Broke my first m43 lens :O

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
bluevellet Veteran Member • Posts: 3,517
Broke my first m43 lens :O

The 12-32 pancake zoom, that is.

Technically, it still works: I can take photos and use AF with it, but it makes a horrible rattling noise as soon as it is in its de-collapsed form.

"But how did you break it", you might ask? With a bit of negligence. I made it a point to carry my old but trusty GM1 in my backpack nearly everywhere I go. Sometimes I switch lenses, but usually the 12-32 is attached to my GM1. Now about the negligence part, I use the backpack to carry stuff. And I often grocery shop with it. Although the camera is in another compartment, some of these groceries are big and heavy and that must have pressed on the lens itself beyond what it could take.

Thankully, the GM1 is fine. That thing is built like a tank. I even stepped on it by accident at one point (The LCD screen is the only weak spot). The 12-32 lens though, it's a kit zoom, plastickly and always felt a bit stiff yet fiddly at the same time. If one m43 lens had to break, it had to be that one, I guess.

Now what to do... buy another one, try the Oly 14-42 pancake zoom for a change or fall back on my good old Lumix pancake primes which are made of sterner stuff?

bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Nikon Z6 Olympus E-M1 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +12 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PeteGeordie Regular Member • Posts: 428
Re: Broke my first m43 lens :O

Is it broken?

They do have a "rattling noise as soon as it is in its de-collapsed form" That is the OIS. Turn the camera on and it engages and should stop rattling.

-- hide signature --

Pete

PeteGeordie's gear list:PeteGeordie's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +5 more
Eric Nepean
Eric Nepean Veteran Member • Posts: 5,663

I had a 12-32 lens that may have suffered some internal damage (my fault). Images seemed to be more blurred than when I first got it.

I found a grey market version for $142 CAN on ebay. Problem solved.

I later bought another Panasonic body that came with a 12-32 lens. Now I have two working copies of the 12-32.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Eric
(Feel free to edit and repost any image that I have posted in a DPR, as long as you identify me as the original poster)

Eric Nepean's gear list:Eric Nepean's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +58 more
cba_melbourne
cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 3,719

Just buy it again, or you will miss it. There is no other lens like it, it's unique. The 12-32 can be found de-kitted for little money. The lens is so cheap, I regard it as "expendable".

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 III +16 more
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 7,851

I got glue in the collapsible mechanism, while reattaching the zoom ring for the second time.  Bought a used one with metal mount and fully plastic body.  Kept old one for spare MFT lens mount.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +28 more
Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 3,946

bluevellet wrote:

Now what to do... buy another one, try the Oly 14-42 pancake zoom for a change or fall back on my good old Lumix pancake primes which are made of sterner stuff?

I killed one by dropping it lens first while extended. Though from only about 3 inches off the ground. I bought a new copy in a hurry, as I like it, it's the lens I use most for travel (about 60% of my pics) and we were going on a big trip the next week.

There's usually a plentiful supply on eBay for $99. I've since got two others with other purchases, and they vary a lot. That second lens I've got is the best of the bunch.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
Till Kamppeter
Till Kamppeter Regular Member • Posts: 151

Had exactly the same with my first, metal-mount, 7-year-old 12-32 mm, carried it whenever I went out in my pants pocket on an E-PM2, E-PL7, E-PL9, GX80, GX9, E-M5 III, and PEN F. Got my most used lens. I had even to re-attach the Zoom ring with double-sided tape around 2 years ago. I simply sold it for parts/experimental use, got 25 EUR for it and bought a used one in like-new condition plastic-mount for 100 EUR at mpb.com. The site was full of these lenses, probably practically all de-kitted from people who got it with their cameras.

Here is my classified ad in the DSLR-Forum of Germany. The lens is already sold.

7 years is a good age for such a kit lens, it served very well for me.

Simply get a de-kitted one from the used market.

Till

Till Kamppeter's gear list:Till Kamppeter's gear list
Olympus E-M5 III Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +11 more
Tim Reidy Productions
Tim Reidy Productions Veteran Member • Posts: 4,451
me too

my lens is now a crippled one, but it still works, but I had to work on it

this lens is not rugged, and good for kit and fun, but there other tougher

Tim Reidy Productions's gear list:Tim Reidy Productions's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Pentax K-7 +3 more
Till Kamppeter
Till Kamppeter Regular Member • Posts: 151

I got a message of the buyer of my lens. Shortly after he got it also the auto focus died and then he opened it on the mount side and found out that there was a ribbon cable inside which broke from the contacts on the PCB.

Till

Till Kamppeter's gear list:Till Kamppeter's gear list
Olympus E-M5 III Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +11 more
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 7,729

I've got a spare one I've been meaning to sell off if you're interested, it's black but the plastic mount version, basically unused tho. Only time I ever took it out of the box was to shoot a couple comparison shots against my older silver & metal mount 12-32 that I'd bought separately (got the black one w/the GX850).

I've been meaning to sell off my GM1 and had been holding off on the lens to try and bundle them, quarantine hasn't done any favors to my procrastination, heh.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads