* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #664 on 2021 01 13 *

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
P3T3S Senior Member • Posts: 1,874
Re: Snow Day

minniev wrote:

It snowed two days ago, the first snow in 3 years which is about our average. It didn't amount to much and was gone soon, but it motivated us to tromp through the woods across from our house. Dog Zeke had never seen snow and went berserk running, leaping and eating it. Must have been channeling his ancestors from Labrador.

Our woods look very similar at the moment. The fall of snow from the beginning of the week is slowly melting and is patchy. It’s waiting for the next lot, as my mother put it.

Again, the series is peaceful, with a limited palette, but instead of Roel’s blues, you have autumnal browns and golds, which give them a certain warmth, even though the overall effect is a cold winter’s day.

The series starts well with a few wider shots, then moves on to the detail.

My favourite is the sad looking leaf with its frozen tears.

Pete

P3T3S's gear list:P3T3S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Re: Totally Fake 10: Coming from the left (diverse)

Fox328 wrote:

I didn't have time to take even a virtual flight this week. So i've looked at some of the pictures i've taken during earlier flights.

As far as i remember i was flighing above Spain. But here you can finally see me (or actually my avatar) sitting in the cockpit!

Another view over Fuji Mountain

A view over Antwerp Harbor before i've downloaded the satellite image.

My favourite is the last one. In the failing light, the plane seems to dive below the black clouds and follow the silvery river through the darkening land, rtowards the sliver of optimistic pink glow on the horizon. Nice one.

Pete

Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Re: Mt Hood Morning

MikePDX wrote:

Taken from roughly the same location as last week's entry. But different mountain, different day, different lighting conditions.

Mt Hood Morning

Another Far Eastern gem from the West coast. The light is gorgeous and Mount Fuji’s American cousin too. The clouds on the left seem to be hinting at a third volcano, too.

Personally, I think it would look better without that band of dark cloud running across the top, and cropped just below is an improvement. There would still be some dark cloud top right, but that is fine, and the two dark wispy clouds half left and far right are great.

Pete

Kumsal Regular Member • Posts: 256
Re: Yachts

The reflections on the water and on the yachts compensate for the large number of masts.

Re: The last piece.

The photo on the box is great.

Respect for your brother-in-law ...

The camera on the table, is it his camera?

Re: Fake Reality

I see three levels: the girl in the foreground, the music notes and the painted picture.

I like the photo with your husband (?) and your dog.

I also find the photos of your surroundings good and interesting.

Very nice photo, indeed.

Re: Totally Fake 10: Coming from the left (diverse)

All pictures look natural and beautiful.

Re: doel

Nice photos showing Doel ...

Small criticism: the blue of the sky is oversaturated to my taste.

I really like the third photo.

This is the crop I meant....

Re: Jaw dropping girl

Kumsal wrote:

You've caught a great moment here, and it is a wonderful street photo.

I read the comments about the balance of the blue bag and orange poster with great interest, and understand and accept them completely, but my initial reaction when first seeing the photo was that they are distractions and to get rid of them, and concentrate on the main theme. I am undecided, but here is my suggested crop.

I regret losing the "Apple Sweet" comment on the bag. Your crop places the subjects more in their environment and allows the viewer to do their own street-lite observation to home in on the theme, whereas mine is less subtle! It's a matter of taste.

In any case a fine photo, no matter how you crop it.

Pete

softmarmotte wrote:

I was in Doel today and thoughtof you Roel

A fascinating series.

#1 shows the street. I loved a couple of quirky details. The road-sign seems to be saying "Deep Blue Sky up here!" and there is a purple sausage-shaped grafitti figure in the shadows on the left, which appears to be resting on a bench after clinging to the wall for days/months/years.

#2 shows the condensation cloud from the cooling tower. It is enormous and eclipses the tiny, presumably natural clouds, below.

#3 shows a kestrel (???  No, the wings are wrong for a kestrel and it looks too big.) finding the only tiny patch clear of man-made objects in the centre of the frame. The rest is made up of cooling towers, cranes, wires and pylons and sealed in with a cloud of condensation for good measure. A telling statement.

Very enjoyable.

Pete

MikePDX
MikePDX Senior Member • Posts: 2,214

minniev wrote:

I especially liked the tree stump with fungi.  Nicely balanced composition that leads my eye through the scene.

No snow here this winter - at my elevation any way.  Can't say that I miss it.

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III
MikePDX
MikePDX Senior Member • Posts: 2,214
Reply: Mt Hood Morning

Thanks for the comments everyone.  I think I agree with Pete about the crop.  This is a single frame, not a stitched pano, so I was trying to maximize the size.  In my defense, I originally thought that I needed to balance the tight line of trees across the bottom with something at the top.  Now that I've looked again, I see that wasn't a good choice.

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III
softmarmotte
softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 2,586

P3T3S wrote:

softmarmotte wrote:

A fascinating series.

#1 shows the street. I loved a couple of quirky details. The road-sign seems to be saying "Deep Blue Sky up here!" and there is a purple sausage-shaped grafitti figure in the shadows on the left, which appears to be resting on a bench after clinging to the wall for days/months/years.

#2 shows the condensation cloud from the cooling tower. It is enormous and eclipses the tiny, presumably natural clouds, below.

#3 shows a kestrel (??? No, the wings are wrong for a kestrel and it looks too big.) finding the only tiny patch clear of man-made objects in the centre of the frame. The rest is made up of cooling towers, cranes, wires and pylons and sealed in with a cloud of condensation for good measure. A telling statement.

Very enjoyable.

Pete

western marsh harrier

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +11 more

P3T3S wrote:

This interested me, because there are a number of layers / questions about what is reality and what is an illusion or fake.

Pete

Untitled (London Bridge) by Kerry James Marshall

I mentioned the layers of fake or reality. It was taken in a gallery, and the lighting makes the real, living, breathing humans look very flat and blend in with the people on the painting. In fact the girl in the blue top is the only real person, and then the fun starts. SHe seems to be part of the painting, so is she a fake part of the painting? Alternatively, the painting blends with her, so does it provide a fake scene for her? The painting is of London Bridge, but actually it is not in London, but has been dismantled and rebuilt stone for stone in Arizona. It was spanning the Thames in London for over a hundred years, so is it the real London Bridge, or is that impossible, because it is now in Arizona? In any case, it was only built in 1831, to replace the famous 600 year old London Bridge of song and legend, so is it a fake and it’s predecessor the real one?

I could be cynical, and say that the sky is never that blue in London, but sometimes it really is. The Thames, I can safely say, has never been that blue, however! Also, despite the Fish & Chips signs and red buses, it is definitely a fake London atmosphere.

Am I reading too much into this? Yes, but it’s fun.

Pete

RoelHendrickx
OP RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,400
Lake Havasu

P3T3S wrote:

P3T3S wrote:

This interested me, because there are a number of layers / questions about what is reality and what is an illusion or fake.

Pete

Untitled (London Bridge) by Kerry James Marshall

I mentioned the layers of fake or reality. It was taken in a gallery, and the lighting makes the real, living, breathing humans look very flat and blend in with the people on the painting. In fact the girl in the blue top is the only real person, and then the fun starts. SHe seems to be part of the painting, so is she a fake part of the painting? Alternatively, the painting blends with her, so does it provide a fake scene for her? The painting is of London Bridge, but actually it is not in London, but has been dismantled and rebuilt stone for stone in Arizona. It was spanning the Thames in London for over a hundred years, so is it the real London Bridge, or is that impossible, because it is now in Arizona? In any case, it was only built in 1831, to replace the famous 600 year old London Bridge of song and legend, so is it a fake and it’s predecessor the real one?

I could be cynical, and say that the sky is never that blue in London, but sometimes it really is. The Thames, I can safely say, has never been that blue, however! Also, despite the Fish & Chips signs and red buses, it is definitely a fake London atmosphere.

Am I reading too much into this? Yes, but it’s fun.

Pete

I've been mostly absent for a few days, so I return to this thread finding you having already replied.

I was intrigued by the shot when I first saw it, but I could not put my finger on the reason why that scene looked familiar.

And now I know, because indeed this is London Bridge, as it is reconstructed to span a part of Lake Havasu (and with a fake "Ye Olde English" village next to it).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Bridge_(Lake_Havasu_City)

We visited that spot in 2012 on our SW USA travels. My wife had picked up a mention of this crazy story in one of our travel guide books and we decided to look into it on the car trip from one of our destinations to the next.

Pretty soon we understood that we must have been on the right road to this lake, because we saw big SUVs on the road, pulling trailers with very large pleasure yachts and other motorboats. A crazy sight to come across in the middle of the Arizonian deserts.

This makes your image, of course, very META-fake.  Because it is a fake representation of a scene that is itself already very fake.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

RoelHendrickx

P3T3S wrote:

minniev wrote:

It snowed two days ago, the first snow in 3 years which is about our average. It didn't amount to much and was gone soon, but it motivated us to tromp through the woods across from our house. Dog Zeke had never seen snow and went berserk running, leaping and eating it. Must have been channeling his ancestors from Labrador.

Our woods look very similar at the moment. The fall of snow from the beginning of the week is slowly melting and is patchy. It’s waiting for the next lot, as my mother put it.

Again, the series is peaceful, with a limited palette, but instead of Roel’s blues, you have autumnal browns and golds, which give them a certain warmth, even though the overall effect is a cold winter’s day.

The series starts well with a few wider shots, then moves on to the detail.

My favourite is the sad looking leaf with its frozen tears.

Pete

Agree with Pete, except for another favourite: my favourite is shot number 5, with its melancholy scene of a marsh where the water stays fluid but the ground is cold enough to keep the snow white, at least for a while.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

RoelHendrickx
Thanks - some comments and images from my own last visit

softmarmotte wrote:

I know Doel quite well but it has been a while since I last was there.

Last time was in November 2018, when I took the Waterbus (river ferry services) from Antwerp City Centre to Kallo, and encountered two italians with rented bicycles who had heard of Doel and wanted to get there.  I guided them with my own bike through the harbour (from Kallo it is still a pretty long bike ride).

https://roelh.zenfolio.com/p519304231

The town is much like a ghost town, abandoned by most of its inhabitants because of the unstoppable expansion of the harbour. A paradise for graffiti-lovers and as such a destination in its own right.

I like you second shot most, with that almost perfectly horizontal plume of cloud escaping from the cooling towers of Doel Nuclear Plant. I just wish that the cooling tower had had just a tiny bit more empty space on its left hand side. Now it feels a bit cramped against the frame edge.

That bird (a heron?) is a nice catch - the stuff for metaphors.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads