Lenses for M6 mark II wide end

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
3210123 New Member • Posts: 15
Lenses for M6 mark II wide end

Hi,

How do you see the wide end options and their strenghts for M6 mark II?

This is how i cover the focal lengths I need right now:

55 - 200mm f/4.5-6.3 Canon ef-m

• lighweight reach for outdoor sports and all around telephoto 

56mm f/1.4 Sigma ef-m

• a must for indoor sports (bjj & submission wrestling), superb images and lens everywhere

32mm f/1.4 Canon ef-m

• the one I use the most, an all-arounder, superb lens

18 - 150mm f/3.5-6.3 Canon ef-m

• for convenience, no lens changes

17mm Huawei p30 Pro phone

• amazing camera, as good as the 18 - 150mm f/3.5-6.3 Canon ef-m at 18mm, in low light even better and sometimes the 5xzoom can give ok images too

10mm Huawei p30 Pro phone

• convenient wide-angle that makes striking images, sometimes a bit over processed though

The only one I might give up is the 18 - 150mm f/3.5-6.3 Canon ef-m. Convenience is nice, but the M6 mark II camera gear is so small and light that I can carry all the lenses all the time. Also using the p30 Pro camera is quicker than changing lenses. Keeping a prime lens or a long reach tele on the M6 mark II and using the Huawei p30 Pro for wide angle (and even some quick tele) shots seems to make more sense than compromising the creative options by using a superzoom. I feel that the point of carrying a DSLR is getting some great photos instead of just documenting things with an ok quality.

So I’ve also thought about selling the 18 - 150mm f/3.5-6.3 Canon ef-m. Would I miss it and where if so? Zooming in videography? Sitting in a tourist bus ? Thoughts?

In the other hand, especially if I sell the 18 - 150mm, I’ve considered getting the Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM and the Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM. The 22mm prime is so small and cheap that I’ll most likely just get it. The 11-22mm I’m not so sure about because the p30 Pro covers a lot of its focal length well and is most likely better in low light 17mm shots. For me indoors is where an ultra-wide is often used. Again, high quality video and possibility to zoom during shots might be a reason for the 11-22mm too? Any other points of view are appreciated. Thanks!

3210123's gear list:3210123's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 +1 more
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lumenite Contributing Member • Posts: 994
Re: Lenses for M6 mark II wide end

3210123 wrote:

Hi,

How do you see the wide end options and their strenghts for M6 mark II?

This is how i cover the focal lengths I need right now:

55 - 200mm f/4.5-6.3 Canon ef-m

• lighweight reach for outdoor sports and all around telephoto

56mm f/1.4 Sigma ef-m

• a must for indoor sports (bjj & submission wrestling), superb images and lens everywhere

32mm f/1.4 Canon ef-m

• the one I use the most, an all-arounder, superb lens

18 - 150mm f/3.5-6.3 Canon ef-m

• for convenience, no lens changes

17mm Huawei p30 Pro phone

• amazing camera, as good as the 18 - 150mm f/3.5-6.3 Canon ef-m at 18mm, in low light even better and sometimes the 5xzoom can give ok images too

10mm Huawei p30 Pro phone

• convenient wide-angle that makes striking images, sometimes a bit over processed though

The only one I might give up is the 18 - 150mm f/3.5-6.3 Canon ef-m. Convenience is nice, but the M6 mark II camera gear is so small and light that I can carry all the lenses all the time. Also using the p30 Pro camera is quicker than changing lenses. Keeping a prime lens or a long reach tele on the M6 mark II and using the Huawei p30 Pro for wide angle (and even some quick tele) shots seems to make more sense than compromising the creative options by using a superzoom. I feel that the point of carrying a DSLR is getting some great photos instead of just documenting things with an ok quality.

So I’ve also thought about selling the 18 - 150mm f/3.5-6.3 Canon ef-m. Would I miss it and where if so? Zooming in videography? Sitting in a tourist bus ? Thoughts?

In the other hand, especially if I sell the 18 - 150mm, I’ve considered getting the Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM and the Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM. The 22mm prime is so small and cheap that I’ll most likely just get it. The 11-22mm I’m not so sure about because the p30 Pro covers a lot of its focal length well and is most likely better in low light 17mm shots. For me indoors is where an ultra-wide is often used. Again, high quality video and possibility to zoom during shots might be a reason for the 11-22mm too? Any other points of view are appreciated. Thanks!

If you are satisfied with your phone camera, the combination of phone + 55-200 might be very useful. The strengths of 22mm are definitely its compact size and low light performance. You will not be disappointed with the purchase. I love my 11-22, but I do not have a Huawei.

lumenite's gear list:lumenite's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS M Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +6 more
dan the man p Regular Member • Posts: 296

The 22 f/2 is great in low light, especially for the price. I'm not sure I'd call it wide-angle, but I guess that's relative.

The two native Canon wide-angle M lenses, the 11-22 and 15-45, aren't really indoor lenses. The Sigma 16mm f/1.4 would probably be the best truly wide-angle indoor EF-M lens, but it's pricey.

dan the man p's gear list:dan the man p's gear list
Sony DSC-RX0 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
lumenite Contributing Member • Posts: 994

dan the man p wrote:

The 22 f/2 is great in low light, especially for the price. I'm not sure I'd call it wide-angle, but I guess that's relative.

The two native Canon wide-angle M lenses, the 11-22 and 15-45, aren't really indoor lenses. The Sigma 16mm f/1.4 would probably be the best truly wide-angle indoor EF-M lens, but it's pricey.

For me, the obstacle to getting Sigma 16mm is its bulky size.

lumenite's gear list:lumenite's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS M Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +6 more
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,601

dan the man p wrote:

+1 the EF-M zooms are really nice outdoors (I have good copies of the 11-22, 15-45, 18-55, and 18-150).  And the Sigma 16 is just perfect for indoor events (fast-focusing, sharp, great IQ).

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5
Microprism Contributing Member • Posts: 865

dan the man p wrote:

You might also look at the 12mm f/2 Rokinon in EF-M mount. I bought one a month ago and am pleased with its size, IQ and fast aperture, but I'm not a dedicated wide angle shooter. The price was right, too: on sale for $250 at the time. It is manual focus which doesn't bother me.

Microprism's gear list:Microprism's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +22 more
Anthony Milton Regular Member • Posts: 253

The 18-150mm lens really is an excellent all round lens. It sits on my M50 and I rarely change it. I do have the 11-22.mm and 22 mm lenses but rarely use them. If one needs zooms with better IQ, the only option, in my opinion, is to go to Canon L lenses, but they are expensive and heavy.

Here are a few snap shots of no artistic merit, to illustrate its versatility.

Hellebore

Border Terrier

Animal Magic

Morris Dancer

Boat at speed

Montenegro

Montenegro sunset

Gulet

Primroses

Anthony Milton's gear list:Anthony Milton's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,903

Anthony Milton wrote:

The 18-150mm lens really is an excellent all round lens. It sits on my M50 and I rarely change it. I do have the 11-22.mm and 22 mm lenses but rarely use them. If one needs zooms with better IQ, the only option, in my opinion, is to go to Canon L lenses, but they are expensive and heavy.

Hellebore

Border Terrier

Animal Magic

Morris Dancer

Boat at speed

Montenegro

Montenegro sunset

Gulet

Primroses

I agree. I have that lens too and have used all the Canon EF-M lenses except the 32 MM and I can honestly say that it is better than the 18-55 and 15-45 mm ( not unexpected in the case of the latter ) and is as good as the 11-22.Not quite as good as the 22 and 28mm which is to be expected but the differences are negligible. L lenses might be better but the trade off beteen weight,bulk and price vs the convenience and versatility of the 18-150,is a no brainer IMHO.

natrpixvet New Member • Posts: 6

Have you considered Rokinon 12mm F2 manual focus lens?  Very sharp, fast, and relatively inexpensive.  19mm equivalent focal length.  I have one and like it a lot.

natrpixvet's gear list:natrpixvet's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +6 more
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,294

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have a Huawei p30 Pro phone, but I would be astounded that any phone could match a M6 ii + 11-22mm. It is a great lens on my M5, and I am sure even better on a M6 ii.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
OP 3210123 New Member • Posts: 15

Hi,

I ended up buying the 22mm f/2 and the first tests are very promising. I have a project in which I need to shoot indoors with shutters faster than 1/500 so my primes are the only way to go.

I guess maybe later I'll be considering the ef-m 11 - 22mm but it is going to be choosing in between that and my ef-m 18 - 150mm as 5 lenses is enough to carry.

3210123's gear list:3210123's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 +1 more
Larry Rexley Regular Member • Posts: 214

Dareshooter wrote:

I agree. I have that lens too and have used all the Canon EF-M lenses except the 32 MM and I can honestly say that it is better than the 18-55 and 15-45 mm ( not unexpected in the case of the latter ) and is as good as the 11-22.Not quite as good as the 22 and 28mm which is to be expected but the differences are negligible. L lenses might be better but the trade off beteen weight,bulk and price vs the convenience and versatility of the 18-150,is a no brainer IMHO.

The 15-45mm has gotten sort of a bad rap... I too thought it wasn't very good, but on giving it a second chance - using it and testing it quite a bit, it turns out to be a very good lens, if you have a good copy of it (mine is). In my case I was originally using it with all the lens corrections 'on' in camera, and DPP would apply them... after that I just couldn't get a good image out of it. The corrections apparently were applying all sort of who-knows what processing including oversharpening and smearing of detail correcting chromatic aberration I think, destroying a lot of the detail.

When I used it with all corrections turned off in camera, minimum sharpness settings, and using something OTHER than Canon DPP, it turns out to be an excellent performer. Sharp almost to the edges even wide open, by f5.6 - f8 uniformly excellent across the frame. About as good as my Canon EF-S 10-18mm IS STM at 18mm, and noticeably better than my EF-S 18-135mm IS STM around 18mm.

Here's a shot I took tonight with the EF-M 15-45mm at 17mm, at f8. Perspective corrected slightly, cropped to 16:9 plus trimmed off about 5% more off the width, downsized to 4k, Minimal sharpening on it after that. Contrast, gamma, saturation adjusted. This was a 1/8s exposure hand-held using electronic shutter, thank goodness for lens IS!!

Canon M6 Mk II, EF-M 15-45mm f3.5-6.3 at 17mm, f8, ISO 100, daylight balance, 1/8 s hand-held with IS, electronic shutter

Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,903

Fast_Larry wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

The 15-45mm has gotten sort of a bad rap... I too thought it wasn't very good, but on giving it a second chance - using it and testing it quite a bit, it turns out to be a very good lens, if you have a good copy of it (mine is). In my case I was originally using it with all the lens corrections 'on' in camera, and DPP would apply them... after that I just couldn't get a good image out of it. The corrections apparently were applying all sort of who-knows what processing including oversharpening and smearing of detail correcting chromatic aberration I think, destroying a lot of the detail.

When I used it with all corrections turned off in camera, minimum sharpness settings, and using something OTHER than Canon DPP, it turns out to be an excellent performer. Sharp almost to the edges even wide open, by f5.6 - f8 uniformly excellent across the frame. About as good as my Canon EF-S 10-18mm IS STM at 18mm, and noticeably better than my EF-S 18-135mm IS STM around 18mm.

Here's a shot I took tonight with the EF-M 15-45mm at 17mm, at f8. Perspective corrected slightly, cropped to 16:9 plus trimmed off about 5% more off the width, downsized to 4k, Minimal sharpening on it after that. Contrast, gamma, saturation adjusted. This was a 1/8s exposure hand-held using electronic shutter, thank goodness for lens IS!!

Canon M6 Mk II, EF-M 15-45mm f3.5-6.3 at 17mm, f8, ISO 100, daylight balance, 1/8 s hand-held with IS, electronic shutter

Great shot Larry you are one of the fortunate ones too a get a decent copy it seems . I did give the 15-45 more than a second chance,in fact I tried three, two were lousy and the third one was diabolical so I gave up. Shame as it was a lens I wanted to like. I've owned and used many lenses over the past thirty years and apart from an iffy Canon 17-85 these are the only lenses that I've had to return to the dealer.

filibuster
filibuster Veteran Member • Posts: 4,197

Fast_Larry wrote:

Indeed that is a beautiful image. And what awesome hints and tips written into your paragraphs. Time to do some side by side studies of ‘with and without’ to see if my beady old eyes can detect those differences. There’s always something to do when the ground outside is under 7 cm of snow!

-- hide signature --

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is!
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
RAPID FIRE SLIDESHOW
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nnwA69ZWaEdiUvGY9
FILIBUSTER TOWERS - 2020
https://photos.app.goo.gl/orQzawc5Qx6XUs8E8
APPLIED - MY BATCH PROCESSING SCRIPT
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cg9xuaGWwjB45fTu6
ASTRO TURF THE GARDEN
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GyeDrjncjKh1X7pJ8

geru Senior Member • Posts: 1,189

Dareshooter wrote:

Anthony Milton wrote:

Primroses

Very nice shots some complain that the 18-150 is soft but your shots seem to indicate otherwise.

I hope everyone on the Gulet has a life jacket on. It seem to be listing forward and port. 😁😁

geru's gear list:geru's gear list
Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
prospects Regular Member • Posts: 247

3210123 wrote:

Hi,

I ended up buying the 22mm f/2 and the first tests are very promising. I have a project in which I need to shoot indoors with shutters faster than 1/500 so my primes are the only way to go.

I guess maybe later I'll be considering the ef-m 11 - 22mm but it is going to be choosing in between that and my ef-m 18 - 150mm as 5 lenses is enough to carry.

I love using the 22mm f2, it’s the most versatile out of all the EFM lens imo especially if you’re looking to have some bokeh.

I enjoyed using 11-22mm as well for my UWA needs.

However, I’ve had a bad experience with the 11-22mm as mine died even though I would still consider it 10/10 condition. If anyone does a quick Google search, you’d find a number of people facing similar lens errors and communication issues with the 11-22mm. While most people would treat it as an uncommon problem, I haven’t seen such reports from the other EFM lenses.

alan brown Contributing Member • Posts: 779

prospects wrote:

3210123 wrote:

Hi,

I love using the 22mm f2, it’s the most versatile out of all the EFM lens imo especially if you’re looking to have some bokeh.

I enjoyed using 11-22mm as well for my UWA needs.

However, I’ve had a bad experience with the 11-22mm as mine died even though I would still consider it 10/10 condition. If anyone does a quick Google search, you’d find a number of people facing similar lens errors and communication issues with the 11-22mm. While most people would treat it as an uncommon problem, I haven’t seen such reports from the other EFM lenses.

I too had a similar problem with the 11-22.  I sent it to Canon and they ended up sending me another one (for a price).  Second one has worked perfectly so far.

-- hide signature --

alan brown

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads