Canon FD 75-200 multicolored spots on the glass

Started 5 months ago | Questions
dibya12 New Member • Posts: 16
Canon FD 75-200 multicolored spots on the glass

Hi, I recently bought a canon FD 75-210 f4.5 lens from eBay auction, I'm relatively new to the old lens market. Upon arrival I noticed that the lens s rear element has a patch, I'm not sure if it's something temporary like fungus or permanent damage. I dropped a note to the seller mentioning this since he mentioned that the lens has no marks and clean. I'm planning on dismantling and cleaning it( I have few other lenses that I need to clean as well) , would really appreciate if someone could say what is it and how bad will it impact the photos. Is it worth dismantling and cleaning the lens or not?

Here's how it looks, it's inside the rear element group

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,367
Looks like a fingerprint

...if it doesn't come off with hot breath and a gentle touch with a microfiber cloth, send it back. (assuming it was advertised inaccurately)

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
-Eric Hoffer
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily DPR's

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +33 more
DenverSteve Contributing Member • Posts: 658
Re: Canon FD 75-200 multicolored spots on the glass

That is a fungus. Whether it's reparable, or not, I can't say. Just the area inside the hood would have eliminated the lens for me.  It looks like it's either extremely dirty or has been wet. Hopefully you got it cheap. Rules on used lens purchases for me are: No fungus, No separation, No haze, No damage.

-- hide signature --

It's just my educated opinion. Don't get bent out of shape.
Steve

DenverSteve's gear list:DenverSteve's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV +8 more
OP dibya12 New Member • Posts: 16
Re: Looks like a fingerprint

The thing is it's in the inside of the glass

Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,367

dibya12 wrote:

The thing is it's in the inside of the glass

In that case, Denversteve is correct. It's fungus, and since it is just inside the REAR element instead of the front, it will affect image quality.

Send 'er back. eBay will back you up, if necessary.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
-Eric Hoffer
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily DPR's

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +33 more

Thanks, but I have seen fungus, this looks multicolored, looks as if a portion of the lens costing is scratched. Maybe it was serviced previously and this happened not sure.I got it real cheap, but it's completely useless as per you folks if shows on the picture quality. Will try to check with the seller and figure a way to disassemble and clean.   The worst part seller confirmed that there is no fungus or anything with the glass over mail but never took a picture from the rear end

Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,595

dibya12 wrote:

Thanks, but I have seen fungus, this looks multicolored, looks as if a portion of the lens costing is scratched. Maybe it was serviced previously and this happened not sure.I got it real cheap, but it's completely useless as per you folks if shows on the picture quality. Will try to check with the seller and figure a way to disassemble and clean. The worst part seller confirmed that there is no fungus or anything with the glass over mail but never took a picture from the rear end

It's fungus. The scratches you are seeing/feeling is the fungus etching the glass. The fungus secretes an acid which will desolve the coating and if left on long enough, the glass itself. The multicoloring you are seeing is the damage done to the coating.  It is not economically repairable.

-- hide signature --

Formally Evogt500

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,704

That is fungus.

It looks to me that it has eaten into the coating so the only thing to do  would be to replace that element (probably part of a group )

So I'm left w two options either try to clean it( can it be cleaned and is it worth the time) or sell it back on ebay with the description. Getting used lens is a gamble

Yeah I believe the seller intentionally never posted pictures from the rear side of the lens. I'm asking for a partial refund since sending it back is not an option given it was cheap

Thanks for the answer. So far I was under the assumption that fungus can be cleaned using peroxide and its not permanent

dibya12 wrote:

Thanks for the answer. So far I was under the assumption that fungus can be cleaned using peroxide and its not permanent

It depends on the type of fungus you have. Some does grow on top of the glass but it looks to me that you have the type that eats into the glass.

I suggest you take some photos with it first because it may still be good enough.

Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,595

dibya12 wrote:

This depends on how long the fungus has been growing inside the lens.  Early stages of growth can be cleaned out with no damage.   Unfortunately for your lens, it seems to have been inside the lens long enough to do permanent damage.

-- hide signature --

Formally Evogt500

dibya12 wrote:

So I'm left w two options either try to clean it( can it be cleaned and is it worth the time) or sell it back on ebay with the description. Getting used lens is a gamble

Why isn't one option to return the lens as the fungus wasn't disclosed?  Unless you've had it a while (for me more than 72 hours) or you've made some modification to the lens, you should be able to return it as different than described.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV +8 more

So the price of lens is $18 and a shipping of $14.9, in order to return the lens, I would have to pay an additional $15.so doesn't make much sense financially

dibya12 wrote:

So the price of lens is $18 and a shipping of $14.9, in order to return the lens, I would have to pay an additional $15.so doesn't make much sense financially

That's not the way it works. If an item arrives DOA or not as described, they have to pay for return shipping. There might have been a clue in the price of the lens. You generally get what you pay for.

-- hide signature --

Steve

I'm not sure and totally new to this ball game. The seller has 99%+ rating, and in order to be sure I  mailed him before bidding and he ensured it's good! I don't know if it was unintentional or not. But it's certainly not that super cheap, as I saw bunch of other listing for 75-200 fd at similar or lower price after I bought this. Since it a bid, I wasn't sure how I could have guessed the actual price and taken a cue from it. But definitely we get what we pay for.

My experience in trading in lenses is that very often people are not aware of optical defects in their lenses (fungus, separation,haze,dust,scratches)  because they don't look for them.

Folks I noticed that the lens is reasonable sharp, I haven't checked at lower f stops though. I don't know if it's a bid concern. I realised these lenses are inexplicable complicated to disassemble, so I have put that idea on hold for the time

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads