A basic video question

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Harold66
Harold66 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,372
A basic video question

Hello Everyone

Hope that 2021 is going to be a better year for all of us

In case you don't already know , I am a faithful m4/3 user . My work is only for stills so my knowledge of video is very poor 

However , lots of models asked me to make short videos for them (and I hate to say no to all of these beautiful women  ) hence my question today

It may sound like a silly question but I really need a confirmation and I could not find the answer on the g9 manual

I truly hate the 3:2 ratio ( this is the reason I work with m43) and the 16.9 ratio in my mind only work for landscapes

I want to know if there is a way to select 4.3 ratio when shooting video . It does not have to be 4K , I am perfectly happy with 1080, (I believe it is called full HD , yes ?) since the videos are only for social media (mostly instagram)

I don t think there is a technical impossibility since I can shoot video in 4:3 on my Ricoh GR and GRII  but I do not see the setting on my Panasonic G9

I would also like if I can shoot video in 4.3 also in vertical , but I assume I can rotate the file in post process if needed

Your help would be appreciated 

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +5 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Interceptor121 Senior Member • Posts: 2,447
Re: A basic video question

You can shoot 4:3 using the anamorphic mode of the GH5. The G9 does not have such modes so you have 16:9 only

Instagram etc are 16:9 you can do 4:3 but it will be black bars everywhere as nobody has a CRT screen anymore.

Interceptor121's gear list:Interceptor121's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +15 more
G Dickson
G Dickson Senior Member • Posts: 1,348

I don't have my G9 to hand but will check later.  But I do know that you can shoot in 6k in the 4:3 format.  Put it to 6K photo mode and hit record.  Vertical I am afraid not - you would have to sort that in post.

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +9 more
Harold66
OP Harold66 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,372

G Dickson wrote:

I don't have my G9 to hand but will check later. But I do know that you can shoot in 6k in the 4:3 format. Put it to 6K photo mode and hit record. Vertical I am afraid not - you would have to sort that in post.

ok thanks but 6k is just lots of frames . it cannot be turned into video , correct ?

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +5 more

G Dickson wrote:

I don't have my G9 to hand but will check later. But I do know that you can shoot in 6k in the 4:3 format. Put it to 6K photo mode and hit record. Vertical I am afraid not - you would have to sort that in post.

That's correct in 6K photo mode does not record at all in 16:9 but does 4:3 and 3:2 200 Mbps 10 bit 4:2:0 in a movie format with an index of jpeg to extract (on camera). Frame rate is fixed at 30 fps.

The shutter has also a configurable behaviour start , keep pressed etc

It is a H265 video file you can use it for clips youtube is your friend

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +15 more
pannumon Veteran Member • Posts: 3,172

Harold66 wrote:

In case you don't already know , I am a faithful m4/3 user . My work is only for stills so my knowledge of video is very poor

However , lots of models asked me to make short videos for them (and I hate to say no to all of these beautiful women ) hence my question today

It's important to know how they want to use the videos, because it looks very stupid if 4:3 and 16:9 video are being mixed. If they don't understand anything about aspect ratios etc. they probably want 16:9. I would hesitate to deliver anything else.

If your videos are "final products", then the aspect ratio is probably not such an issue. Also I think Instagram and other platforms that are used mostly via smart phones may actually have better support for 1:1, 4:3 or 9:16 (portrait) aspect ratio than 16:9. But I don't know because I don't use Instagram.

It may sound like a silly question but I really need a confirmation and I could not find the answer on the g9 manual

I truly hate the 3:2 ratio ( this is the reason I work with m43) and the 16.9 ratio in my mind only work for landscapes

I want to know if there is a way to select 4.3 ratio when shooting video . It does not have to be 4K , I am perfectly happy with 1080, (I believe it is called full HD , yes ?) since the videos are only for social media (mostly instagram)

You could shoot 4k and crop it to 4:3. 4k is 3840x2160 (8Mp) so you could crop it to 2880 x 2160 (6Mp). In comparison FullHD is 1920 x 1080 (2Mp).

But the real answer is that you could try 4k/6k photo modes in S/S submode and utilize the full sensor readout (not only full sensor width).

Note that if you want to adjust exposure parameters and ISO when shooting normal video, you need to be in creative movie mode. Otherwise the camera will use automatic settings. This is super important, so here is an example: If you are in M, S or A mode and start recording video, then shutter speed, aperture and ISO will be adjusted automatically by camera, no matter what settings you have selected from the camera (exp. comp should work, though).

However, if you are 4k/6k photo mode, then the parameters you choose in M, S or A mode should be used by the camera to record the video. It's better to double check this, though.

Shooting video in manual mode is no problem, because usually the shutter speed needs to fixed to something like 1/50s to make the motion look smooth. You probably also want to keep the aperture constant as well, unless you can adjust it steplessly. What is left to adjust is ISO.

Note that you don't want too much light when shooting at base ISO, 1/50s and wide apertures. Alternative you can use ND filters to block too much light.

I don t think there is a technical impossibility since I can shoot video in 4:3 on my Ricoh GR and GRII but I do not see the setting on my Panasonic G9

GH5 and GH5S should have this possibility, given that they can shoot 4:3 anamorphic. With older (Micro Four Thirds) cameras it was possible to record VGA video (640x480), but higher resolutions are usually 16:9 or even slightly wider options (check DCI, UHD)

pannumon's gear list:pannumon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +18 more

Harold66 wrote:

G Dickson wrote:

ok thanks but 6k is just lots of frames . it cannot be turned into video , correct ?

I assume 6k photo mode is similar to 4k photo mode. The whole point is that the frames are recorded as video. Frames can be pulled out from the video either from camera or from the video on PC. Instead of loads of files, there is one file for the sequence. this can make handling the data much easier.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +18 more
Jeff Wahaus Regular Member • Posts: 297

Harold66 wrote:

I want to know if there is a way to select 4.3 ratio when shooting video .

You may want to consider what device your video's will be displayed on.  Most likely a 16:9 monitor.  I suppose if you don't mind borders then 4:3 will work.

Jeff Wahaus's gear list:Jeff Wahaus's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +10 more
Harold66

Jeff Wahaus wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

I want to know if there is a way to select 4.3 ratio when shooting video .

You may want to consider what device your video's will be displayed on. Most likely a 16:9 monitor. I suppose if you don't mind borders then 4:3 will work.

For my usage , ANYTHING is better than a 3:2 or 16:9 ratio 

Harold

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

Harold66

pannumon wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

However , lots of models asked me to make short videos for them (and I hate to say no to all of these beautiful women ) hence my question today

It's important to know how they want to use the videos, because it looks very stupid if 4:3 and 16:9 video are being mixed. If they don't understand anything about aspect ratios etc. they probably want 16:9. I would hesitate to deliver anything else.

If your videos are "final products", then the aspect ratio is probably not such an issue. Also I think Instagram and other platforms that are used mostly via smart phones may actually have better support for 1:1, 4:3 or 9:16 (portrait) aspect ratio than 16:9. But I don't know because I don't use Instagram.

You could shoot 4k and crop it to 4:3. 4k is 3840x2160 (8Mp) so you could crop it to 2880 x 2160 (6Mp). In comparison FullHD is 1920 x 1080 (2Mp).

But the real answer is that you could try 4k/6k photo modes in S/S submode and utilize the full sensor readout (not only full sensor width).

S/S  submode ... what is it . does it mean shutter speed something ?  also to use the full sensor readout is is something I must select in one of the menus ?

please if you could clarify this , thanks

Note that if you want to adjust exposure parameters and ISO when shooting normal video, you need to be in creative movie mode. Otherwise the camera will use automatic settings. This is super important, so here is an example: If you are in M, S or A mode and start recording video, then shutter speed, aperture and ISO will be adjusted automatically by camera, no matter what settings you have selected from the camera (exp. comp should work, though).

I did not know that. very useful info . I normally shoot manual mode but I can use a semi auto mode if you think it is easier that way

However, if you are 4k/6k photo mode, then the parameters you choose in M, S or A mode should be used by the camera to record the video. It's better to double check this, though.

ok will check . looks like 6k photo mode is my better option based on some of the replies I got

Shooting video in manual mode is no problem, because usually the shutter speed needs to fixed to something like 1/50s to make the motion look smooth. You probably also want to keep the aperture constant as well, unless you can adjust it steplessly. What is left to adjust is ISO.

as long as I can shoot the iso , I do not need to change it for one video

Note that you don't want too much light when shooting at base ISO, 1/50s and wide apertures. Alternative you can use ND filters to block too much light.

I don t think there is a technical impossibility since I can shoot video in 4:3 on my Ricoh GR and GRII but I do not see the setting on my Panasonic G9

GH5 and GH5S should have this possibility, given that they can shoot 4:3 anamorphic. With older (Micro Four Thirds) cameras it was possible to record VGA video (640x480), but higher resolutions are usually 16:9 or even slightly wider options (check DCI, UHD)

are you saying that on the GR it was VGA and not 1080P ? I guess I better check

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

Harold66 wrote:

pannumon wrote:

S/S submode ... what is it . does it mean shutter speed something ?

4k (and 6k?) photo mode has recording methods:

Burst - in this mode the camera records while the shutter is pressed. This is close to normal burst mode for stills.

Burst(S/S) - in this mode press shutter release button to start and stop recording. So you press once to start recording, and again to stop recording. This is basically the same as starting and stopping normal video recording.

Pre-Burst - Camera records continuously to one second (30 frames on G7/G80 etc.)). When shutter release button is pressed, the camera saves the 30 frames that were recorded before the shutter release button was pressed along 30 following frames. In total of 2 seconds of video is recorded. The amount of frames may be different with G9 compared to G7/G80 etc, I think 4k on G9 is up to 60fps and 6k is 30fps. This is somewhat similar to ProCapture in Olympus cameras.

also to use the full sensor readout is is something I must select in one of the menus ?please if you could clarify this , thanks

No need to do anything. Just note that in contrast 16:9 recording crops from top and bottom of the frame even if the full sensor width is used. Some cameras crop even more when recording 4k video (not G9, though). But when using 4:3 the whole image circle and sensor area is used, which is very nice.

I did not know that. very useful info . I normally shoot manual mode but I can use a semi auto mode if you think it is easier that way

I don't understand. But inside Creative Movie mode, there are separate P, A, S & M modes video.

ok will check . looks like 6k photo mode is my better option based on some of the replies I got

Note that 4k/6k photo modes are not meant to be used for long clips, and they can introduce overheating.

No, I don't know. But before HD (720 lines), the standard aspect ratio for digital camera video was 4:3.

Harold66

pannumon wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

pa4k (and 6k?) photo mode has recording methods:

Burst - in this mode the camera records while the shutter is pressed. This is close to normal burst mode for stills.

Burst(S/S) - in this mode press shutter release button to start and stop recording. So you press once to start recording, and again to stop recording. This is basically the same as starting and stopping normal video recording.

Pre-Burst - Camera records continuously to one second (30 frames on G7/G80 etc.)). When shutter release button is pressed, the camera saves the 30 frames that were recorded before the shutter release button was pressed along 30 following frames. In total of 2 seconds of video is recorded. The amount of frames may be different with G9 compared to G7/G80 etc, I think 4k on G9 is up to 60fps and 6k is 30fps. This is somewhat similar to ProCapture in Olympus cameras.

Ok, first thank you very much for your explanation 

I guess burst s/s is closer to what I am looking for . it is jpegs only, yes ?

also to use the full sensor readout is is something I must select in one of the menus ?please if you could clarify this , thanks

No need to do anything. Just note that in contrast 16:9 recording crops from top and bottom of the frame even if the full sensor width is used. Some cameras crop even more when recording 4k video (not G9, though). But when using 4:3 the whole image circle and sensor area is used, which is very nice.

ok great

I don't understand. But inside Creative Movie mode, there are separate P, A, S & M modes video.

Note that 4k/6k photo modes are not meant to be used for long clips, and they can introduce overheating.

ok any idea of how many seconds or minutes I can shoot in 6k. I hope I would get at least 20 or 30 seconds to show the model move 

S

No, I don't know. But before HD (720 lines), the standard aspect ratio for digital camera video was 4:3.

ok I will check on my GR.

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

It does more than 30 seconds however at times of intense use may overheat.

The file is H265 10 bit 4:2:0 some machines choke to process it

Harold66

Interceptor121 wrote:

It does more than 30 seconds however at times of intense use may overheat.

The file is H265 10 bit 4:2:0 some machines choke to process it

Ok great thanks . 30 seconds should be plenty enough 

I am definitely going to give a try for my next model shoot 

Thank you all for the feedback. Much appreciated 

H

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,640

The 4K or 6K photo modes of Panny indeed produces a MP4 as the end product. We don't need to export the frame from the footage.

It has a flexibility to use any still shooting aspect ratio so is the 4:3.

Since 4K/6K photo modes are originally to capture the motion, it is usually not subjected to the usual 180 degree shutter rule ( says, 1/60" for 30fps etc). Therefore usually the MP4 would be choppy on playback, not smooth as those regular video shooting under/close to 180 degree rule. Hence, as long as we apply similar shooting parameters using in usual video shooting, the footage from 4K/6K photo mode could be the same as shooting in regular video shooting mode. I saw many members in fact use that 6K photo mode footage as 6K video. 😀

The issue is currently the playback media, TV or the software would default the video aspect ratio to 16:9, any footage if not shoot under 16:9, upon playback, would have dark bars (would not auto crop like the older format) making it not very nice. So, even you prefer 4:3, might have to consider your client would like to have a non 16:9 video...

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
alcelc

pannumon wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

pannumon wrote:

S/S submode ... what is it . does it mean shutter speed something ?

4k (and 6k?) photo mode has recording methods:

Likely will be a problem of pre burst only since under pre burst, the recording starts on the time of enabling the mode and only stop at the time we hit the shutter button to fire. So, if we enable the mode and keep the mode active for a long time, it can over heat the camera. Not the other 2 photo modes since they are only on usual video recording.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
alcelc

Harold66 wrote:

pannumon wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

pa4k (and 6k?) photo mode has recording methods:

Ok, first thank you very much for your explanation

I guess burst s/s is closer to what I am looking for . it is jpegs only, yes

No, the output is a MP4 video file. By the specific in-camera feature, or by an video editor, we can extract frames in jpg only. The sort of extraction can also be applied on other normal video footage.

ok great

ok any idea of how many seconds or minutes I can shoot in 6k. I hope I would get at least 20 or 30 seconds to show the model move

Have you ever find a Panny camera over heat on video shooting?

4K/6K photo modes indeed is a video recording, but has the flexibilty on choosing aspect ratio only. Overheating will occur on Pre Burst mode mostly which is not for your purpose.

S

ok I will check on my GR.

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

-- hide signature --

Albert

Harold66

alcelc wrote:

The 4K or 6K photo modes of Panny indeed produces a MP4 as the end product.

Ooh 😮 I thought someone wrote it produced a H265 file ... now I am confused

We don't need to export the frame from the footage.

sorry no idea what this sentence means 😐

Since 4K/6K photo modes are originally to capture the motion, it is usually not subjected to the usual 180 degree shutter rule ( says, 1/60" for 30fps etc). Therefore usually the MP4 would be choppy on playback, not smooth as those regular video shooting under/close to 180 degree rule. Hence, as long as we apply similar shooting parameters using in usual video shooting, the footage from 4K/6K photo mode could be the same as shooting in regular video shooting mode. I saw many members in fact use that 6K photo mode footage as 6K video. 😀

Not sure. Are you saying that when shooting handheld i should select a higher speed than 1/60s ?

The issue is currently the playback media, TV or the software would default the video aspect ratio to 16:9,

ooh no 😲

any footage if not shoot under 16:9, upon playback, would have dark bars (would not auto crop like the older format) making it not very nice. So, even you prefer 4:3, might have to consider your client would like to have a non 16:9 video...

H

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

alcelc

Harold66 wrote:

alcelc wrote:

The 4K or 6K photo modes of Panny indeed produces a MP4 as the end product.

Ooh 😮 I thought someone wrote it produced a H265 file ... now I am confused

H.265 is an encoding method and by the end, you have a MP4 file, which is a video file. 4K uses H.264 encoding method.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Video_Coding

We don't need to export the frame from the footage.

sorry no idea what this sentence means 😐

It means that the MP4 file from the 4K/6K photo mode can stop at the point of a MP4 video file.

We can have the option to extract frames from it in camera, or by an video editor on your computer, or just use it as a video footage.

Not sure. Are you saying that when shooting handheld i should select a higher speed than 1/60s ?

Not at all. It should depend on how you would use the footage.

If you are basically looking for an usual video, likely the 180 degree shutter rule should be used for a smooth playback.

4K/6K photo modes, is a trick played by Panny, making use of the high fps of video technology, applying it for high speed still shooting. It is easy to understand that very low spec camera can do 30fps video shooting without much issue. No deep buffer be needed, no special fast CPU required etc.

This allows even the lowest spec Panny to do ultra high fps burst shooting. Olympus uses another solution of traditional still shooting, so the pro capture is limited to top end bodies and pro lenses...

Therefore, originally 4K/6K photo mode is designed (adverised) for high speed shooting. Naturally a very fast shutter speed would be used to accompany with the high fps to catch action. So, before my mind was opened by seeing members used 6K photo for pure video purpose, I never think I would use these photo modes with slower shutter speed.

So, for normal/original use of 4K/6K photo mode to catch action, fast shutter speed would be used such that the MP4 normally is not smooth to playback.

If the end product would be used as video, we can use a slower shutter speed, e.g. 1/60" for 30fps, for a smooth video playback.

How you would use the end product would determine what shutter speed to use.

The issue is currently the playback media, TV or the software would default the video aspect ratio to 16:9,

ooh no 😲

You might try to playback a 4:3 photo on modern day TV, it would be exactly the same if you playback a 4:3 video.

I prefer 4:3, but while I encode my photos into a video, I shall convert them into 16:9 in advance to avoid uncontrollable auto cropping upon compiling into video.

any footage if not shoot under 16:9, upon playback, would have dark bars (would not auto crop like the older format) making it not very nice. So, even you prefer 4:3, might have to consider your client would like to have a non 16:9 video...

H

As per my first conversation, better ask what your model want. If just a video, better do it on usual M-video in 16:9.

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

-- hide signature --

Albert

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads