Light stand for Manfrotto 024b boom arm

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
hanay78 Junior Member • Posts: 36
Light stand for Manfrotto 024b boom arm

Hi,

I am looking for a relatively light stand that could be paired with the Manfrotto 024b boom arm.

I have read of people using it with the 1005 stand. For my intended usage, with a speedlight alone and eventually a light modifier, this looks to me as too strong and heavy.

I was thinking of pairing it with the Manfrotto 1052 stand, and was wondering if somebody has had any experience with such combination. I also intend eventually to get a lighter counterweight for the boom, that will fit the usage I have in mind.

Thank you in advance for your help.

ScratchDisk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,784
Re: Light stand for Manfrotto 024b boom arm
1

Hi,

That boom is Aluminum and of 25 mm diameter. So, as you suggest, is intended for Speedlites or an Ad 200 or similar coupled with a lightweight modifier.

That means that the stand is not too critical provided the boom is balanced properly.

Although your (?intended) boom comes with a (all Alu) 'Gag' type swivel, there are Grip-heads that accommodate 25mm boom tubes. https://vimeo.com/96062049 The latter would only fit a stand's top fitting (not the top riser) making it preferable that the top fitting was a fully welded-in Baby pin rather than the more usual (shorter) stud. (Both are 5/8th in D). Either type, Gag or Grip-head can be made to work well - it's largely just personal preference.

I've raised more questions ... but I hope it helps with your thinking through.

(Although I'm off-site for my Steel Boom & stands, I'm currently using speedlites from an Alu boom https://vimeo.com/70849504 on an Alu stand - ?not ideal, but lighter than a 1052!)

. . those are Pixapro K-010027 stand, similar to MSE's B387486. Lastolite LA8446-Grip-Head holding Lastolite's non rotating extending handle LL LS2453 as a boom.

 ScratchDisk's gear list:ScratchDisk's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS 90D
S Castle
S Castle Senior Member • Posts: 1,219
Re: Light stand for Manfrotto 024b boom arm

hanay78 wrote:

I am looking for a relatively light stand that could be paired with the Manfrotto 024b boom arm.

I have read of people using it with the 1005 stand. For my intended usage, with a speedlight alone and eventually a light modifier, this looks to me as too strong and heavy.

I use my 024B with a 1005 stand. I would be hesitant to use anything less sturdy.

I was thinking of pairing it with the Manfrotto 1052 stand, and was wondering if somebody has had any experience with such combination.

Actually, the 1052 stand would probably be fine; it just won't go up as high as the 1005.

I also intend eventually to get a lighter counterweight for the boom, that will fit the usage I have in mind.

I've thought about this too. Manfrotto has a 3 lb one for their "mini boom".

I will often use less than the full boom length on the stand, without the counterweight, if I don't need much extension out from the stand. But then you really should have a sandbag on the stand, or use the counterweight on a leg.

-- hide signature --

Shane

Rico Tudor Contributing Member • Posts: 904
Re: Light stand for Manfrotto 024b boom arm

I've thought about this too. Manfrotto has a 3 lb one for their "mini boom".

The Manfrotto iron counterweights are expensive but I won't use anything else, currently owning the 3 lb and two 15 lb units. These clamp onto the boom and, therefore, cannot be knocked off by accident, causing a dire imbalance situation. The clamping force is high so a steel boom is required.

-- hide signature --

Canon, Nikon, Contax RTS, Leica M, Sony, Profoto

OP hanay78 Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: Light stand for Manfrotto 024b boom arm

S Castle wrote:

hanay78 wrote:

I am looking for a relatively light stand that could be paired with the Manfrotto 024b boom arm.

I have read of people using it with the 1005 stand. For my intended usage, with a speedlight alone and eventually a light modifier, this looks to me as too strong and heavy.

I use my 024B with a 1005 stand. I would be hesitant to use anything less sturdy.

I was thinking of pairing it with the Manfrotto 1052 stand, and was wondering if somebody has had any experience with such combination.

Actually, the 1052 stand would probably be fine; it just won't go up as high as the 1005.

I also intend eventually to get a lighter counterweight for the boom, that will fit the usage I have in mind.

I've thought about this too. Manfrotto has a 3 lb one for their "mini boom".

You mean Manfrotto 173b? I am hesitant to buy this instead of 024b and make the boom either buying separatedly the pivoting clamp and the light counterweight, or probably mounting it in a 026 directly.

But 173b is a single bar?  It cannot be divided as I undertand? so that finally it has a size signature slightly larger than 024b, and probably is less flexible in long term usage. Of course it is cheaper too.

An interesting alternative. Thank you for mentioning it

I will often use less than the full boom length on the stand, without the counterweight, if I don't need much extension out from the stand. But then you really should have a sandbag on the stand, or use the counterweight on a leg.

ScratchDisk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,784
Re: Light stand for Manfrotto 024b boom arm

You mean Manfrotto 173b? I am hesitant to buy this instead of 024b and make the boom either buying separatedly the pivoting clamp and the light counterweight, or probably mounting it in a 026 directly.

But 173b is a single bar?

Yes.

Concerning the Manfrotto Lite-Tite Swivel Umbrella Adapter 026, this item has some significant limitations. For many years it has been the benchmark umbrella holder while securing a Speedlite directly onto its upper spigot. The loads in that role are not wildly unbalanced so it remains a reasonable choice.

However if you were to use it, the 026, to secure the 'stand end' of any kind of Mini Boom; i.e. trying to secure a significant lever, it will let you down eventually. Although it may look as if four surfaces are enrolled in creating friction for the angle holding clamp, in fact it's only two - and - they are flat. Contrast that with the superficially similar metal umbrella holders that employ radially cut teeth on the clamped surfaces. These latter are ultimately much more reliable at the proximal end of a mini-boom, IMO.

i.e.: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838894-REG/impact_ca_108_swivel_umbrella_adapter.html

(maybe the only 'Impact' item I would suggest)

or: Flashpoint Swivel Umbrella Adapter.

Better yet, use a Gag, Grip-head or dedicated Boom Pivot item as mentioned & shown above.

 ScratchDisk's gear list:ScratchDisk's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS 90D
(unknown member) New Member • Posts: 13
Re: Light stand for Manfrotto 024b boom arm

hanay78 wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for a relatively light stand that could be paired with the Manfrotto 024b boom arm.

I have read of people using it with the 1005 stand. For my intended usage, with a speedlight alone and eventually a light modifier, this looks to me as too strong and heavy.

I was thinking of pairing it with the Manfrotto 1052 stand, and was wondering if somebody has had any experience with such combination. I also intend eventually to get a lighter counterweight for the boom, that will fit the usage I have in mind.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Why not send an e-mail to the mfr., Manfrotto and ask what they would recommend?

Guillermo Shashte Senior Member • Posts: 1,011
Check the specs

hanay78 wrote:

I was thinking of pairing it with the Manfrotto 1052 stand, and was wondering if somebody has had any experience with such combination. I also intend eventually to get a lighter counterweight for the boom, that will fit the usage I have in mind.

Always check the specs to make a decision.

Load capacity s/b greater than the load. In this case the boom alone exceeds the stand capacity.

Footprint: for this boom s/b at least 43"

"The Manfrotto 024B Boom Assembly is comprised of three sections, extends to ~6.5' (2.1 m) and can easily be disassembled to 28" (71cm) for storage or transport.

The black finish boom sections may be used individually or all together. It will function with the Manfrotto 3082 or any other manufacturer's heavy duty stand."

-- hide signature --

GS

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads