New G Master Lens in the DPREVIEW TV Nikon Z7II Vid

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Mike Evangelist
Mike Evangelist Contributing Member • Posts: 601
Re: Here's a photo where you can see the G more clearly

aSevenArr wrote:

...the idiot holding the camera

That guy drives me crazy, almost every day. 

 Mike Evangelist's gear list:Mike Evangelist's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN Sony FE 12-24mm F2.8 GM Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8 +1 more
Malling Regular Member • Posts: 231
Re: Here's a photo where you can see the G more clearly

aSevenArr wrote:

Malling wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

GF wrote:

LiveFromPhilly wrote.

Also, it's definitely not the 20mm since that has a different minimum focus distance compared to this lens (the 20mm is .63ft, this lens is .89ft)

It should be the released lens that’s why they cover the lens. Based on Sony Rumor, most likely it is 35mm f1.4.

Yes, that would be my guess.

A long overdue 35mm GM

There has been one for years, albeit with a different name, the Sony Zeiss 1.4/35. This new lens is basically just a v. 2.0 If you have any doubt put the two pictures next to each other of the two lenses, the shape, aperture ring, focus ring is completely identical.

So no let’s puncture the idea of a new lens, this clearly for me more indicate that Sony has begun updating their existing lenses and it’s about time. This means they start with the oldest first these where the Sony Zeiss but in v. 2 these are just renamed G and GM.

Yes, I already have the "Distagon" and many of the other GM's.

The 35mm Sony Zeiss Distagon is a nice lens but it's not GM quality.

The technology has moved on since then (it's also a bit on the large and heavy side).

So IMHO it could be sharper and if it had some of these new extreme aspherical elements and the new super fast focusing motors that Sony has been using recently I think we could have something very special on our hands.

Or... it could just as easily be a 28mm or even a 40mm.

That has more to do with age then the level it represented back when it where released. That’s just how much the technology has improved. The first GM lens are really nothing compared to the newer ones as well and technology speaking you could argue these are no GM lenses in 2020/2021 terms . The GM branding came instead of the Zeiss that Sony used before it, they just used zeiss for marketing reasons and they also had good glass of that time.

Malling Regular Member • Posts: 231
Re: Here's a photo where you can see the G more clearly

ISO 1 Million wrote:

Malling wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

GF wrote:

LiveFromPhilly wrote.

Also, it's definitely not the 20mm since that has a different minimum focus distance compared to this lens (the 20mm is .63ft, this lens is .89ft)

It should be the released lens that’s why they cover the lens. Based on Sony Rumor, most likely it is 35mm f1.4.

Yes, that would be my guess.

A long overdue 35mm GM

There has been one for years, albeit with a different name, the Sony Zeiss 1.4/35. This new lens is basically just a v. 2.0 If you have any doubt put the two pictures next to each other of the two lenses, the shape, aperture ring, focus ring is completely identical.

So no let’s puncture the idea of a new lens, this clearly for me more indicate that Sony has begun updating their existing lenses and it’s about time. This means they start with the oldest first these where the Sony Zeiss but in v. 2 these are just renamed G and GM.

The Sony Zeiss lenses are not GM lenses. It can be argued how much influence Zeiss actually had in the design of the Sony Zeiss lenses but they have absolutely none in the GM lenses. The lens pictured in the OP looks nothing like the distagon 35. The distagon has a petal shaped hood while this one has a lens hood more in line with longer focal lengths. The distagon has no focus hold button while this one does. The distagon and other Sony Zeiss lenses have a slightly shinier metal finish while the GM lenses have a matte textured finish.

I have no doubt that a 35mm 1.4 GM lens will be different in design both internally and externally. I have no comment on whether it will be a better lens but it will definitely be a different design and not a "2.0" version of a Sony Zeiss lens.

Haha Lens hood, that’s not really an argument. 
Yes they added a focus hold button, but besides hat and minor changes in the metal finish it’s identical in appearance, such minor changes on the outer design are to be expected in next gen.  you always make modifications to show that it’s next gen. You can be sure you’ll see similar changes when the first GM will be updated in the coming years. Sony are clearly building the new lens upon the old Zeiss, the internal is obviously gonna change allot as that’s called evolution of technology, since this is quite an old design, it would probably be very different, but that will be no different to  when Sony will update the 24-70gm and 70-200gm, that’s probably gonna be the first GM. Allot of the internal of those two lenes would be just as different, both lenes will most likely be shrinking in seize as well, as that is how much technology has improved and moved on.

Sony just used Zeiss to get a foothold in the Enthusiasts and pro segment that’s where the main reason the first higher level lenses where not branded G and GM. Sony needed a name of a well renowned manufacturer, to get people on board, but basically it’s a Sony lens not a Zeiss.

moficera Contributing Member • Posts: 553
Re: Here's a photo where you can see the G more clearly
2

You keep posting this picture of the Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4 claiming it to be the new GM lens (actually jb502 posted the picture, sorry) while the focus and aperture ring are clearly different from the lens in DPRTVs video.

Obviously the Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4 is identical to the Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4 but not this new lens.

 moficera's gear list:moficera's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro +12 more
Palmguy Junior Member • Posts: 39
Re: Here's a photo where you can see the G more clearly
3

Malling wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

GF wrote:

LiveFromPhilly wrote.

Also, it's definitely not the 20mm since that has a different minimum focus distance compared to this lens (the 20mm is .63ft, this lens is .89ft)

It should be the released lens that’s why they cover the lens. Based on Sony Rumor, most likely it is 35mm f1.4.

Yes, that would be my guess.

A long overdue 35mm GM

There has been one for years, albeit with a different name, the Sony Zeiss 1.4/35. This new lens is basically just a v. 2.0 If you have any doubt put the two pictures next to each other of the two lenses, the shape, aperture ring, focus ring is completely identical.

So no let’s puncture the idea of a new lens, this clearly for me more indicate that Sony has begun updating their existing lenses and it’s about time. This means they start with the oldest first these where the Sony Zeiss but in v. 2 these are just renamed G and GM.

Just at a very fundamental level the existing 35/1.4 has a 72mm filter thread, while the subject of this thread has a 67mm thread. The shape (of which size is a part) isn't as identical as you're suggesting.

 Palmguy's gear list:Palmguy's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a7C Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 +5 more
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 7,701
Re: New G Master Lens in the DPREVIEW TV Nikon Z7II Vid

Heh, DPR ninja edited the video and cut off the end scene teasing this week's article (and teasing the 35GM by mistake).

 Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +27 more
Jb502 Contributing Member • Posts: 586
Re: Here's a photo where you can see the G more clearly

moficera wrote:

You keep posting this picture of the Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4 claiming it to be the new GM lens (actually jb502 posted the picture, sorry) while the focus and aperture ring are clearly different from the lens in DPRTVs video.

Obviously the Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4 is identical to the Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4 but not this new lens.

I’m not claiming. It is fir a fact, a new g master 35mm lens.

 Jb502's gear list:Jb502's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7S III GoPro Hero9 Black GoPro Hero8 Black Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +8 more
moficera Contributing Member • Posts: 553
Re: Here's a photo where you can see the G more clearly
1

Jb502 wrote:

moficera wrote:

You keep posting this picture of the Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4 claiming it to be the new GM lens (actually jb502 posted the picture, sorry) while the focus and aperture ring are clearly different from the lens in DPRTVs video.

Obviously the Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4 is identical to the Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4 but not this new lens.

I’m not claiming. It is fir a fact, a new g master 35mm lens.

It is just a picture of the Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4, everybody can see that. If it was a GM lens the "GM" would be at least included in the name.

 moficera's gear list:moficera's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro +12 more
Simone S Contributing Member • Posts: 554
Yes, it's a 35mm GM f1,4 smaller and lighter than the Distagon, but..
1

..am I the only one who hoped in a 35mm f1,2 GM and a possible new line of GM lenses all at f1,2 like Canon is doing?

 Simone S's gear list:Simone S's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +6 more
LiveFromPhilly
OP LiveFromPhilly Regular Member • Posts: 495
Yeah

I can definitely understand wanting f/1.2, although the Sigma is very good from my understanding so maybe an f/1.2 35mm isn’t a priority.

I do really hope they have an f/1.2 50mm since there isn’t one of those for the system yet.

 LiveFromPhilly's gear list:LiveFromPhilly's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Nikon D60 Sony a7 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
ClementPhotos Regular Member • Posts: 368
Re: New G Master Lens in the DPREVIEW TV Nikon Z7II Vid

This thread is very confusing. I don't know how people think this looks like a 35mm lens.

This hood looks too long and front element too recessed to be 35mm.

 ClementPhotos's gear list:ClementPhotos's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +11 more
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 7,701
Re: New G Master Lens in the DPREVIEW TV Nikon Z7II Vid

ClementPhotos wrote:

This thread is very confusing. I don't know how people think this looks like a 35mm lens.

This hood looks too long and front element too recessed to be 35mm.

A petal hood is definitely more common. That hood is too tight/short and the filter thread is kinda small (67mm) for anything much longer tho (it's certainly not an 85mm), and a 35 GM has been rumored for a while... So unless Sony is trolling everyone and it's like a 45mm or something then there's not much else it could be.

We'll know within 24 hours anyway (if SAR is right), it was obvious the announcement was imminent if DPR had intended in posting a camera roundup with footage of it this week (that's what the now deleted scene in the video suggested).

 Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +27 more
aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 2,662
Re: Here's a photo where you can see the G more clearly

Malling wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

Malling wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

GF wrote:

LiveFromPhilly wrote.

Also, it's definitely not the 20mm since that has a different minimum focus distance compared to this lens (the 20mm is .63ft, this lens is .89ft)

It should be the released lens that’s why they cover the lens. Based on Sony Rumor, most likely it is 35mm f1.4.

Yes, that would be my guess.

A long overdue 35mm GM

There has been one for years, albeit with a different name, the Sony Zeiss 1.4/35. This new lens is basically just a v. 2.0 If you have any doubt put the two pictures next to each other of the two lenses, the shape, aperture ring, focus ring is completely identical.

So no let’s puncture the idea of a new lens, this clearly for me more indicate that Sony has begun updating their existing lenses and it’s about time. This means they start with the oldest first these where the Sony Zeiss but in v. 2 these are just renamed G and GM.

Yes, I already have the "Distagon" and many of the other GM's.

The 35mm Sony Zeiss Distagon is a nice lens but it's not GM quality.

The technology has moved on since then (it's also a bit on the large and heavy side).

So IMHO it could be sharper and if it had some of these new extreme aspherical elements and the new super fast focusing motors that Sony has been using recently I think we could have something very special on our hands.

Or... it could just as easily be a 28mm or even a 40mm.

That has more to do with age then the level it represented back when it where released. That’s just how much the technology has improved. The first GM lens are really nothing compared to the newer ones as well and technology speaking you could argue these are no GM lenses in 2020/2021 terms . The GM branding came instead of the Zeiss that Sony used before it, they just used zeiss for marketing reasons and they also had good glass of that time.

Originally GM was meant to be about resolution and especially for the sensors that Sony knew were in the pipeline. But I can testify that there are also significant differences in build quality.

But yes, eventually we will see "GM version 2" lenses of course. That's expected.

I do expect the new extreme aspherical elements will make noticeable improvements to many designs. Especially helpful when the lens is WA.

Their 24mm GM is simply awesome for example.

 aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a9 Sony a7R Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +13 more
Mike Evangelist
Mike Evangelist Contributing Member • Posts: 601
Re: Here's a photo where you can see the G more clearly
1
 Mike Evangelist's gear list:Mike Evangelist's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN Sony FE 12-24mm F2.8 GM Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8 +1 more
ClementPhotos Regular Member • Posts: 368
Re: Here's a photo where you can see the G more clearly

Mike Evangelist wrote:

Confirmed...35mm ƒ1.4 GM

https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/1349128751532019712?s=19

That's crazy. Doesn't look like that hood should work.

 ClementPhotos's gear list:ClementPhotos's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +11 more
aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 2,662
Re: Here's a photo where you can see the G more clearly

Mike Evangelist wrote:

Confirmed...35mm ƒ1.4 GM

https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/1349128751532019712?s=19

I'll need a lot more information to know whether I'm personally going to be interested or not.

But a 35mm prime is one of my favorite lenses.

 aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a9 Sony a7R Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +13 more
Simone S Contributing Member • Posts: 554
Re: New G Master Lens in the DPREVIEW TV Nikon Z7II Vid
1

ClementPhotos wrote:

This thread is very confusing. I don't know how people think this looks like a 35mm lens.

This hood looks too long and front element too recessed to be 35mm.

https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/1349128751532019712/photo/1

People were right at the end...

 Simone S's gear list:Simone S's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +6 more
AlejandroI
AlejandroI Regular Member • Posts: 364
Re: New G Master Lens in the DPREVIEW TV Nikon Z7II Vid
1
 AlejandroI's gear list:AlejandroI's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Leica M10 Panasonic S1 Leica Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH Voigtlander 35mm F2.5 Color Skopar +4 more
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 7,701
Re: New G Master Lens in the DPREVIEW TV Nikon Z7II Vid

Bokeh looks good IMO.

 Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +27 more
Malling Regular Member • Posts: 231
Re: New G Master Lens in the DPREVIEW TV Nikon Z7II Vid

AlejandroI wrote:

Sony 35mm F1.4 GM sample gallery (dpreview.com)

looks decent, the Bokeh is reasonably good for a 35mm lens.. although I have seen better.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads