editing metadata

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
isleofgough New Member • Posts: 2
editing metadata
1

I wanted to share my experience with editing EXIF metadata on RAW files where mechanical (dumb) lens adapters are used. This is a common issue with mirrorless cameras where alternate lenses are used along with a mechanical tube adapter. Since there is no electronic connection with the actual lens, no data is sent to the camera on the lens manufacturer, focal length, f stop, or model. This makes it impossible to search for images with certain lenses or focal lengths in Lightroom or Capture One Pro or DXO Photolab.

Surprisingly, although non lens metadata can be added in Lightroom, Capture One Pro and DXO Photolab, I have not been able to edit the lens information "NA" in RAW files using these programs.

I purchased Photo Exifer, which was a big mistake. The demo version does not allow one to save the edits and the paid version corrupts RAW files (and writes them to a separate directory). My experience with RAW files from Leica cameras is that after editing with Photo Exifer, they cannot be opened in Lightroom or Capture One Pro. I don't know about DXO Photolab, as that company is about two years behind in support for newer Leica cameras. The creator of Photo Exifer offers no refunds nor will it fix the software, and Better Business Bureau gave them a one star.

I then purchased MetaImage. It works like a charm and allows one to edit the focal length, manufacturer, model, serial number, f stop and many other EXIF categories. It allows overwriting the original RAW file and does not corrupt the files. One has to reload the metadata in C1P or Lightroom, but it works perfectly. The creator responds quickly to any questions and offered a full refund if it does not work as expected.

Although there are other applications that use command line editing, I can highly recommend MetaImage to anyone who wishes to add accurate EXIF data to their RAW files.

verybiglebowski
verybiglebowski Veteran Member • Posts: 4,404
Re: editing metadata

I am using exiftool by Phil Harvey, it’s free and works well (in lightroom at least).

 verybiglebowski's gear list:verybiglebowski's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 +3 more
E Dinkla Senior Member • Posts: 2,260
Re: editing metadata

verybiglebowski wrote:

I am using exiftool by Phil Harvey, it’s free and works well (in lightroom at least).

+1, using the Windows GUI for ExifTool here.

The Sony ARW files open in Capture One, Photoline, Qimage Ultimate, and whatever other RAW developer I encountered.  The same for Canon RAW files.

I have programmable identification chips (focal length, max aperture) on most of my vintage manual lenses (Canon EF mount added) which is more convenient on the camera and speeds up the process afterwards.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
No photographer's gear list is complete without the printer mentioned !

OP isleofgough New Member • Posts: 2
Re: editing metadata

I heard Paul Harvey's Exiftools was very good, but doing command line editing was not intuitive for me.

I corresponded with a software developer who said he had not personally used MetaImage but that he believed it was based on Paul Harvey's Exiftools, and that is how I heard of the application that I recommended. There may be several good GUI for Windows that use Paul Harvey's tool, but I am doing work mainly on a Mac and generally with C1P as my preferred RAW editor. It is good to know there are other tools out there to do this sort of editing.

I don't think changing the lenses would solve the metadata issue with tube adapters, as there is no electronic communication with the camera. Leica makes an expensive M to L adapter so that the newer SL cameras can use older M lenses, and that will communicate information from the M lenses to the L mount cameras. However, for other lens systems, the better adapters are often dumb adapters (such as the F to L adapter that I use).

Jeff DLB
Jeff DLB Regular Member • Posts: 211
Re: editing metadata

E Dinkla wrote:

I have programmable identification chips (focal length, max aperture) on most of my vintage manual lenses (Canon EF mount added) which is more convenient on the camera and speeds up the process afterwards.

Can you say more about these custom chips? Never heard of them.

I use Exiftool on the command line to manually add lens info.

 Jeff DLB's gear list:Jeff DLB's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
E Dinkla Senior Member • Posts: 2,260
Re: editing metadata

Jeff DLB wrote:

E Dinkla wrote:

I have programmable identification chips (focal length, max aperture) on most of my vintage manual lenses (Canon EF mount added) which is more convenient on the camera and speeds up the process afterwards.

Can you say more about these custom chips? Never heard of them.

I use Exiftool on the command line to manually add lens info.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63474884

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64306840

Of course only usable with a Canon EF mount to a smart adapter like the Sigma MC-11, Metabones IV, etc. On the Canon (D)SLR that kind of chips are needed for focus confirmation, in my case I do not use them for that reason.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
No photographer's gear list is complete without the printer mentioned !

Alan WF
Alan WF Veteran Member • Posts: 3,011
LensTagger

If you’re using Lightroom, I can recommend the LensTagger plugin. It’s a GUI over ExifTool.

Regards,

Alan

 Alan WF's gear list:Alan WF's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +13 more
Jeff DLB
Jeff DLB Regular Member • Posts: 211
Re: editing metadata

E Dinkla wrote:

Of course only usable with a Canon EF mount to a smart adapter

Thank you. I was hoping there might be something more general purpose. I have a couple of old Canon FD lenses (from my AE-1 days) I would like to mount on Sony a6000, as well as a new manual/no-EXIF lens, and it would have been nice to have minimal metadata recorded during shooting.

-Jeff

 Jeff DLB's gear list:Jeff DLB's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
Heritage Cameras
Heritage Cameras Senior Member • Posts: 1,786
Re: editing metadata

Jeff DLB wrote:

E Dinkla wrote:

Of course only usable with a Canon EF mount to a smart adapter

Thank you. I was hoping there might be something more general purpose. I have a couple of old Canon FD lenses (from my AE-1 days) I would like to mount on Sony a6000, as well as a new manual/no-EXIF lens, and it would have been nice to have minimal metadata recorded during shooting.

You can often do this using a combination of a chipped manual-EF adapter and EF-Sony smart adapter. I've used various M42, Contax/Yashica, Nikon AI and Olympus OM lenses on a Sony A7 successfully like this.

Unfortunately Canon FD is one of the fittings that doesn't easily adapt to Canon EF...

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

 Heritage Cameras's gear list:Heritage Cameras's gear list
Sony a7
E Dinkla Senior Member • Posts: 2,260
Re: editing metadata

Heritage Cameras wrote:

Jeff DLB wrote:

E Dinkla wrote:

Of course only usable with a Canon EF mount to a smart adapter

Thank you. I was hoping there might be something more general purpose. I have a couple of old Canon FD lenses (from my AE-1 days) I would like to mount on Sony a6000, as well as a new manual/no-EXIF lens, and it would have been nice to have minimal metadata recorded during shooting.

You can often do this using a combination of a chipped manual-EF adapter and EF-Sony smart adapter. I've used various M42, Contax/Yashica, Nikon AI and Olympus OM lenses on a Sony A7 successfully like this.

Unfortunately Canon FD is one of the fittings that doesn't easily adapt to Canon EF...

True, not easy, though my FD 55mm1.2 SSC has an Ed Mika EF conversion mount with chip and the FD 135mm 2.5 a DIY EF mount with chip. Ernostar like optics in the last one so I thought worth it. Bought it almost 50 years ago for the FTb QL and used it on the AE-1 later on.

More general purpose chips, it would be nice when Sony FE mount chips become available. Meanwhile thinking of the second option I mentioned here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64652561

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
No photographer's gear list is complete without the printer mentioned !

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads