Macro with Oly 60 mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
jcr1 Regular Member • Posts: 109
Macro with Oly 60 mm

As I said in a previous post, I've found the Oly 60mm lens excellent for portraits. But I'd really like to pursue macro photography.

Here are a few of my initial attempts;

I feel I have a lot to learn!

These have been processed to a certain extent. I've tried Focus Stacking - but I'm a bit unsure about it. From what I read, Bracketing and then stacking the photos in Photo Shop or something similar is better. The site I was looking at said that the 8 images produced in Focus Stacking is not enough for macro work - need more like 15 or so?

What do people think is the best way to go about this macro photography with my new 60 mm lens?

jcr1's gear list:jcr1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M5 III Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-200mm F3.5-6.3 +3 more
agott123
agott123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,317
Re: Macro with Oly 60 mm

jcr1 wrote:

As I said in a previous post, I've found the Oly 60mm lens excellent for portraits. But I'd really like to pursue macro photography.

These have been processed to a certain extent. I've tried Focus Stacking - but I'm a bit unsure about it. From what I read, Bracketing and then stacking the photos in Photo Shop or something similar is better. The site I was looking at said that the 8 images produced in Focus Stacking is not enough for macro work - need more like 15 or so?

What do people think is the best way to go about this macro photography with my new 60 mm lens?

The next "best thing" after getting the great 60mm lens is to learn how to get better light and composition in macro shots.

Just my humble opinion.

Regards

Alex

-- hide signature --

My Street Photography on Instagram @alexgottfriedbonder

agott123's gear list:agott123's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 II +20 more
Atho Regular Member • Posts: 242

Get rid of it. For at 19cm you can only shake a stick at insects. Get the vastly superior 30mm f3.5 for a 2.5:1 experience as you stare down the throats of dragonflies. Or the Om Zuiko 50mm f3.5 which kits up with bellows, mechanical bellows, extension tubes, etc etc. Only my opinion.

Published in the Guardian 3/09/19

EM5 II, OMZ 50mm macro @ f3.5

Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,450

jcr1 wrote:

That's a great start.  I can't post examples at this moment as am in bath and using my phone to read forum, but I have also been enjoying playing with my new Olympus 60mm macro lens this week and it shows great promise that it will be an excellent tool for the job.

One thing I will report though is that my Olympus 60mm macro at 1:1 seems happiest for flat field sharpness between f4 and f8. It's ridiculously sharp in middle at f2.8, but my tests so far shows its all mush by f14 at 1:1 magnification.

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +1 more
skysurfer5
skysurfer5 Contributing Member • Posts: 762

Nice.  This is still portraiture, of course, just on a different scale.

-- hide signature --

'Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?'
…Winston S. Churchill

skysurfer5's gear list:skysurfer5's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +15 more
Rmark
Rmark Senior Member • Posts: 1,065

In general the greater the focal length the greater the working distance, from lens to subject. 60 mm is a pretty good compromise, though I wish Olympus or Panasonic would come out with a 90mm macro. Being further away is not only less threatening to living creatures it simplifies lighting , at least for me.

Most macro I shot was underwater using the old E series bodies coupled with the Sigma 105mm macro. If I start diving again I’ll use the 60mm with an Olympus EM1. Not sure how handheld stacking would work without a tripod

Rmark's gear list:Rmark's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
Bassam Guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,427

jcr1 wrote:

Built-in focus stacking works fine in controlled settings of relatively flat subjects like this coin I focus-stacked when extremely bored a couple of weeks ago.

However, whether focus-stacked or focus-bracketed, an insect in motion will move significantly during the 8+ exposures, unlike the coin that politely remained still.

My guess is this is Japanese, anyone have a clue? Translation?

So, if you do try focus-stacking or focus-bracketing with a moving subject, I wouldn't depend on it, so one of the photographs used to create the stack/bracket might be better than the end result.

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +5 more
OP jcr1 Regular Member • Posts: 109

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I'm certainly taking note of what has been said here.

jcr1's gear list:jcr1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M5 III Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-200mm F3.5-6.3 +3 more
kaphinga
kaphinga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,073

jcr1 wrote:

You are off to a great start.

There's a guy named Mark who post some amazing macro work from time to time in this forum. You might want to check out his webpage that explains some of his technique. He uses the 60mm macro lens a lot.

https://beingmark.com/macro-illustrated/

-- hide signature --

Marie

kaphinga's gear list:kaphinga's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +17 more
rurikw
rurikw Veteran Member • Posts: 3,291
The Oly 60 mm

might be my next lens. I've been very happy with my manual Macro-Takumar 50/4 down to f11. After that diffraction starts to show. But it's manual so focus bracketing has to be manual too and that can be tedious and inaccurate. Been a bit hit and miss so far. So looking to get a camera (G9?) with semi-auto FB. Is in-camera stacking really limited to 8 shots on some camera? I'd use post stacking anyway.

According to some tests the 60mm is the least sharp m43 macro offering but I don't really trust many of the reviews here. They mostly seem to be standardized to longer distances such as 0.5-3m depending on FL and not doing separate testing for macro. Ming Thein (I think it was) preferred the 60 partly due to sharpness. And of course it's more convenient than the shorter ones for the closer range and probably plenty sharp enough in any case.

rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon Coolpix 5000 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill +28 more
Bassam Guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,427
Re: The Oly 60 mm

rurikw wrote:

might be my next lens. I've been very happy with my manual Macro-Takumar 50/4 down to f11. After that diffraction starts to show. But it's manual so focus bracketing has to be manual too and that can be tedious and inaccurate. Been a bit hit and miss so far. So looking to get a camera (G9?) with semi-auto FB. Is in-camera stacking really limited to 8 shots on some camera? I'd use post stacking anyway.

According to some tests the 60mm is the least sharp m43 macro offering but I don't really trust many of the reviews here.

Where did you read that? Are you talking about user reviews?

They mostly seem to be standardized to longer distances such as 0.5-3m depending on FL and not doing separate testing for macro. Ming Thein (I think it was) preferred the 60 partly due to sharpness. And of course it's more convenient than the shorter ones for the closer range and probably plenty sharp enough in any case.

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +5 more
rurikw
rurikw Veteran Member • Posts: 3,291

Opticallimits

rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon Coolpix 5000 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill +28 more
Atho Regular Member • Posts: 242

“And of course it's more convenient than the shorter ones for the closer range and probably plenty sharp enough in any case.”

The 60mm has a close focus distance of 19cm while the 30mm is 9.5cm. Interestingly the 12-45mm f4 has a cf of 12cm at 12mm of 0.5:1 (35mm equivalent).

Now 0.5:1 may not seem like macro but it is exactly the same as folk had when the OmZ 50mm f3.5 was introduced. Furthermore it’s at the wide end of the lens. There is no other DSLR lens that can do that not Nikky, Canny etc etc ad infinitum, none, nada, period.

And here’s a fact that totally went over the heads of all those sterling ambassadors and reviewers that it was no coincidence that the 1245 was released at the  same time as the E-M1 III; for as all is macro-nerds know ... macro lenses are brilliant for astrophotography because of the flat plane.  Hence a 12mm macro lens would be exceptional on its own but genuinely world beating if coupled with a starry sky af program. Now I wonder who does one of those...

agott123
agott123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,317

EPL5 + 60mm F2.8 (2015)

EM10 MkII + 60mm F2.8 (2016)

EPL7 + 60mmF2.8 (2018)

EM5 Mk2 + 60mm F2.8 (2020)

EM10 + 60mm F2.8 (2017)

Love this lens...

Alex

-- hide signature --

My Street Photography on Instagram @alexgottfriedbonder

agott123's gear list:agott123's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 II +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads