* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #664 on 2021 01 13 *

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,370
* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #664 on 2021 01 13 *

Welcome to the Wednesday Comments and Critique (No Theme) thread!

We are continuing the great tradition of this C&C thread because we are convinced that looking at and talking about images is vital for better photography.

The idea is simple: you post an image and get critique on it, and in return give other people your opinion of their images, or vice versa.

Please post your image (or essay) in a reply to this very first message in the thread, and not in a reply to someone else's message. This keeps the thread tidy, with a sequence of images and then the comments on those images right under them. Threaded view of the thread is recommended to see what we mean.

Generally, you should post only ONE SINGLE IMAGE for C&C.

TWO EXCEPTIONS and a VARIATION:

1. You may post two pictures resulting from one shutter release but with different treatment (for example a color and a black & white version, or a different crop) for us to choose from and comment on. You may also post in a single post, two images that are closely related in subject or style.
  2. The thread is also open for the contribution of a Photo Essay of three or more images that should be viewed as a whole and that tell a specific story.
  3. If you want to submit to C&C more than one image (while they do not form an essay or are not closely related), please submit the different images each in their own separate sub thread. This new rule has been created in order to have a greater variety of images in “slow” weeks with few participants. In a “busy” week, please limit yourself to a single submission (image or essay) in order to give as many participants as possible a change to participate.

TWO RULES:

1. If you post an image, you should critique at least one other image. If you post more than one image, please make an effort to post comments on at least a few images of other members.
  2. Keep your comments honest but polite. If you don’t care for an image try to explain why. This is neither a “Good shot!” nor an image-bashing thread.

Any style, any camera.

Feedback is guaranteed (-for up to 48 h after the thread has started)! Though keep in mind that the thread tends to be busiest during the first 24 hours or so, so later image posts may get little feedback.

HOW TO PLAY:

Single Images

1. Change the title so we can sort different images out easily!
  2. Remember to add the EXIF if your image doesn't embed it as this may help
  3. Consider telling us what your own opinion on your image is. What prompted you to click that shutter button? What did you see? Why do you like the result? You don't have to explain, but it might be interesting.
  4. You are very welcome to post a group reply to the feedback you have received. This could include a new version of your image modified in response to the comments.

Photo Essays

The idea is that the posted images should be related and together try to tell a story about a place, an event, a travel you made, a (group of) person(s), a hobby or whatever is fit for an essay.

1. Suggested number of images : minimum 3 and maximum 12 but numbers may vary.
  2. It is allowed (and encouraged) to include some verbal narrative IF you think that helps explain the essay, but text is not required. You can choose to let the images speak for themselves.
  3. Individual technical data of the separate photos is not required, but you can of course give information that you deem relevant.
  4. If you post a series, you commit yourself to critique at least one other series (if there are any; if not critique at least one image...). To make a distinction with the C&C of single images, we feel that comments should not focus on individual images, but on the series as a series. This can cover multiple angles :
  • do you think the series tells the story well?
  • how about the sequence and pace : would you sequence the images differently, and if so, why?
  • is there enough consistency in cropping, angles, PP treatment : does it really feel like a series or is it just a collection of shots?
  • do you think one image is a real highlight, or are there one or more images that would better be removed to prune the essay to a leaner and meaner series?
  • do you think a certain angle of the place/event/... is sorely missing from the story?
  • et cetera

IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME, WELCOME! AND BE SURE TO READ THIS:

• The critique you give is vital. What was your first impression? What catches your eye about an image? Why? What do you like, and what distracts you? What would you change?
  • Fiddle with the image in your head - composition, perspective, color balance, exposure.
  • It is understood that unless the original poster specifically states that they do not want an altered image posted that you are free to alter the posted image and repost it in a reply for C&C purposes (no use for other purposes!). That reposted image may remain permanently or you may remove it after a short period of time if you prefer. No copyright disputes here!
  • More general feedback is also welcome. Do you know something about taking the same sort of image that would make matters easier - share your own as an example in your reply. Encourage - it is a scary business putting your work up for other people to judge!
  • Finally what is the verdict? Waste-bin? Snapshot? Could be better? Family Album? Frame on wall? Poster-size frame on wall? Billboard? Reuters? World Press Photo? National Geographic? Museum? (pick your own superlative here)

One of the first replies is “The Related Post”. This is the place to post your general musings about the C&C Thread.

In another of the first replies, the “Archives”, you can find the links (and cumulative links) to ALL our previous editions. Enjoy the time-travel!

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

RoelHendrickx
OP RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,370
*The RELATED Post - Placeholder*

This is a placeholder for conversations on anything related to these C&C threads.

Post your general comments as a reply to THIS post.

Specifically : the place to make arrangements and share ideas for keeping this thread alive and kicking. It is our own PSA system.

But also :

- discussion of our concept of aspects of it broader than a specific image,

- service announcements by the thread starter or anyone else;

- interesting links to other similar initiatives;

- links to something you really want to share with this particular group of people.

- frankly, anything that could be of interest to our group here.

Please post all of that as a reply to this post.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

RoelHendrickx
Yachts

A snap from last weekend's walk on the Left Bank in Antwerp, passing the yachts harbour:

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,148
The last piece.

My brother in law is a jigsaw puzzle tragic. The more difficult the puzzle, the better the likes it. One of my photos promised to be challenging as a jigsaw so I had a copy made as a 1000 piece puzzle for him for Christmas.

It took him nearly three days. He invited me to witness the final piece.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
P3T3S Senior Member • Posts: 1,851
Fake Reality

This interested me, because there are a number of layers / questions about what is reality and what is an illusion or fake.

Pete

Untitled (London Bridge) by Kerry James Marshall

P3T3S's gear list:P3T3S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
minniev Veteran Member • Posts: 3,738
Snow Day

It snowed two days ago, the first snow in 3 years which is about our average. It didn't amount to much and was gone soon, but it motivated us to tromp through the woods across from our house. Dog Zeke had never seen snow and went berserk running, leaping and eating it. Must have been channeling his ancestors from Labrador.

Fox328 Senior Member • Posts: 1,586
Totally Fake 10: Coming from the left (diverse)

I didn't have time to take even a virtual flight this week. So i've looked at some of the pictures i've taken during earlier flights.

As far as i remember i was flighing above Spain. But here you can finally see me (or actually my avatar) sitting in the cockpit!

Another view over Fuji Mountain

A view over Antwerp Harbor before i've downloaded the satellite image.

Fox328's gear list:Fox328's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +7 more
MikePDX
MikePDX Senior Member • Posts: 2,203
Mt Hood Morning

Taken from roughly the same location as last week's entry. But different mountain, different day, different lighting conditions.

Mt Hood Morning

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III
Kumsal Regular Member • Posts: 255
Jaw dropping girl

softmarmotte
softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 2,382
doel

I was in Doel today and thoughtof you Roel

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +10 more
RoelHendrickx
Re: Jaw dropping girl

Kumsal wrote:

You caught a superb moment here.  And you caught it superbly.

Obviously the human interest is the main feature of this photo :

* the girl strutting with a supremely confident pose and attitude (it is nice that she has no visible face for the viewer of the photo: everyone can project his/her own idealized image)

* the guy interrupting his sugar cane juicing operation to gaze and dream.

But there are so many details and compositional goodies here, that elevate the image from a casual snap to the level of great street photography (and contrary to the trend, it is good that you have kept colour for this photograph instead of the artsy B&W that is often used for street photography).

Red is dominant here: it immediately draws our attention as it does the guy's.

Surrounding that red exclamation mark, is an ocean of grey on the wall, with nicely balancing accents of colour towards the edges : the orange of the beer poster versus the blue of the bag on the bike''s handlebar.  ("Apple Sweet" it says, that bag, and that is probably also what the guy is thinking.)

That blue and orange fill empty spaces and provide even more balance to a composition that was already very good to begin with.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

RoelHendrickx
Re: The last piece.

Mike Fewster wrote:

My brother in law is a jigsaw puzzle tragic. The more difficult the puzzle, the better the likes it. One of my photos promised to be challenging as a jigsaw so I had a copy made as a 1000 piece puzzle for him for Christmas.

It's interesting to see a well-known image in another incarnation.

That photo of the Gorge is - IIRC - one that you have shared here for our comments, but of course I cannot put my finger on the exact week in which you did that.  Maybe you can?  It would be great to include a link to our discussion, to add a dimension here.

It's a beautiful photo full of bewildering angles and shapes and with a magnificent reflection that does justice to the incredible richness of colour variations in the rocks.

A challenging subject for a puzzle, but one in which an organized mind can clearly and efficiently organize the puzzle-building challenge.  Your brother in law obviously enjoys his puzzling, and I am sure that he loved this present of yours (BTW: supremely marketable, IMHO).

The photo is candid, and shows the surroundings of the man in concentration.  I would be tempted to see how it works if we crop this a bit from the top and from the left side, in order to get rid of : the bright window that competes for attention with the man and his puzzle and the little whatever-it-is just above his right shoulder.  Cropping away the window will cut through the forehead, obviously, but I don't think that this would be a real problem : we will still see some of the forehead and the eyes etc.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Re: Yachts

RoelHendrickx wrote:

A snap from last weekend's walk on the Left Bank in Antwerp, passing the yachts harbour:

A beautiful day where only the trees in the back reveil that it's winter. It's always nice to see the rimpling reflection in the water. Although there's nothing wrong with this picture i think a stronger diagonal line would have created more tension. I like the blue and white colors of the image. It's a pitty the building and the red dot in front of it disrupts this uniform coloring.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +7 more
Re: The last piece.

Mike Fewster wrote:

This must have been a difficult puzzle. I agree with Roel that the window in the back forms a distraction. I would not crop it out but make it a bit darker.

Re: Yachts

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Masts and rigging and reflections are a win win win combination for photographers. What makes this shot a little from the ordinary is the row of leafless trees and branches above the yachts. The bare bones of natures rigging. Here, we feel them both waiting their moment to break out their summer sails. It's a clever combination.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Re: Fake Reality

P3T3S wrote:

This interested me, because there are a number of layers / questions about what is reality and what is an illusion or fake.

Pete

I think I know where one of the layer boundaries is. After that I am uncertain. Pete has told us that there are a number of layers but I am only sure of one.

The palm trees, USA flags, hills and balloons etc suggest that London has been transplanted. The billboard and Queen Victoria are possibly hinting at a message about post colonialism. The Asian featuresof the girl may be part of that statement. But apart from that?

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Re: Snow Day

minniev wrote:

It snowed two days ago, the first snow in 3 years which is about our average. It didn't amount to much and was gone soon, but it motivated us to tromp through the woods across from our house. Dog Zeke had never seen snow and went berserk running, leaping and eating it. Must have been channeling his ancestors from Labrador.

Knowing more or less where you lived, I'm amazed. Clearly my geography has gaps, I didn't think snow fell so far south, certainly not every few years.

I feel cold looking at these. Probably because the only colours are brown tones. None of the red jackets and blue skies that we usually get with snow shots. This isn't the snow of snow field sports either. This stuff is untidy and speckled and it's wet as well. Neither is it dramatic as snow scenes often are.

As you said, a winter day, not a playground.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Re: Totally Fake 10: Coming from the left (diverse)

Fox328 wrote:

I didn't have time to take even a virtual flight this week. So i've looked at some of the pictures i've taken during earlier flights.

As far as i remember i was flighing above Spain. But here you can finally see me (or actually my avatar) sitting in the cockpit!

Another view over Fuji Mountain

A view over Antwerp Harbor before i've downloaded the satellite image.

Once again, the realism is extraordinary. We feel as though we are in another plane and flying a little too close to the subject. I note the consistent identification numbers revealing that this is a well travelled plane indeed.  The calm manner of our pilot inspires confidence to roll along with him on future flights.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Re: Fake Reality

P3T3S wrote:

Pete

It's really nice to see how the picture and reality integrate together in a colorful happening where all kinds of people come together at London Bridge. Although I see different layers of gathering i see only two layers deviding the artwork from reality by the diagonal line from right to left under. You've captured the girl in front at the right time and she fits even more because she's walking the other way. A great catch!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads