Dagor 8 1/4 f6.8 circa 1910

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 6,383
Dagor 8 1/4 f6.8 circa 1910

The vignetting isn't due to the lens, which has some room on a FF sensor. More or less this room:

Data is from a similar Dagor (different FL).

Detail:

Can imagine the amount of detail that can be captured in 8x10 or 11x14. I wonder if I'll ever see an 8x10 digital sensor with 140 lp / mm to try this lens out with it.

I need to find a bellows that maximizes the E-mount diameter. This one is an EXA one with an LM in between. The camera is attached to an LM adapter, then LM->EXA bellows (Topcor), then I put a reverse ring which allows safely pushing the block into the ring, then I used some black tape to attach the Dagor lens (in Xcell shutter) to the reverse ring. It holds the lens, placing it as flat as I can tell.

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 42,319
Re: Dagor 8 1/4 f6.8 circa 1910

Thanks - an interesting concept but somewhere i have not been in lens owmership.My oldest working lens is a 1937-ish FED 100/6.0 in LTM which of course is easily adapted.

Curious about the vignette - if the lens has such a wide exposed surface coverage - there must be something restricting the the image circle.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

OP fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 6,383

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Thanks - an interesting concept but somewhere i have not been in lens owmership.My oldest working lens is a 1937-ish FED 100/6.0 in LTM which of course is easily adapted.

I am so surprised something from 1910 or earlier can produce nice images. Not practical at all. I would need a hood too. But doesn’t take a lot of time to experiment. Some gaffer tape and you are good to experiment and use them.

The “aperture is the shutter. I just put a strip of gaffer of different thicknesses and I stop down a bit.

This lens would be an ultra wide in Long Format. Given the tiny FF sensor it becomes a 210mm lens. One interesting project would be to do it tilt and shift, plus a bellows that is as wide as possible inside near the mount (directly to E, but RF and Z would be better). Sony made the same mistake as Exacta and will cost them in the future.

Curious about the vignette - if the lens has such a wide exposed surface coverage - there must be something restricting the the image circle.

Yes, it’s the small diameter of the mounts. If the lens rear sits close to the mount the lens rays don’t get blocked. If the lens rear element sits 9 inches away from it, it has no path to the corners. If you have any bellow, you don’t even need a lens to see this. Just try to see the corners of the camera sensor from all positions. In this case, it’s a bit worst because the adapters are further and further away from the sensor.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Portrait sample, stopped down maybe 1/3 of area.

Close up

Who knows when was the last time it was used, as the shutter isn't timing well, it's likely a few years, decades...maybe a century?

Do lenses dream of the next photo?

Happy 110 birthday!

Hibbiscus

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads