C&C Sunsets

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,954
C&C Sunsets

No travelling so everything is local. 3 different sunsets from around here.

Cuvier Park

La Jolla

Del Mar beach

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
embie
embie Senior Member • Posts: 2,441
Re: C&C Sunsets

Nice, but a bit overdone ?

-- hide signature --

"Travel is fatal...for prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" (Mark Twain) - "The world...is our home" (eMBie)
You can edit and repost my pictures until you drop but they will still be mine Please respect my copyright

embie's gear list:embie's gear list
Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus TG-5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +2 more
David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 4,321

I like them all, especially the colours.

The horizon in the first one appears to be a little crooked?

Thank you for sharing

David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 7,069

As mentioned, a little over done with the colors. aside from that I don't care for # 1 at all and I would crop # 3 and I love # 2. You asked for C & C. Normally I would not have been that critical of photos.

Nice photos.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,313

I'm surprised to see people comment that they're "overdone". Sunrises and sunsets are probably the only instances in nature that can't be "overdone". Perhaps the colours weren't this vivid. Perhaps they were more vivid. It's only possible to know if you were there and witnessed the spectacle. Maybe the people who claimed they're "overdone" live somewhere where beautiful sunsets never happen?

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Lan Senior Member • Posts: 2,647

A very nice set Gavin; love those bold sunset colours. For me the third one is the best.

Agree with David1961 about the tilt on the first shot though.

mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,893

A nice consistent color range to the set.

If you're looking for C&C - For number 2 the framing with 80-90% of the image is the sky, I don't think the sky truly supports that much dominance, it loses me a lot in the upper left-hand corner, as all of the visual interest to me is in the lower 2/3rds of the sky

The last one is interesting with the heavy lower vignetting. If we are C&Cing it, I think it works as you framed if you take it back into post-processing and get some of the color into the right-hand side or look at another version with another crop to get rid of the too-dark less interesting dominating right side and bring focus to the main part of the scene with the surfer exiting off-center onto the right. A final pro level tip if you're interested - whenever you're shooting something like this, unless you're really excellent at your timing, something to think about is to shoot 3-4 frames so you have a choice to pick one where the surfer's legs are in the best position.

Purely personal opinion, scenes like these have many interpretations and most of what I wrote is purely nit-picking.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
gavin
OP gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,954

Thanks. I think I did crank up the saturation a bit too much. I use Adobe RGB on my calibrated monitor so I should switch to sRGB before I post.

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
gavin

Thank you for your detailed inputs.

-- hide signature --
gavin

Thanks. now that you mention it I notice it myself too!

-- hide signature --
gavin

Thanks. Probably screwed up the leveling when I was editing 1.

-- hide signature --
gavin

Thanks. I was a bit concerned about the saturation.

-- hide signature --
David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 4,321

gavin wrote:

Thanks. I think I did crank up the saturation a bit too much. I use Adobe RGB on my calibrated monitor so I should switch to sRGB before I post.

There is no need to switch to sRGB before posting as long as you embed the working colour space you used to create the image (in this case Adobe RGB) into the output image file.

Most, if not all, of the modern browsers use colour management and so they will convert the image colours to the browser's working colour space, typically sRGB.

If using something like Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, using File->Save  or

File->Save As automatically prompts to embed the working colour space into the output image file.

David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads