Lack of activity

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 48,554
Lack of activity

During the last week or so I've noticed a surge in old threads being revived, some over 8 years old. Is it because we are running out of things to talk about? I don't post much myself any more yet my name is still in the top posters list with only 12 posts.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
hwvlover
hwvlover Veteran Member • Posts: 6,099
Re: Lack of activity

tbcass wrote:

During the last week or so I've noticed a surge in old threads being revived, some over 8 years old. Is it because we are running out of things to talk about? I don't post much myself any more yet my name is still in the top posters list with only 12 posts.

Tom, all the forums on dpr which I watch simply don't seem to have the same amount of activity as they did a year ago, some threads requiring contributions now drag on for weeks when previously they might have reached post limit in a few days.

Obviously people come and go but I think that the wretched virus might also  have had significant impact on contributors.
Regards,
David
Growing old is inevitable; growing up, however, is optional.
And I have opted out.

hwvlover's gear list:hwvlover's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony RX10 IV
Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,590

hwvlover wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Tom, all the forums on dpr which I watch simply don't seem to have the same amount of activity as they did a year ago, some threads requiring contributions now drag on for weeks when previously they might have reached post limit in a few days.

Obviously people come and go but I think that the wretched virus might also have had significant impact on contributors.
Regards,
David
Growing old is inevitable; growing up, however, is optional.
And I have opted out.

No travel pictures or videos in these times and- Cyber-shot cameras are travel cameras.

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +14 more
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 13,503

There haven't been any new RX cameras for quite a while, and people aren't taking (m)any interesting pictures away from home. And sales of compact cameras are right down, so not many newbies are asking 'how do I' questions or complaining that their new camera doesn't do something it does do.

Maybe some of the resurrected old threads might be from people who diligently discovered that their question had been asked before, and added their question to the old thread.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III +19 more

Digital Nigel wrote:

There haven't been any new RX cameras for quite a while, and people aren't taking (m)any interesting pictures away from home. And sales of compact cameras are right down, so not many newbies are asking 'how do I' questions or complaining that their new camera doesn't do something it does do.

Maybe some of the resurrected old threads might be from people who diligently discovered that their question had been asked before, and added their question to the old thread.

The Sony ZV-1 is new and created quite a buzz; but the emphasis of that camera is video, which is not of major interest here.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +14 more
Linda F Contributing Member • Posts: 596

Afraid it’s probably due to the virus. For the first time in many years I’m having to check my camera batteries regularly because I’m not using them! Lockdowns mean any form of travel is severely restricted and we haven’t had a vacation in the last 16 months. This coupled with winter weather doesn’t really inspire anyone to go out with a camera.

We can only hope that things improve for everyone over the next few months. Meanwhile, stay safe.

aerorail Contributing Member • Posts: 916
its true

i'm busy still opening christmas presents and yeah, same old same old here

when will the next sony rx100 come out should i wait for it (2 yrs down the road) or buy this model

what will sony have in the next rx100

i think sony should put this and this and this in the next one

what case will fit this

critique this average snapshot

my camera wont turn on

aerorail's gear list:aerorail's gear list
Sony RX100 III
Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,589

Gee, we haven't had any trolls lately either. We need a post that is highly controversial to generate some activity.

Maybe something contentious like UV filter or no UV filter!!

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 +2 more
tbcass
OP tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 48,554

Jerry045 wrote:

Gee, we haven't had any trolls lately either. We need a post that is highly controversial to generate some activity.

I used to say something controversial once in a while when things got quiet but no more since I got banned for 5 days a few months ago.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more

Jerry045 wrote:

The evergreen one is raw vs JPEG. Even the full-frame E-mount forum has had a recent thread on that subject.

But that forum is busy with posts on new cameras (two last year, one with a new form factor) and the steady stream of new lenses (one just in the last week, and a number last year). There's also the inevitable speculation on new cameras (eg, a possible A9iii, driven by demands from pro photographers preparing for the 2020 Olympics still planned for this summer), but with much more reason than here, given the certainty that there will be at least two or three new bodies this year. There is also discussion on new competitor cameras, and how Sony will respond.

But over here, there hasn't been a new RX camera lens for 2.5 years, and the sole new body last year, the ZV-1, was just a repackaged RX100M5A, which lost more than it gained. No new lenses or sensors for almost two years, and no new competitor cameras for 18 months.

Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III +19 more
tbcass

The limit on the number of press allowed for the next Summer Olympics is 6000. Photographers are only a small part of that. Not enough to put a dent in the number of camera sales.

Accreditation - Olympic Games Tokyo 2020

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass wrote:

The limit on the number of press allowed for the next Summer Olympics is 6000. Photographers are only a small part of that. Not enough to put a dent in the number of camera sales.

Accreditation - Olympic Games Tokyo 2020

I wonder how that compares with previous Olympics?

I assume each photographer takes several camera bodies.

Video is what is new

Jerry045 wrote:

The new posts here that get people upset are those that talk about video, and in particular promote getting more video features on the cameras.

That people have mostly ignored the Sony ZV-1 (as if it does not exist) - a new camera in the RX100 series - reflects the uninterest and perhaps hostility to video here., since that is explicitly a video-oriented RX100. Yes, Sony has introduced a new Cyber-shot camera recently. Lack of new cameras is not the issue (it's lack of travel)

See, I am being controversial.

tbcass
Re: Video is what is new

Markr041 wrote:

Jerry045 wrote:

The new posts here that get people upset are those that talk about video, and in particular promote getting more video features on the cameras.

That people have mostly ignored the Sony ZV-1 (as if it does not exist) - a new camera in the RX100 series - reflects the uninterest and perhaps hostility to video here., since that is explicitly a video-oriented RX100. Yes, Sony has introduced a new Cyber-shot camera recently. Lack of new cameras is not the issue (it's lack of travel)

I think the previous and totally illogical hostility we used to see toward video in these forums has greatly diminished. There isn't a lot of interest in video beyond casual use since this is mostly a stills photography forum. There is even less interest for vlogging which the ZV-1 was designed for. For the vast majority of us the ZV-1 doesn't offer anything for video the RX100Va doesn't provide and the Va is better for stills.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

Jerry045 wrote:

I think the previous and totally illogical hostility we used to see toward video in these forums has greatly diminished. There isn't a lot of interest in video beyond casual use since this is mostly a stills photography forum. There is even less interest for vlogging which the ZV-1 was designed for. For the vast majority of us the ZV-1 doesn't offer anything for video the RX100Va doesn't provide and the Va is better for stills.

No. The ZV-1 has better audio than all the RX cameras - the mics are better and you get an effective wind protector. There is also an external mic port, unlike the VA. The AF is better than that of the VA as well.

Audio is key for video.

The ZV-1 is not just a camera for vloggers, as I have tried to convey with many posts here of videos including those where audio is the point - music. Sony markets the ZV-1 camera for "creators" not just vloggers. The problem is that most of the reviewers are vloggers ao that distorts the camera's capabilities as a video camera.

The problem in this forum is not just uninterest in video, it is ignorance about it.

tbcass

Markr041 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

No. The ZV-1 has better audio than all the RX cameras - the mics are better and you get an effective wind protector. There is also an external mic port, unlike the VA. The AF is better than that of the VA as well.

Audio is key for video.

The ZV-1 is not just a camera for vloggers, as I have tried to convey with many posts here of videos including those where audio is the point - music. Sony markets the ZV-1 camera for "creators" not just vloggers. The problem is that most of the reviewers are vloggers ao that distorts the camera's capabilities as a video camera.

The problem in this forum is not just uninterest in video, it is ignorance about it.

You missed the key point I made in my post; "For the vast majority of us". Apparently that doesn't include you.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Audio is key for video.

You missed the key point I made in my post; "For the vast majority of us". Apparently that doesn't include you.

You missed my point - if the vast majority do not see the advantage for video of the ZV-1 over the RX100 VA, that is due to ignorance of video and maybe the ZV-1. I do not think that includes you.

Markr041 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

Jerry045 wrote:

Audio is key for video.

Yes, that's certainly true of me. If I had an interest in video, I suppose I'd frequent a different forum:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1045

sludge21017
sludge21017 Senior Member • Posts: 2,713

How many more posts must we suffer about the RX10M5?

Or bother to read 10 posts dug up from 2013 by the same person?

Waiting for the RX100M8 posts...

OldGuy-Yuri Regular Member • Posts: 234

Jerry045 wrote:

LOL!  filters are so...  film...                   (only kidding...)
and when your cameras aren't ILC and you really can't be jones-in about the latest greatest BIF lens ... well, that leaves you with 'Post-P' threads (which doesn't seem to generate much here)...

that leaves you with ... Photography!  Oh My! 
I'm actually, mostly an M4/3 guy (equipment-wise), and have also had a SONY cybershot for some years. Sometimes the SONY is all I'll carry.
The M4/3 forum is an active place, with plenty of 'tool time', trolls and Pany vs Oly...
and some regular and active  'photo' threads (which could be more...) which are great.
I've really taken to this group, because you all are happy to show and talk photos/images/feelings. I learn, grow and get stoked from 'seeing'; and seeing what you all post up, is great! Keeps the cogs turnin...
The cybershot camera group is very diverse, it impinges on 'Landscape'/Nature, Street, Sport and all of the above, with equal potential. Going out with my little HX80 also has me excited to 'see' and capture something worth re-visualizing.
all of life is cyclical... why would Cybershot forum be any different?
keep it up... it's all good!
Thx
Yuri

-- hide signature --

Cold-hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colours from our sight
Red is grey is yellow white
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion - Graham Edge

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads