What will happen to your photos after you pass?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Mike B USA Forum Member • Posts: 82
What will happen to your photos after you pass?

Let's hope it's a long, long time from now.

What do you think will happen to your photos after you pass away?  What do you want to happen to them?

Are you taking any action now to narrow any suspected gap between what will happen and what you want to happen?

DenverSteve Contributing Member • Posts: 563
Re: What will happen to your photos after you pass?

Mike B USA wrote:

What do you think will happen to your photos after you pass away? What do you want to happen to them?

Let's see............. I couldn't care less. That decision will be left to my daughter. Probably the same as my old underwear. Thrown out.  You asked the question - but you never answered.

-- hide signature --

It's just my educated opinion. Don't get bent out of shape.
Steve

DenverSteve's gear list:DenverSteve's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV +8 more
Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 3,670

I have no idea, and I haven't thought about it.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
lost alaskan
lost alaskan Senior Member • Posts: 1,664

I have few relatives.  I asked my brother about my discs ect.  He said he will have a bon fire in the backyard.

lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 18,387

Same as they are now. They'll sit on my server and no one will look at them.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,917

(really sad responses so far, considering that this is our passion!)

Mike B USA wrote:

What do you think will happen to your photos after you pass away?

They will live on in Facebook and Flickr. My grandpa has been dead for years, but he is still suggested as a friend to me on Facebook.

What do you want to happen to them?

I want people to say: "DAMN, that Jeremy had a good instinct as to when to trip the shutter!"

Are you taking any action now to narrow any suspected gap between what will happen and what you want to happen?

Yes, I signed up for HP Instant Ink and I'm printing more. Someone will physicallyhave to throw out my photos to lose them, not just trash my computer and external HDD.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
-Eric Hoffer
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily DPR's

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +28 more
nicodimus22
nicodimus22 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,312

The ones that I've sold will be hanging in various places, for a while at least.

The ones on my website/store will go bye bye once the services are cancelled. The ones on my hard drive will be erased when someone decides to repurpose the drive.

None of this bothers me. I do this because it's fun for me while I'm here.

nicodimus22's gear list:nicodimus22's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +12 more
Papa48
Papa48 Senior Member • Posts: 2,892

My daughter and wife will put some of them out at my memorial service. Those I posted to photo sharing sites will be sporadically viewed, then drift into oblivion. My drives will eventually be re-purposed or buried in a landfill. Some will be remembered in brain cells of family and close friends, then...poof.

Papa48's gear list:Papa48's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 18,042

I print a photo album every year they will last for 100 years my daughter will look at them. same goes for all the videos, they are all edited and saved in easy yearly files. The 10,000 dance photos sold will live on forever through the thousands of dancers i have taken.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM1mk2, Sony A7r2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1 em5mk2

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,672

We have no descendant.

If I shall leave before my wife, our photos (major events) of last 20~30+ years had been encoded into videos on an USB external hard drive, would likely be playback by her without difficulty.

I doubt whether she would still be strong enough to pick up those heavy photo albums of the much earlier film photo that I have no time to digitalise them.

If my wife will leave later, I suppose all would be ended up in the landfill.

As long as we can enjoy the lovely memory, I won't care what they would have to face when we need them no more.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
kodakrome
kodakrome Contributing Member • Posts: 852
Hmmm...

The photographer cares about his or her photos, but they don't mean much to other people.

I'm more concerned about what will happen to my lenses. I love my family, but I just know they're gonna abuse my glass.

foot Veteran Member • Posts: 4,252

Leonard Migliore wrote:

Same as they are now. They'll sit on my server and no one will look at them.

people don't want all the photos, just a carefully curated set of a few images with family history, sentimental memories, and of course cat photos/videos

too bad nobody has the time or interest in curating our own collections....

it's more like: "here, there's 20,000 images! You can pick the ones you like!" as people slowly shuffle toward the door...I can't be alone in this, can I?

foot's gear list:foot's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro
WiltshireMoonraker59
WiltshireMoonraker59 Forum Member • Posts: 61

Well to be honest, sadly I think that the generations of today do not treasure photos of the past or of family but I have thought of this and I am getting a photo book made up once a month and adding all my favourite photos. When I die then they will be there for any of my family to see if they desire but whether or not that is of any importance I don't really think so

WiltshireMoonraker59's gear list:WiltshireMoonraker59's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Pentax K-7 Olympus E-M1 II +3 more
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 18,453

Mike B USA wrote:

Let's hope it's a long, long time from now.

What do you think will happen to your photos after you pass away?

My mother has boxes of old photos going back, in a few cases, to the 1850s. They also hold the few surviving prints from my first ventures into photography in the 1950s. When she dies I'm sure they'll be taken over by one of her descendants (but not by me, as it happens).

Between us one of my brothers, my sister and I have scanned a couple of thousand of them, so a lot are now preserved in digital form in several places (for example, the PBase galleries in my signature).

The same applies to a proportion of my own digital photos and scans of my old film photos.

My wife has her own collection of traditional albums, which include the prints she wants of the photos I've taken.

What do you want to happen to them?

Frankly, I don't really care. It is of interest to me and other members of my family to look back at old photos; and I expect that that will continue (to some degree, at least). So if taking my back-up drive with every photo I've kept on it provides that sort of interest for my descendants that's fine - but it's their business, not mine.

No and yes. No, because I'm not taking specific action to control what other people do with my photos in future. Yes, because I take care to maintain multiple copies of all my photos. This is primarily for my own sake (I don't want to lose them) but it means that if my descendants do choose to keep them it's easy for them to do so.

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,563

We have a NAS. Our kids have access to it. I think read permission and upload but not delete.  They are and will be free to download and save whatever they want wherever they want to store it while we’re alive. We can leave them the admin password in our will and they can make decisions from there.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +3 more
OP Mike B USA Forum Member • Posts: 82

WiltshireMoonraker59 wrote:

Well to be honest, sadly I think that the generations of today do not treasure photos of the past or of family but I have thought of this and I am getting a photo book made up once a month and adding all my favourite photos. When I die then they will be there for any of my family to see if they desire but whether or not that is of any importance I don't really think so

When I was young, I expressed almost no interest in my family history.  I'm over 60 now and my interest has steadily increased as I gradually lost my older relatives.  My kids express little interest now, but that may change as they grow older.

NormSchultze Regular Member • Posts: 383

My railroad pix will be donated to the respective Technical Societies.  They may, or may not, find them useful.

I'm more concerned about having my cats live well and happy lives.

Jim Cassatt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,932

I make phonebooks of my favorites, vacations, etc, realizing that no one is going th go through 5 terabytes of pictures.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,917
A humble suggestion

To those who replied (they will slowly disappear)

Why not print some of the most important moments, and write relevant information on the back of the prints? Year, who's in the photo, where it was, what the occasion was?

This is our life's contribution to the art; I'm surprised and disappointed to see such apathy about it here...

What I've started doing is to start a collection of small archival photo albums and filling them with family 4x6s. The ones I REALLY love, I print 8x10 and put them in an archival binder. Another archival binder holds the negatives from my film shots.

We, as the family photographers should be the willing custodians of our familys' photographic legacy. Just my opinion.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
-Eric Hoffer
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily DPR's

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +28 more
nicodimus22
nicodimus22 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,312
Re: A humble suggestion

Smaug01 wrote:

To those who replied (they will slowly disappear)

Why not print some of the most important moments, and write relevant information on the back of the prints? Year, who's in the photo, where it was, what the occasion was?

This is our life's contribution to the art; I'm surprised and disappointed to see such apathy about it here...

What I've started doing is to start a collection of small archival photo albums and filling them with family 4x6s. The ones I REALLY love, I print 8x10 and put them in an archival binder. Another archival binder holds the negatives from my film shots.

We, as the family photographers should be the willing custodians of our familys' photographic legacy. Just my opinion.

Not everyone takes photos of their family, or people in general. None of my work has humans in it. I leave that to the (many) cell phone people.

nicodimus22's gear list:nicodimus22's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads