

EDIT: NVM, reputable sources say "no limit".

NickZ2016 wrote:

How are you going to record the audio? Will you plug into the sound board or will you have your own mics? Does the budget include mics?

Either way you'll want XLR inputs. An external recorder with XLR inputs will solve this but will likely bust your budget.

An external audio recorder could be placed in a spot different than the camera. But more money to spend.

No, she wants to record in-camera with an external mic. Hence the mic input needed. 3.5mm jack is fine.

Andrew S10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,446

You can get a Sony A6400, cage, 18-105mm lens, and XLR adapter for 1,610 retail, and even cheaper used.

Rag and Bone wrote:

I am happy with my Sony Z-V1. You would want a hdmi-usb stick to use it as a webcam, even though there is a software option for this.

It really checks out. I found this very thorough review, and all points are discussed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APK2eLcEIfc

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

John Koch Senior Member • Posts: 1,452
High Requirements

Svetoslav Popov wrote:

She has some high requirements that i'm having difficulties with. The budget is 1000€, if possible less.

Let's see.   A guess: she is the performer and you are the guy expected to deliver stellar results.  Good luck.

In any case, do some trial and error in rehearsal before the big event.

Audio will be your biggest challenge.

There are plenty of used HD or even 4k cameras for sale that have 3.5mm mic jacks and headphone jacks priced under $700.  There are also good external recorders that cost under $300.

The Sony ZV-1 allows one to use the hot shoe with a mic.  However, the audio won't be very good unless placed fairly close to the performer.  At any distance, ambient noises and echoes will mar the audio quality.

Will there be electronic amplification anyway?  Could your audio capture tap into that?

To repeat: test and experiment first.  Have a back-up audio capture if Plan A fails.

Re: High Requirements

Perhaps i should've been a bit clearer in my OP. Live concerts are a secondary need, and it's more of a documentary purpose. Audio is irrelevant in that case, proper stage mix is available most of the time, if the footage will be used for more than documentation.

Main use scenario is the YouTube thingy. She wants a worry-free, "get-the-tech-out-of-the-way", "press-the-button-and-record-content" solution, with files ready for import and edit in DaVinci. I'm only serving as an advisor for the tech stuff, and only because there's no video guy around to ask.

Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,121

Svetoslav Popov wrote:

Main use scenario is the YouTube thingy. She wants a "press-the-button-and-record-content" solution, with files ready for import and edit in DaVinci. I'm only serving a an advisor for the tech stuff, and only because there's no video guy around to ask.

If main concern is youtube thingy, and she wants it as simple as possible, then she is going to either want a cardioid mic / hyper cardioid mic mounted on a boom pole (if sitting down / not moving around inside ), or a shotgun mic on a boom pole (if not moving around outside), for BEST audio.

If she will be moving around then she will want a lav mic instead. She can get "pretty good" audio by using a wireless lav mic such as rode wireless go. There are similar wireless mics made by other brands too.

For convenience,  a wireless lav mic is best. But she will have to place the mic in the right location and make sure she isn't constantly having it rub against clothing and such.

Most likely she will want a couple of lights and modifiers as well. A lot of beginners use Godox SL-60. A single SL-60, a white shoot through umbrella, and a white bounce board / reflector would be about the easiest "basic" lighting setup. Of course, she will then need a light stand for the light and a reflector stand for the reflector.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more

Off The Mark wrote:

Svetoslav Popov wrote:

Main use scenario is the YouTube thingy. She wants a "press-the-button-and-record-content" solution, with files ready for import and edit in DaVinci. I'm only serving a an advisor for the tech stuff, and only because there's no video guy around to ask.

If main concern is youtube thingy, and she wants it as simple as possible, then she is going to either want a cardioid mic / hyper cardioid mic mounted on a boom pole (if sitting down / not moving around inside ), or a shotgun mic on a boom pole (if not moving around outside), for BEST audio.

If she will be moving around then she will want a lav mic instead. She can get "pretty good" audio by using a wireless lav mic such as rode wireless go. There are similar wireless mics made by other brands too.

For convenience, a wireless lav mic is best. But she will have to place the mic in the right location and make sure she isn't constantly having it rub against clothing and such.

Most likely she will want a couple of lights and modifiers as well. A lot of beginners use Godox SL-60. A single SL-60, a white shoot through umbrella, and a white bounce board / reflector would be about the easiest "basic" lighting setup. Of course, she will then need a light stand for the light and a reflector stand for the reflector.

Thanks, Mark. The Godox lighting setup we have planned is almost 100% the same as you suggested. Seems to be kind of a standard these days. Very affordable.

Those audio suggestions though are quite helpful. It'll certainly help to figure out the best way to get it done.

Svetoslav Popov wrote:

Thanks, Mark. The Godox lighting setup we have planned is almost 100% the same as you suggested. Seems to be kind of a standard these days. Very affordable.

Those audio suggestions though are quite helpful. It'll certainly help to figure out the best way to get it done.

Glad to be helpful.

Also, one other thing to note about audio, since it is so common. It might be tempting to put a shotgun mic on the camera hotshoe and just leave it there. This works fine if you are vlogging with the camera (meaning, the camera and mic are only at arm's length away from the person talking). But it is a recipe for disaster if the camera and mic are going to be more than a couple of feet away.

Shotgun mics are really meant to be used within two feet of the person speaking. Oh, they are also best when NOT pointed at the speakers mouth, but instead are pointed at the neck.

I just mention this because there are common misconceptions about shotgun mics.

-- hide signature --

Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more

Thank you, this is helpful as well. Although that kind of mic will not be used, as there often will be more than one person "on set", so it will probably be something broader, boomed above, or multiple of those clip-on mics.

Svetoslav Popov wrote:

Thank you, this is helpful as well. Although that kind of mic will not be used, as there often will be more than one person "on set", so it will probably be something broader, boomed above, or multiple of those clip-on mics.

If there will be only TWO people to record at a time, Saramonic has a set of wireless lav mics for about $300 US. I have been thinking about getting the set. I was hoping there would be more real world reviews of it before buying it though. I think there is the "pro" version which has a charging case. The advantage over something like Rode Wireless Go is you can record two mics in to one receiver to record two people.

Of course, if you will have MORE than two people, you will need some other solution

I guess the point is, when it comes to audio, a mediocre tool for the right job will always be better than an excellent tool for the wrong job.

-- hide signature --

Interesting info, thanks. I'm not in charge of the audio, but i think there could be up to 5 people in the "studio" sometimes, so we'll see.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads