Mid-Atlantic Feathers - A6600 & Sony 100-400

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
nopix
nopix Senior Member • Posts: 1,888
Mid-Atlantic Feathers - A6600 & Sony 100-400

Some with 1.4X TC and some without.

These are much more interesting when viewed at original size.

Got it!

This guy was doing something I had not seen before - it was violently swinging the fish in its mouth back and forth like a dog with a toy.

The Stab

Finally some Snow Geese

And a Bald Eagle. It didn't come real close but I did get this record pic.

A Ring-Billed Gull

Mallards

Canada Geese

Dunlin (mostly) These  guys are in large flocks and take off, turn, and land en masse. A real sight to see.

Also Dunlin

The day ends with a sunset

A couple Mallards swimming by to end the day

nopix's gear list:nopix's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III +16 more
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 33,789
nopix,

Beautiful set - good mix of stuff for the mid-Atlantic this time of year!  Figured you'd be cold and snowy by now.

Our herons sometimes do the shake with fish - depends on whether it's 'acting up' and wriggling around - I think they're trying to 'stun' it into not moving so when they toss it up to swallow, it doesn't go wriggling out and get away.

Neat to see all the snow geese - I only saw that once in my life, way up in Quebec, at the beginning of winter when they were gathering to get ready to head south.  Most of the migrating geese never come this far south into Florida, so I never get to see snow or Canadian geese.

Your eagle is a youngster - we mostly see adults when we see them at all, though a few years ago I got to see two juveniles at the nest.

Love the second dunlin shot in flight - the background makes it.  And the two sunset shots were quite moody and lovely.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +21 more
Ed Rosack Forum Member • Posts: 78
Re: Mid-Atlantic Feathers - A6600 & Sony 100-400

A very nice set of photos - you had a good trip.

Can I ask where this is in the Mid-Atlantic?

Ed Rosack's gear list:Ed Rosack's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R III Sony a6600 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +17 more
nopix
OP nopix Senior Member • Posts: 1,888

Ed Rosack wrote:

A very nice set of photos - you had a good trip.

Can I ask where this is in the Mid-Atlantic?

Thanks Ed. This was at Bombay Hook in Delaware. My usual haunts are Bombay Hook, Blackwater NWR in Maryland, sometimes Conowingo Dam in Maryland all are almost exactly 75 miles from home. For slightly longer trips I go to Chincoteague in Virginia which is longer, about 140 mile from home.

Bombay Hook has a great variety of feathered critters and the drive is now paved.

Blackwater is easily accessible and has the largest number of active Bald Eagle nests on the east coast (so I have been told).

Conowingo Dam has the largest number of Bald Eagles in the winter numbering up to 100 but it is not easily accessible to people with handicap stickers (can't walk more than a few feet).

Chincoteague is a hotel trip away and has a nice variety of critters, a nice beach, and numerous hotels and restaurants.

nopix
OP nopix Senior Member • Posts: 1,888
Re: nopix,

Thanks Justin

No, we are not snowy, just frozen. But, compared to Florida it is really cold up here. There is always a nice variety at Bombay Hook, the problem is that often times it is out of reach or seriously backlit.

In winter the main attraction are the Snow Geese which have been missing this year. Normally we see them in the tens of thousands. This year we have seen 5, 10, 100 or like on this trip a bonanza of about 1,000. People come from as far as Ohio and illinois to see the Snow Geese.

Ed Rosack Forum Member • Posts: 78

Thanks for the info.  You have some greats spots up there. Thanks for posting.

My favorite place down here is Merritt Island NWR.  We see a lot of the same birds - but no Snow Geese!

Ed Rosack's gear list:Ed Rosack's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R III Sony a6600 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +17 more
davect01
davect01 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,264

Wonderful collection from a great camera and lens combo

-- hide signature --

Former NEX-3, F3, NEX-6 and A6000 owner. Current A6400 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

davect01's gear list:davect01's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Newbie Phewbie Senior Member • Posts: 1,830
Lovely set! (nt)

No text.

Newbie Phewbie's gear list:Newbie Phewbie's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads