Canon G3X Image Quality

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Dave Robertson New Member • Posts: 8
Canon G3X Image Quality

Hi all

I'm looking for some advice - bought a G3X 2nd hand and unseen a few months back. Overall I've been happy with it - some issues with focussing but I think I just need to get used to it. One thing that doesn't make sense to me though is I'm shooting on the highest image quality setting, but when I try to zoom in on the photos on my computer I quickly lose image quality. The size of the recorded photos is only around 3-4MB, whereas I would have expected around 8MB on the highest setting. It's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong but I have no idea what. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon G3 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
arrow501 Contributing Member • Posts: 876
Re: Canon G3X Image Quality

Hi Dave, can you upload a photo for us to look at please? We should be abke to work it out by looking at the exif data in the photo.

arrow501's gear list:arrow501's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Confusedabit Senior Member • Posts: 1,929

Dave Robertson wrote:

Hi all

I'm looking for some advice - bought a G3X 2nd hand and unseen a few months back. Overall I've been happy with it - some issues with focussing but I think I just need to get used to it. One thing that doesn't make sense to me though is I'm shooting on the highest image quality setting, but when I try to zoom in on the photos on my computer I quickly lose image quality. The size of the recorded photos is only around 3-4MB, whereas I would have expected around 8MB on the highest setting. It's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong but I have no idea what. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Looking at my JPEGs from when I had one of these they were double this size and what you expect. When you say high image quality you have JPEG set to L and superfine with an S showing in the quadrant in front of the L? This should show up when you hit the set button for quick menu.

Focusing is not the high point of these Powershots so probably that is just the way it is.

Confusedabit's gear list:Confusedabit's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-PL8 Fujifilm X-T20 +6 more
OP Dave Robertson New Member • Posts: 8

Thanks for the reply arrow501.

Here are 2 I took recently

Hi Confusedabit

For some reason I don't get the superfine option. The only options I can see are L (my current setting), M1, M2 and S which is the lowest.

Dave Robertson wrote:

The memory size of the images will depend on the detail in the pictures and these flat even out of focus areas will require little memory and compression will be easy and effective. These just seem a bit underexposed on the subject and one I looked at shows pattern exposure and spot exposure may have been better or just lifting the exposure a bit. They seem generally OK but I am no great judge.

Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-PL8 Fujifilm X-T20 +6 more

Dave Robertson wrote:

Hi Confusedabit

For some reason I don't get the superfine option. The only options I can see are L (my current setting), M1, M2 and S which is the lowest.

When you press the set button in the centre of the cursor control bringing up the quick menu in P mode this should show top left down one the choices .

The best way to check and change it.

bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 11,569

Dave Robertson wrote:

Exif indicates Digital Zoom of 4x

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

feddon
feddon Regular Member • Posts: 417

I don't think you get the best quality in auto mode. Haven't got the camera in hand to check other modes etc

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138116018@N04/albums/72157675906737253

feddon's gear list:feddon's gear list
Canon G3 X Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony a7 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more

bclaff wrote:

Dave Robertson wrote:

Exif indicates Digital Zoom of 4x

Yes. I missed that. Not a bad photo considering.

Thanks for that.

Excuse my ignorance but what is Exif? I thought I was shooting with only the optical zoom (at full 600mm if I recall correctly).

OK got it - many thanks! I had just had it on Auto mode. Changed to P and sorted out!

Thanks - switched to P mode and will try this for now!

IWBF
IWBF Regular Member • Posts: 292

Dave Robertson wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but what is Exif?

EXIF is a standard to specify the format of files. In the context at hand it is important to know that images contain metadata. These are informations about the image such as shooting parameters, used equipment, GPS and so on. That you shot with digital zoom is one of these embedded informations.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exif

Got it - thanks.

I hadn't realised that when zooming in on a subject, once it gets to the max optical zoom it looks like it carries on zooming digitally so that's obviously what happened. I've got a lot to learn!

Dave Robertson wrote:

Got it - thanks.

I hadn't realised that when zooming in on a subject, once it gets to the max optical zoom it looks like it carries on zooming digitally so that's obviously what happened. I've got a lot to learn!

You can change that in the menu. Cameras usually pause before they go in to extended digital zoom.

If you have bought second hand it is better to do a menu reset to get it back to the factory mode or you may have all sorts of unusual quirks in the camera and greyouts in the menu. A greyout if you do not know is a menu item that cannot be selected because you have set some other function in the camera that precludes its use. Many of us have suffered and posted in despair when we cannot remember what we changed to kick this off.

Nor such a problem with Canon as these are simple cameras in comparison to some and the manuals are easy to read which has its advantages. Canon are more in the business of publishing innovative patents rather than using them.

The manual will assume you are starting from factory default.

If I sell a camera I always try to remember to reset to avoid complications and clear wifi etc..

Many thanks again for all the useful advice - very helpful!

saaber1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,148

Dave Robertson wrote:

Here is what I would do to evaluate max sharpness of the camera for sitting birds/wildlife. First, separate the variables that can affect image quality that are due to technique, from variables that are due to the camera's capabilities/limitations

Technique related variables to eliminate:

1) shoot in bright light, have the sun at your back and shoot birds in the bright sun (You can shoot shaded birds later when you know what max capabilities are in the best light). This is a HUGE factor for smaller sensor sizes and smaller apertures (larger aperture #)

2) stability. Shoot with camera on tripod or resting on something solid. Slowly squeeze the shutter while holding camera as still as possible Use continuous high shutter to get multiple shots of the same thing in case some are blurred due to camera shake

3) shutter speed. Ideally you want to have higher shutter speeds than u are using but this is affected by light available of course

4). Shoot in M mode. Assuming u are shooting at longer focal lengths, choose the lowest aperture number, an acceptable iso such as 200, 400, then change shutter speed until you get the desired exposure (lightness or darkness) on the lcd. I realize this Shutter speed may be slower than ideal but this isn't a dslr so u have to live with it and that's another benefit of using continuous high (ie multiple shots to choose from)

5) autofocus, longer discussion here on how to set up AF, but in short make sure YOU are selecting the focus point with a single box/point. Don't let the camera choose the focal point. Also make sure the camera is not continually focusing (unless you are purposely wanting it to continually focus by holding the shutter half way).

6) don't use any sort of digital zoom, which is a form of cropping (sometimes with jpeg tweaks applied in-camera to enhance it the image).

Any one of the above will cause u to lose sharpness/detail (potentially so in the case of digital zoom depending on what u are doing or not doing with post processing) . Having more than one present in ur technique can be really detrimental. Amount of light hitting the subject alone f.e. Can make almost all other variables irrelevant, especially with small sensor cameras and smaller apertures (higher aperture #). I think amt of light on the subject is the biggest thing to address in the two photos u posted.

cameras limitations:

im out of time so perhaps can add more info here later but addressing the technique stuff will probably help pics a lot.

bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 11,569

Dave Robertson wrote:

Thanks for that.

Excuse my ignorance but what is Exif? I thought I was shooting with only the optical zoom (at full 600mm if I recall correctly).

Exif

Digital Zoom:

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

Dave Robertson wrote:

OK got it - many thanks! I had just had it on Auto mode. Changed to P and sorted out!

Excellent. It should still hold in that quality in Auto I presume. I suppose they do not show it as a choice in Auto to keep things simple.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads