Spot the Puma

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,601
Spot the Puma

This image is from the US Fish and Wildlife Services Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/USFWS/photos/a.419357095774/10159127190015775/?type=3

Should this post be in Nature and Wildlife Photography?

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi

Blind Bill
Blind Bill Contributing Member • Posts: 988
Re: Spot the Puma

It took a few seconds to find it..they are amazing creatures.  I am retired from the state wildlife agency and traveled extensively in and over remote areas (foot, truck, ATV, horseback, aircraft) and I have only seen two.  They are there, they are elusive and shy...but beautiful once seen.

Blind Bill's gear list:Blind Bill's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Milvus 15mm F2.8 Zeiss Milvus 50mm F2 Macro Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +1 more
mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,921

talk about 'hiding in plain sight'

Have never ran into one in all the years in the outdoors and hope to keep it that way.

There was not too long ago a video I saw posted on social media of one following a hiker along the trail with the hiker repeatedly trying to scare it away over and over again, a whole lot of uncontrolled swearing during the encounter and changing of underwear later I'm sure.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,427

It is fine here and a nice contribution.  I would show it in the Wildlife forum.  I looked and looked and missed it.  I am what I call a "scanner".  Then someone talked about missing it even walking right over it and I looked again more carefully and it popped into view.

Thanks for the post.

-- hide signature --

You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR. If you want to edit an image that does not belong to me that I have edited and posted, you need to contact the owner.
---
http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.rickswavepics.com

Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 7,236

It was not that hard when you knew what to look for.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +5 more
jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 4,655

Sagittarius wrote:

It was not that hard when you knew what to look for.

Agreed, but there are also scanning techniques, especially the Winthrop technique, to look for things, be they people, animals or other features, that help locate things in unfamiliar landscapes.

Nice image.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +6 more
GCam Veteran Member • Posts: 9,430

Almost jumps right out at you.  gc

KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 7,074

Well, I guess I've got 20/60 or worse vision but I still can't see it unless the image is too big on my laptop screen.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Blind Bill
Blind Bill Contributing Member • Posts: 988

KENTGA wrote:

Well, I guess I've got 20/60 or worse vision but I still can't see it unless the image is too big on my laptop screen.

Kent

Bottom-left. You can see it’s face (looking at you) in the darkness of the cave.

Blind Bill's gear list:Blind Bill's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Milvus 15mm F2.8 Zeiss Milvus 50mm F2 Macro Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +1 more
OP wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,601

I could be imagining that I saw a second puma made from stems? Some of those who replied in the Facebook page are seeing more cats.

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi

Chuvarsky
Chuvarsky Senior Member • Posts: 2,552
Re: Spot the Puma, Yellowstone version

When I saw this thread, I thought what the heck.  My son is a ranger at Yellowstone.  Last November he was on patrol near the East entrance, when his car got stuck in a snow drift.  As he was shoveling it out he turned and there was a Puma ~ 6 ft away.  It ran and hid under a tree.  Taken with his cell phone:

-- hide signature --

Dick

Chuvarsky's gear list:Chuvarsky's gear list
Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +7 more
GCam Veteran Member • Posts: 9,430

Not a very good shot in B&W, even though it appears to be shot in color.  What can you do in snow, when it's winter and most everything is b&w.  This one looks to be quite young.  gc

KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 7,074
Not Blind Bill--- Try Blind Kent

Thanks, Bill

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 4,655

Chuvarsky wrote:

When I saw this thread, I thought what the heck. My son is a ranger at Yellowstone. Last November he was on patrol near the East entrance, when his car got stuck in a snow drift. As he was shoveling it out he turned and there was a Puma ~ 6 ft away. It ran and hid under a tree. Taken with his cell phone:

That's a great spontaneous grab shot where the capture of the moment is far more important that any technical aspect of the photograph. Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads