Is Adobe CC better than CS6?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Toermalijn
Toermalijn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,632
Re: Depends on your needs.

kilofox wrote:

I would think that Selecting and Masking Hair is much easier with better results with CC. The emphasis is on easier.

not necessarily if you use plug-ins in CS6. Some plug-ins are way better then Photoshop's tools. In this case basic cs6 is as good as CC with added plug-ins mostly better.

Ho72
Ho72 Senior Member • Posts: 2,291
Re: Is Adobe CC better than CS6?

Better is subjective. There have been changes but none that have made me think I need to jump the CS6 ship. As long as Windows maintains its backward compatibility I see no need to pay Adobe any more money than they've already collected from me.

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 22,291

Toermalijn wrote:

kilofox wrote:

I would think that Selecting and Masking Hair is much easier with better results with CC. The emphasis is on easier.

not necessarily if you use plug-ins in CS6. Some plug-ins are way better then Photoshop's tools. In this case basic cs6 is as good as CC with added plug-ins mostly better.

Depending on the OS you use. When Mac went Catalina 32 bit apps became unusable. People hang on to older versions but eventually they will have to move on. Many older  apps are available in 64 bit but sometimes some good old favourites disappear.

-- hide signature --

A wonderful conclusion. 6

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
kilofox Contributing Member • Posts: 833

Toermalijn wrote:

kilofox wrote:

Have you tried selecting and masking in PS CC to compare? If not, you should.

kilofox's gear list:kilofox's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a7C GoPro Hero7 Black Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +7 more
JJMacks
JJMacks Forum Pro • Posts: 10,586
Adobe CC is a rockey road.

CC is are Rockey Road, CS6 was a disaster when it was first released. I could not use it for the first 5 months, Then Adobe released the first update for CS6 which fixed 506 core issues in CS6. CS6 was stable and most things worked. There were two more updates for CS6 and a couple of related Dynamic link media server updates. CS6 is now a very stable and reliable version of Photoshop.

Photoshop is more than an Image Editor. It is a professional development tool. When it comes to Image editing CC has some new features and improved features, Improvements in Content-Aware features work quit and make life easier. ACR is greatly improved. Selection tools work better. However, there have been a great number of bugs released and Adobe has impacted users' workflows by changing Photoshop behavior more than once. Now in Photoshop 2021 version 22 Adobe has changed the Line tool users can no longer draw lines like they were able to do in the past. To draw lines with arrowheads that point to a particular spot is very difficult t do. I do not have a problem with this because I have 8 versions of Photoshop Installed on my machine I can do what I need to do. I have been using Photoshop for over 20 years. I paid for many updates so the $10 monthly Photo plan is a bargain for me. I do not even install LR and hardly ever use the bridge. I know with every new release of Photoshop there will be Major bugs. I have 7 versions of Photoshop installed now that work well. Adobe has released two updates for Photoshop 2021 perhaps someday they will address the major problems in Photoshop 2021.

Adobe added a Frames tool that was not needed and it has issues.  Adobe Added a triangle  tool that is not needed, Adobe development is not what it should be and Adobe Program support is not what it should be IMO

JJMack

JJMacks's gear list:JJMacks's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Richard Frederick
Richard Frederick Senior Member • Posts: 1,044
Request for Photoshop Help

JJMacks wrote:

CC is are Rockey Road, CS6 was a disaster when it was first released. I could not use it for the first 5 months, Then Adobe released the first update for CS6 which fixed 506 core issues in CS6. CS6 was stable and most things worked. There were two more updates for CS6 and a couple of related Dynamic link media server updates. CS6 is now a very stable and reliable version of Photoshop.

Photoshop is more than an Image Editor. It is a professional development tool. When it comes to Image editing CC has some new features and improved features, Improvements in Content-Aware features work quit and make life easier. ACR is greatly improved. Selection tools work better. However, there have been a great number of bugs released and Adobe has impacted users' workflows by changing Photoshop behavior more than once. Now in Photoshop 2021 version 22 Adobe has changed the Line tool users can no longer draw lines like they were able to do in the past. To draw lines with arrowheads that point to a particular spot is very difficult t do. I do not have a problem with this because I have 8 versions of Photoshop Installed on my machine I can do what I need to do. I have been using Photoshop for over 20 years. I paid for many updates so the $10 monthly Photo plan is a bargain for me. I do not even install LR and hardly ever use the bridge. I know with every new release of Photoshop there will be Major bugs. I have 7 versions of Photoshop installed now that work well. Adobe has released two updates for Photoshop 2021 perhaps someday they will address the major problems in Photoshop 2021.

Adobe added a Frames tool that was not needed and it has issues. Adobe Added a triangle tool that is not needed, Adobe development is not what it should be and Adobe Program support is not what it should be IMO

JJMack

IJMack has touched on a PS issue that baffles me, and it is embarrassing.  I am trying to draw a simple, straight line without arrows and with "Shape" defined.  Oh, I can draw the line OK, but I am left with handles on each end.  if I select most other tools, like the Move tool, the line then disappears.  If I Rasterize the layer, the line disappears and I thought that defining the line as a shape automatically created a raster layer.  If, with the line with handles is created, I select the Type tool, I get a new layer and when I return to the line layer, there the line is, without handles and "permanent."  I don't want to use that "workaround" whenever I want to draw a line.

Can anyone provide me with some guidance?

-- hide signature --

Dick Frederick

Richard Frederick's gear list:Richard Frederick's gear list
Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800E Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-Pro2 +2 more
Royi Avital Contributing Member • Posts: 638

Graham Meale wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Graham Meale wrote:

I'm with CS6 and have no intention to move to the cloud. Photoshop had fully matured by the advent of CS6, and most of the "extras" that have been introduced since are — in my opinion — gimmicks.

I sharpen in Photoshop, but not with Unsharp Mask — there are better ways.

High Pass sharpening?

Indeed.

There is nothing superior in High Pass Sharpening to Unsharp Mask. Actually both are the same, Inverting Gaussian Blur and adding it back to the image.

Actually USM has non linear step (Threshold).

Both are classic old methods. There much better modern methods for sharpening these days.

-- hide signature --
 Royi Avital's gear list:Royi Avital's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +3 more
Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,332

Royi Avital wrote:

Graham Meale wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Graham Meale wrote:

I'm with CS6 and have no intention to move to the cloud. Photoshop had fully matured by the advent of CS6, and most of the "extras" that have been introduced since are — in my opinion — gimmicks.

High Pass sharpening?

Indeed.

There is nothing superior in High Pass Sharpening to Unsharp Mask.

It works a lot better for me.

Actually both are the same, Inverting Gaussian Blur and adding it back to the image.

Both are classic old methods. There much better modern methods for sharpening these days.

Do enlighten me. I wait with bated breath.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 7,538

Graham Meale wrote:

Royi Avital wrote:

Graham Meale wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Graham Meale wrote:

High Pass sharpening?

Indeed.

There is nothing superior in High Pass Sharpening to Unsharp Mask.

It works a lot better for me.

Actually both are the same, Inverting Gaussian Blur and adding it back to the image.

Do enlighten me. I wait with bated breath.

Adding Texture in Lr/ACR is one, but I want to hear the better methods too.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
The first digital image was made in the late '60's for NASA, as a way to record images of Mars. Each "square" was represented by three numbers, corresponding to the red, green, and blue hue on a scale of 0 to 255. This eliminated the need to ship film back to Earth.

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Toermalijn
Toermalijn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,632

kilofox wrote:

Toermalijn wrote:

kilofox wrote:

Have you tried selecting and masking in PS CC to compare? If not, you should.

I have 3rd party plug-ins like Topaz labs and Fluid mask.

Linear spatially invariant classic methods have 2 main issues:

• They completely ignore the edges hence creates artifacts when working near edges.
  • They work in a single scale hence any detail gets the same treatment.

What you should be after is an algorithm which both use Edge Preserving kernel and have multi scale approach.

Any search engine (Bing, DuckDuckGo, Google) will easily find for you such plug in's for Photoshop.

Once you try you'd see the difference with no Halo artifacts and having control over the amplification of different scales of details.

-- hide signature --
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +3 more
Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,332

Thank you for your response. I googled some of what you wrote and ended up with a handful of scholarly papers that made my head spin, but no Photoshop plugins.

But I haven't lost any sleep, because, as I said, I'm 100% happy with the "classic old" method I use.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Roy Sletcher
Roy Sletcher Senior Member • Posts: 1,338

Royi Avital wrote:

Linear spatially invariant classic methods have 2 main issues:

• They completely ignore the edges hence creates artifacts when working near edges.
  • They work in a single scale hence any detail gets the same treatment.

What you should be after is an algorithm which both use Edge Preserving kernel and have multi scale approach.

Any search engine (Bing, DuckDuckGo, Google) will easily find for you such plug in's for Photoshop.

Hmm! I don't think the word "easily" applies. My search produced a confusing array of possibilities none of which stood out as a verified easy solution. In fact, I felt the need for further detailed complex research.

YMMV

Once you try you'd see the difference with no Halo artifacts and having control over the amplification of different scales of details.

JJMacks
JJMacks Forum Pro • Posts: 10,586
Re: Adobe CC is a rockey road.

Simply use Photoshop 2020 version 21.2.4 till Adobe address the issues in Photoshop 2021. By this time Adobe should realize they need to fix the line tools so it functions well again. And fix other issues they introduced in Photoshop 2021. Adobe ahs updater Photoshop 2021 version 22.0 twice 22.1 and 22.1.1. Adobe also published a list of known issues in Photoshop 2021. Users should use Photoshop 2020

-- hide signature --

JJMack

JJMacks's gear list:JJMacks's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 2,111
Re: Request for Photoshop Help

Richard Frederick wrote:

IJMack has touched on a PS issue that baffles me, and it is embarrassing. I am trying to draw a simple, straight line without arrows and with "Shape" defined. Oh, I can draw the line OK, but I am left with handles on each end.

After you draw the line, I have to press enter to "accept" the line. Or draw another line.

And if you click on the gear icon at the top, it is simple to add arrowheads.

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3

Hi,

Have you Googled "multi scale edge preserving sharpening photoshop plug in"?
I get Photoshop Plug In's in the first results.

You will also see papers on those subjects. Because in the last 15 years it was a hot subject.
ACR / Lightroom use such operators in their Shadows / Highlights sliders. But they use a method which is inferior to the Global Methods in the more advanced papers (Though faster).

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads