D5600 viewfinder

Started 4 months ago | Questions
technicsplayer. Senior Member • Posts: 2,046
D5600 viewfinder

Just came out of hospital after a couple of weeks with Covid, they say it can fog your memory and I think it has mine. I have an idea that once I could see all 39 focus squares in the viewfinder and move the focus point around normally with the buttons or touchscreen. Now whichever mode I'm in I just have the normal single point square in the viewfinder.

Page 236 of the manual has a picture of the 39 points in Manual focus mode, menu a2,  but they don't all appear in the viewfinder, obviously the screen has the little matrix. Did I just imagine this in the viewfinder?

technicsplayer.'s gear list:technicsplayer.'s gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR Nikon D5600 +5 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D5600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
WPMChan Senior Member • Posts: 1,125
Re: D5600 viewfinder

technicsplayer. wrote:

Just came out of hospital after a couple of weeks with Covid, they say it can fog your memory and I think it has mine. I have an idea that once I could see all 39 focus squares in the viewfinder and move the focus point around normally with the buttons or touchscreen. Now whichever mode I'm in I just have the normal single point square in the viewfinder.

Page 236 of the manual has a picture of the 39 points in Manual focus mode, menu a2, but they don't all appear in the viewfinder, obviously the screen has the little matrix. Did I just imagine this in the viewfinder?

No and Yes.

No. You can't see all 39 focus points on the view finder when on Manual Focus. What you selected in "a2" 39 or 11, are the number of focus point locations that you can use.

When in MF, you can move the single focus point using the multi-selector. If you have chosen 39 in a2, you can move the focus point to any ONE of the 39 locations within the AF envelop.

If you have chosen 11 in a2. you can only move the focus point to any ONE of the 11 locations, which are 11 of the 39.

Yes. You can see multi focus boxes on the view finder when you select "Auto Area AF", if you have multiple objects. The Auto Area AF will show momentarly, a number of focus point locations in the view finder. These focus locations are within the envelop of 39 focus point locations, irrespective of what you have selected in a2, 39 or 11. The "Auto Area AF" will select ONE from the number of boxes on the VF.

You will only see one focus box if you select "Single-point AF"

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
8675309 Regular Member • Posts: 222

Glad to hear you 'came-out' of the hospital - just curious - what would you have done differently to avoid it - were you a mask denier ?... Did you dine in ... ? ... Fly on airplanes?

Curious as I'm sure it would kill me in about 4 days.

OP technicsplayer. Senior Member • Posts: 2,046

Thanks for the reply. I obviously misremembered and must have once focused on something with multiple points which came up in the viewfinder in auto area.

As far as Covid is concerned we have been isolating since last Spring, but my wife got pneumonia and had to go into hospital as an emergency for a week where she caught it. She came home and as I have to look after her the logistics of isolating within the home is pretty well impossible, so after a week I got it too. I was a week in intensive care and 2 weeks on the ward but ok now.

technicsplayer.'s gear list:technicsplayer.'s gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR Nikon D5600 +5 more
8675309 Regular Member • Posts: 222

technicsplayer. wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I obviously misremembered and must have once focused on something with multiple points which came up in the viewfinder in auto area.

As far as Covid is concerned we have been isolating since last Spring, but my wife got pneumonia and had to go into hospital as an emergency for a week where she caught it. She came home and as I have to look after her the logistics of isolating within the home is pretty well impossible, so after a week I got it too. I was a week in intensive care and 2 weeks on the ward but ok now.

Happy to hear you both recovered - my wife ( a professor ) and son ( a student ) are REQUIRED to get tested pretty regularly, and both are at home, and I don't work anymore so we are pretty isolated. I make grocery runs quickly and that's about all the exposure this household has. I wear double masks and sometimes a face shield as well. Wife is going to be eligible for the shot soon, and I'd sell my mother to break line myself. Can't wait for these shots to get rolling - end this b.s. - get back to the world. I'm sure we all feel the same.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads