Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 and Milvus 50mm f/1.4

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
jwpnyc Junior Member • Posts: 47
Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 and Milvus 50mm f/1.4

I bought a Milvus 50mm f/1.4 and really like the lens. The lens is the best at rendering color, making 3D like image among the lenses I have. However, the lens also suffers from chromatic aberrations under f/2. Here is my question for Otus 55m owners. Does Otus have the same problem with chromatic aberrations under f/2 as well? In your opinion, what is the percentage of Milvus represents the quality of Otus?

jwpnyc's gear list:jwpnyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM +1 more
Macro guy
Macro guy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,378
Re: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 and Milvus 50mm f/1.4

This is probably the best answer to your question.

Macro guy's gear list:Macro guy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +5 more
OP jwpnyc Junior Member • Posts: 47

Macro guy wrote:

Thank you so much for the info! It has been very helpful.

I am also thinking of buying a Zeiss Milvus 85mm f/1.4. From the site you provided, 85mm has less ca problem.

jwpnyc's gear list:jwpnyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM +1 more
Macro guy

jwpnyc wrote:

Macro guy wrote:

Thank you so much for the info! It has been very helpful.

I am also thinking of buying a Zeiss Milvus 85mm f/1.4. From the site you provided, 85mm has less ca problem.

You can also compare various 85mm lenses to see which suit you best.

Bernard Delley Senior Member • Posts: 1,619
Re: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 and other great lenses

You might want to compare also

Sigma Art 14mm f/1.8,  40mm f/1.4 and 135mm f/1.8

Bernard Delley's gear list:Bernard Delley's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
bokesan
bokesan Regular Member • Posts: 334

Macro guy wrote:

Hmm - red cast in the center means that a) the Milvus has noticeable axial CA, and b) the test chart was not in focus (if it were, there would be no color cast in the center at least)

I'm not saying this to diss The Digital Picture - it's a very useful resource. It's just that this particular test shot has a problem.

Macro guy

If you look through the various lenses, quite a few of them exhibit the red cast.  However, if you read Bryan's testing methodology, it seems pretty solid.

Andre Yew Contributing Member • Posts: 990

The Milvus 50/1.4's wide open CA isn't great, and the 55 Otus's CA performance is one of its signature strengths. There is some on the Otus, but it is miniscule compared to the Milvus. The 85 Milvus also has CA wide open, but its performance improves tremendously stopped down.

bokesan
bokesan Regular Member • Posts: 334

Macro guy wrote:

If you look through the various lenses, quite a few of them exhibit the red cast. However, if you read Bryan's testing methodology, it seems pretty solid.

I've not read it, and can't find it. Can you give me a link?

If he's aiming for best overall sharpness, that might explain the center cast. The midframe and corner images are quite neutral.

Macro guy

bokesan wrote:

Macro guy wrote:

If you look through the various lenses, quite a few of them exhibit the red cast. However, if you read Bryan's testing methodology, it seems pretty solid.

I've not read it, and can't find it. Can you give me a link?

If he's aiming for best overall sharpness, that might explain the center cast. The midframe and corner images are quite neutral.

In the comparison tool, just select another lens.  You can select Canon 85mm f1.2 to see the same thing (in the EF version, not RF).

Here is a link to full review of the Melvus 50mm f1.4

JHern
JHern Regular Member • Posts: 115

Each Milvus and Otus are different, and the relative differences between the lines vary quite a lot. My impression has been that the Milvus-Otus difference is greatest for these lenses in the 50-55mm range, and less so for the 85mm.

The 35/1.4 Milvus can only be compared to the 28/1.4 Otus, and they are getting even closer in performance (actually, I would rather own/use the 35/1.4, since its large aperture is more useful in rendering depth-of-field effects at 35mm than the Otus at 28mm).

The 135/2 Milvus is often said to be "Otus" in all but name, but seems to lag a bit if one compares it with the 100/1.4 Otus (but that is probably the best Otus of them all).

There are no Otus lenses wider than 28mm (no plans, either), so nothing really to compare the 15mm, 18mm, and 21mm Milvus lenses to in the Otus line.

I should say that the build quality and weather sealing of the Milvus lenses is astonishingly good, and I don't see any reason not to invest in any of them...they will all produce wonderful images in skilled hands.

JHern's gear list:JHern's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D3S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads