What does mean (IP) in my printer name, how to set up with Mac?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
pixelplayer Regular Member • Posts: 156
What does mean (IP) in my printer name, how to set up with Mac?

Hello,

What is the difference between EPSON SC-P800 Series (IP) and EPSON SC-P800 Series in the printer name?
For some reason when I select the last one, it prints with a magenta or sometimes a yellow color cast.

Now, I have the same problem of color cast when I select EPSON -SC-P800 Series (IP).

Also, in "supply levels", colors are not shown the same way between the two.
What is the best way to set up my SC-P800 printer in mac OS ?

My feeling is that because I am currently messing with the network settings, something has changed on the printer side and I can't get the colors printing correctly now.

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

Greg

pixelplayer's gear list:pixelplayer's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 II +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 9,973
Re: What does mean (IP) in my printer name, how to set up with Mac?

the '(IP)' means Internet Protocol and that's what you want (although Bonjour also gets the job done.

Bigger question is that in your 2 screengrabs, I see that in the printer driver you're selecting Epson Matte (and matte black) but the Photoshop(?) printer dialog shows some sort of 'bright white' which I would not think is correct if you're using Epson Matte paper.

That could certainly account for color problems.

-- hide signature --

Online civility: Before you press 'Post', ask yourself if you'd say that to someone face to face.

OP pixelplayer Regular Member • Posts: 156

Howard Moftich wrote:

the '(IP)' means Internet Protocol and that's what you want (although Bonjour also gets the job done.

Bigger question is that in your 2 screengrabs, I see that in the printer driver you're selecting Epson Matte (and matte black) but the Photoshop(?) printer dialog shows some sort of 'bright white' which I would not think is correct if you're using Epson Matte paper.

That could certainly account for color problems.

Thanks for the reply Howard.

Bright white is the profile provided by Fotospeed for that (Matte) paper (NTSBrightWhite is the paper name). and Matte black is the black ink (Matte because the paper is Matte) I have printed successfully before with that setting, which is what drives me a little bit crazy.

I have had that issue before tho, and reinstalling the printer (making sure I was using the (IP) one) was normally fixing that color problem. I would like to understand where comes this problem from.

-- hide signature --

Greg

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 9,973

OK re: the profile name.  Seems weird nonetheless.

You dont indicate what version of MacOS/OSX you're using and if you perhaps recently upgraded the OS.

People think that 'removing the driver' or 'reinstalling the driver' is as simple as removing it from the printer list.  It isn't.

If you *really* want to reinstall the driver...........

remove folder  /Library/Printers/EPSON  to trash

discard trash

reboot

re-install the driver (obtained from Epson only)  (using the IP version)

-- hide signature --

Online civility: Before you press 'Post', ask yourself if you'd say that to someone face to face.

Howard Moftich wrote:

OK re: the profile name. Seems weird nonetheless.

You dont indicate what version of MacOS/OSX you're using and if you perhaps recently upgraded the OS.

People think that 'removing the driver' or 'reinstalling the driver' is as simple as removing it from the printer list. It isn't.

If you *really* want to reinstall the driver...........

remove folder /Library/Printers/EPSON to trash

discard trash

reboot

re-install the driver (obtained from Epson only) (using the IP version)

I'm on 10.13.6 (High Sierra) I didn't upgrade recently. I'll follow you instructions and let you know.

Tx

-- hide signature --

Greg

A

Hello Howard,

I got this issue fixed and I leave this comment for whoever would find this post looking for some advices on the same kind of problem.

The colors problem I had was actually coming from a nozzle being clogged.  Nothing to do with drivers or whatever. I performed several head cleaning cycles and now it prints correctly again.

Thank you

Greg

-- hide signature --

Greg

Philip Eihuyar
Philip Eihuyar Contributing Member • Posts: 509
Re: A

pixelplayer wrote:

Hello Howard,

I got this issue fixed and I leave this comment for whoever would find this post looking for some advices on the same kind of problem.

The colors problem I had was actually coming from a nozzle being clogged. Nothing to do with drivers or whatever. I performed several head cleaning cycles and now it prints correctly again.

Thank you

Greg

Hi Greg. I was following this thread and its good to have resolved this issue. It is easy to assume a more complicated cause than the the obvious and therefore not do the step by step troubleshooting of an issue, such as a nozzle check. Regarding clogged nozzles, printout something every few days so ink does not congeal or dry out. Another cause of clogs is microscopic air pockets in the nozzles. Again, printing regularly will help prevent that.

Re: A

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for the feedback. I know and I never let the printer a long without printing and what is surprising me the most is that I was printing quite a lot ultimately, and I printed correctly one photo just before getting this problem.

So the air bubble might be the issue! FYI I am using marrutt inks (so not OEM Epson inks) and the color giving the problem is one I refilled recently so the air bubble seems to be the most probable cause Btw I printed a lot with those marrutt inks the last 2 or 3 years and never had any problem.

Have a nice day!

-- hide signature --

Greg

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads