Is Adobe CC better than CS6?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Thurnau Contributing Member • Posts: 533
Is Adobe CC better than CS6?

As a long time owner of a CS6 license and disgruntled by the monthly note of the Creative Cloud (managing a login, keeping payment info up to date, and relying on an internet connection?) Is the creative cloud's photoshop any better than CS6? Has sharpening improved?

I bought NIK Sharpening software a long time ago, it's far better than Adobe's filters, but I'm wanting something better. I'm also not loving the popup window NIK does when I open photoshop.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Patsy Murphy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,079
Re: Is Adobe CC better than CS6?

Short answer No. CS6 will do anything CC can do. The only people who will tell you different " The Disciples "

Regards Patsym

dj_paige
dj_paige Senior Member • Posts: 2,407

Thurnau wrote:

Is the creative cloud's photoshop any better than CS6?

There are plenty of new features in the current Photoshop, compared to CS6. I have no idea where a complete list would be found, and I certainly can't create anything close to a complete list.

Has sharpening improved?

I do not know if sharpening has changed over that time.

managing a login, keeping payment info up to date, and relying on an internet connection?

You have a number of misconceptions about using Photoshop via the Creative Cloud.

1. You log in once. Then the next day (and the day after that ... and the day after that ... ) you don't have to log in
  2. Adobe will inform you when you need to update your credit card information (because your card will expire) via e-mail, how hard is that?
  3. You do not have to have an internet connection to use Photoshop 2021, except once every 30 days or so which allows the software to verify you have paid your subscription.
-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

dj_paige's gear list:dj_paige's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +1 more
dj_paige
dj_paige Senior Member • Posts: 2,407

Patsy Murphy wrote:

Short answer No. CS6 will do anything CC can do. The only people who will tell you different " The Disciples "

Regards Patsym

You are saying there are no new features since CS6? What about these: https://photoeditingcenter.com/blog/whats-new-features-in-adobe-photoshop-2021/

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

dj_paige's gear list:dj_paige's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +1 more
OP Thurnau Contributing Member • Posts: 533

Patsy Murphy wrote:

Regards Patsym

That's what I thought. If sharpening was a huge improvement, or it made my work better in any substantial way, I'd consider moving over to CC. Embarrassingly I'm not that good at sharpening. I think I'd have it perfect, then I see how bad it looks later.

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 22,283

dj_paige wrote:

Patsy Murphy wrote:

Regards Patsym

You are saying there are no new features since CS6? What about these: https://photoeditingcenter.com/blog/whats-new-features-in-adobe-photoshop-2021/

Hardly any alternate developer disciples around here.

-- hide signature --

A wonderful conclusion. 11

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more

dj_paige wrote:

Thurnau wrote:

Is the creative cloud's photoshop any better than CS6?

There are plenty of new features in the current Photoshop, compared to CS6. I have no idea where a complete list would be found, and I certainly can't create anything close to a complete list.

Has sharpening improved?

I do not know if sharpening has changed over that time.

managing a login, keeping payment info up to date, and relying on an internet connection?

You have a number of misconceptions about using Photoshop via the Creative Cloud.

1. You log in once. Then the next day (and the day after that ... and the day after that ... ) you don't have to log in
  2. Adobe will inform you when you need to update your credit card information (because your card will expire) via e-mail, how hard is that?
  3. You do not have to have an internet connection to use Photoshop 2021, except once every 30 days or so which allows the software to verify you have paid your subscription.

Or you can pay annually and go 100 days without an internet connection.

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

-- hide signature --

A wonderful conclusion. 11

Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
Phil Shaw Regular Member • Posts: 435

If you are just interested in sharpening nothing has really changed.  Go get the (now) free version of Photokit Sharpener.  However, if you ever make a selection (sharpen only this bit),  you need to upgrade in my opinion.  Then get a sharpening programme like Topaz AI sharpen.

Patsy Murphy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,079

dj_paige wrote:

Patsy Murphy wrote:

Regards Patsym

Never mentioned anything about what you regard as new features, do you actually use Photoshop ?. New features /Update's are supposed to improve programme's unfortunately for me and many others it has not done so regards Photoshop. Of course if you regard " Bell's and Whistles " as new features, well then your easily pleased.

Regards Patsym

irv00 Senior Member • Posts: 1,793

Thurnau wrote:

As a long time owner of a CS6 license and disgruntled by the monthly note of the Creative Cloud (managing a login, keeping payment info up to date, and relying on an internet connection?) Is the creative cloud's photoshop any better than CS6? Has sharpening improved?

Read this and decide for yourself.

Ultimate Photoshop Comparison: New Updates in CC 2020 Compared to Versions of Past Decade (phlearn.com)

There are vast improvements to both Photoshop and Lightroom - but in the end, it's your decision.

More reading material here:

Adobe Photoshop - Wikipedia

and here:

The History of Photoshop - Photoshop Through the Years - FilterGrade

In the end, the new or improved features (not just to Photoshop but also Lightroom) may or may not have significance to different users. To me, for example, support for variable fonts was great - but a person doing simple recoloring of old pictures might not even notice.

Lan Senior Member • Posts: 2,665

The most noticeable change in day to day use is that the current healing brush and content aware features are significantly better IMO.

The latest 2021 version has also added a whole load of new 'Neural Filters', including an automated image colourizer. Unfortunately that tool currently is significantly behind My Heritage Photo Enhancer/ReMini in terms of output quality. There are also a number of other AI tools which may or may not be of any use, they're currently only available to select testers, and I'm not one of the Elite few granted that privilege.

Whilst it isn't supposed to, my installation of Photoshop very much does insist I log into it each and every day I use it... I went around one loop with Adobe support trying to resolve it, and when I tested it with them, it worked. Then the next day it reverted to insisting I log in again... I think it's to do with my hardware quantum changing pretty much every boot, due to a pair of slow 14TB HDDs usually missing BIOS detection on the first boot of the day. Whatever the cause, it's annoying...

Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,317

I'm with CS6 and have no intention to move to the cloud. Photoshop had fully matured by the advent of CS6, and most of the "extras" that have been introduced since are — in my opinion — gimmicks.

I sharpen in Photoshop, but not with Unsharp Mask — there are better ways.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Greg Edwards Regular Member • Posts: 300

Take a look at the wikipedia entry. I haven't used CS6 for a long time, but apparently the following version included a new Smart Sharpen, Intelligent Upsampling, and Camera Shake Reduction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop#CS6_(version_13)

Greg Edwards's gear list:Greg Edwards's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM HP Photosmart B110 +5 more
Greg Edwards Regular Member • Posts: 300

Patsy Murphy wrote:

dj_paige wrote:

Patsy Murphy wrote:

Regards Patsym

Never mentioned anything about what you regard as new features, do you actually use Photoshop ?. New features /Update's are supposed to improve programme's unfortunately for me and many others it has not done so regards Photoshop. Of course if you regard " Bell's and Whistles " as new features, well then your easily pleased.

Regards Patsym

One person's bells and whistles are another person's essential workflow tools. Features like  perspective warp, linked smart objects, select subject etc, all introduced since CS6 are very useful to me.

Greg Edwards's gear list:Greg Edwards's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM HP Photosmart B110 +5 more

Graham Meale wrote:

I'm with CS6 and have no intention to move to the cloud. Photoshop had fully matured by the advent of CS6, and most of the "extras" that have been introduced since are — in my opinion — gimmicks.

Just in case some else is reading this you don’t have to be in the cloud, unless you want to. Creative Cloud is an app from where you download and install software on to your device.

I’ve been on subscription since 2017 and I don’t a single file or smart preview in the cloud.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

A wonderful conclusion. 8

Thurnau wrote:

Just thinking about the internet connection thing. When are you not these day? You may be a person the stays unplugged for weeks and then for a few hours. Most are connected 24/7 unless you live in an area with limited connection. I get auto reminders for OS and all other software on a regular basis. Just got an OSX update for my iPhone the other day.

As for keeping up with the payment - pay for the whole year or set up a monthly auto payment via PayPal.

I bought NIK Sharpening software a long time ago, it's far better than Adobe's filters, but I'm wanting something better. I'm also not loving the popup window NIK does when I open photoshop.

-- hide signature --

A wonderful conclusion. 7

gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 2,102

I am a hobbyist who has owned PS2.5, PS5, PS6, CS3, CS6, and the subscription versions ever since. I have never seen a major number upgrade that didn't have features I lusted for, even though I could not justify upgrading for each version. Photoshop 2021 has a whole slue of "bells and whistles" that I probably could live without, but do make my life better. It would take a calamity to make me go back to CS6.

I am a retired cheapskate, but the $10/month cost is worth every penny to me.

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
kilofox Contributing Member • Posts: 816
Depends on your needs.

I would think that Selecting and Masking Hair is much easier with better results with CC. The emphasis is on easier.

kilofox's gear list:kilofox's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a7C GoPro Hero7 Black Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +7 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 7,458

Graham Meale wrote:

High Pass sharpening?

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
The first digital image was made in the late '60's for NASA, as a way to record images of Mars. Each "square" was represented by three numbers, corresponding to the red, green, and blue hue on a scale of 0 to 255. This eliminated the need to ship film back to Earth.

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,317

Ernie Misner wrote:

Graham Meale wrote:

High Pass sharpening?

Indeed.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads